Typical......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Sorted. If i hack my Blu-Ray and Dvd players will they play optimally? Just a bit worried as i did something very similar to my ps2 years back and that was goosed after i got it chipped, complete waste of money. I'm hoping to make them both multiregion, multizone etc but slightly cautious whether i should do it or not. You any safe recommendations as to remotes, codes etc? Also, still looking for people who have bought from movietyme.com for region free discs, comments needed.

Thanks, Rorschach.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings but the screen cracks may have been caused when the bracket was fitted. I got an aftermarket mounting system and warnings were clearly highlighted about tightening the mounting screws too tightly as this sort of thing can cause undue stress to the TV.

Was it a professional fitter who attempted to fit? They may be responsible and be able to claim from their insurance.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Rorschach:Also, still looking for people who have bought from movietyme.com for region free discs, comments needed.

Hi Rorschach - yes I have ordered a few things from Movietyme - just ensure you order something from the region free list and it should work fine. They take a bit of extra time compared to Amazon and the like, but I haven't had any issues so far.

ÿ

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Have been using Movietyme for years and they are superb but also try axelmusic as they are also very good.
emotion-21.gif

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:

Rorschach:Also, still looking for people who have bought from movietyme.com for region free discs, comments needed.

Hi Rorschach - yes I have ordered a few things from Movietyme - just ensure you order something from the region free list and it should work fine. They take a bit of extra time compared to Amazon and the like, but I haven't had any issues so far.

Thanks professorhat.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:

Oh is this what your screen looks like? as this one is propper fubar!

2536340644_661cc9be75.jpg

Looks a bit like that, but with just three. Cofnchtr, thanks for that, i'm waiting to hear back from the company and going to ring the fitter either today or tomorrow.

Thanks, Rorschach

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Crossing my fingers and toes for your Rorschach.

Other thing - if it's brand new and this is the first time out of the box it may have been damaged in transit - have a look to see if the packaging is bashed etc.

If you have accidental insurance cover as part of your contents policy this should be easy to claim for.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Cofnchtr:Hi, Crossing my fingers and toes for your Rorschach. Other thing - if it's brand new and this is the first time out of the box it may have been damaged in transit - have a look to see if the packaging is bashed etc. If you have accidental insurance cover as part of your contents policy this should be easy to claim for. Cheers, Cofnchtr.

Thanks Cofnchtr, brand new and three cracks, i was next to tears. Luckily the company has apologised for this accident and are sending a replacement on Thursday, this next one should be fine, can't wait. Hopefully when everything's done i'll get a digital camera and take photos and put them in the "show off your set" section, ha ha. I'll get it fitted on thursday and if there's any setting recommendations i require i'll come straight here, should be pretty easy as it's a "no nonsense telly"

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici. Thanks, Rorschach.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
I will, thanks Cofnchtr. Can't wait to get it set up and start tweaking as this is my first "proper tv" (not forgetting my bush crt which blew up, brilliant tv, always be missed R.I.P.) What do you make of Full HD? You pleased with what you see everytime, or do you like regular Dvd's just as much as i've heard some people aren't that chuffed with 1080P Full HD. I never hype for anything so i'm biding my time on this one.

Thanks, Rorschach.

A

Anonymous

is the same company fitting it? if not are you using the same guy as last time; maybe you should try and find a cedia member or similar to fit it (unless he is one already). just thinking about the comments someone made about over tightening the screws.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

My screen don't do full hd but the picture quality is ***insert your own superlative here***. This is on both SKYHD and BD.

It's a step up from 'ordinary' TV - blurays are pin sharp etc. I rarely watch ordinary DVD's but that's a time constraint rather than choice. I've bought lots of bluray's I haven't had time to watch yet and have not watched all of my 'old' DVD's either.

Highly recommend hiring before buying though before you buy to replace an 'ordinary' DVD.

I think the ordinary SD channels are usually quite good quality too but did prefer this set to the full HD version (the PZ) because I thought the SD PQ was better on the PX. Each to their own though as some will prefer it the other way around.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Cofnchtr:Hi, My screen don't do full hd but the picture quality is ***insert your own superlative here***. This is on both SKYHD and BD. It's a step up from 'ordinary' TV - blurays are pin sharp etc. I rarely watch ordinary DVD's but that's a time constraint rather than choice. I've bought lots of bluray's I haven't had time to watch yet and have not watched all of my 'old' DVD's either. Highly recommend hiring before buying though before you buy to replace an 'ordinary' DVD. I think the ordinary SD channels are usually quite good quality too but did prefer this set to the full HD version (the PZ) because I thought the SD PQ was better on the PX. Each to their own though as some will prefer it the other way around. Cheers, Cofnchtr.

Cool, i think i'll try renting before buying as i'm getting piles and piles of Dvd's and Blu - Ray's on my bedroom floor (anyone suggest some good large, wide Dvd racks that are stable and strong for a reasonable price? Tried argos, wanted to look at some alternatives) I chose my set the other way round like you because i hardly watch any SD other than at teatime, even then it's Gordon Ramsay or some interesting documentary which i'll leave and forget after 10 minutes of eating. The neighbour next door who's passed away has this massive tree and i think that would affect my SD signal so i decided in not paying 80 to 150 notes for some dodgy electrician to fit a satellite (although, we do have an LG set downstairs that's got an amazing SD picture, oh well) so because i adore well made, acted, and directed films i went for the Full HD set, i usually watch a film everyday and i've not seen one for three weeks so i'm absolutely itching to see Blue Velvet or Heat on The Big Screen. Anyone with LoveFilm? Good or bad? Thanks, pilgrims.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici. Thanks, Rorschach.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
fast eddie:is the same company fitting it? if not are you using the same guy as last time; maybe you should try and find a cedia member or similar to fit it (unless he is one already). just thinking about the comments someone made about over tightening the screws.

Nah, my uncles fitting it this time. What's cedia?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Can recommend Lovefilm - pretty good choice of Blu-Rays and, as long as you fill you rental list up with lots of titles you want to see, it's quite nice as it's always a surprise when the postman delivers the disc to see what you'll be watching (they send you an email when they post it but I don't read it as I like the surprise
emotion-15.gif
).

CEDIA is the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association. Basically, any certified installer will have a degree of knowledge and understanding on how it's all done and it should guarantee a level of quality in the installation.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Agree with the prof - Lovefilm is a good place to start.

I have a non-subscription membership where I have 10 films to watch over 12 months. Watched 6 already though and I only joined in January!

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Rorschach

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks prof, you seen any films worth mentioning while you've been at LoveFilm? Which were the best? The subscription offers don't look too bad, not that dear, one problem i'll have to overcome though is to stop watching the ones i already have as i love them all. Blockbuster won't last that long i feel anyway, LoveFilm has taken up quite a lot of the rental base in my opinion. What would any of you suggest the first thing i do once my tv is fitted? Calibrate the picture to my own tastes? Thanks Cofnchtr and D.J.KRIME

Thanks, Rorschach.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Certainly check the settings 'out of the box' as they will more than likely be set too high. Usually are.

Adjust in your usual seating position with ambient light at the same level as you'd watch most of the time. If you have a THX disc, check settings with the optimiser as a good starting point then fine tune until you think the picture is good enough/satisfactory.

Sit back and enjoy.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Rorschach:Thanks prof, you seen any films worth mentioning while you've been at LoveFilm? Which were the best?

I've rented quite a few Blu-Rays from Lovefilm now. Highlights for me (for a variety of reasons) so far are:

Dr. No, The Orphanage, 21, Juno, Enchanted, In The Valley of Elah, Son of Rambow, No Country For Old Men, Sweeney Todd, Master and Commander, Eastern Promises, Superbad, Vacancy, Flags Of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, The Island, Sunshine and American Gangster.

Most of the above I've then gone on to buy!

Rorschach:The subscription offers don't look too bad, not that dear, one problem i'll have to overcome though is to stop watching the ones i already have as i love them all.

I know what you mean! I started off with an Unlimited per month with two discs at home tariff but have slowly downgraded to my current status of just 2 films per month with only one at home. Thing is, when I first started out, I had very few Blu-Rays so it was a blessing to get so many in I could watch and use that as the basis of which ones were good to buy. Now I have over 70, I was finding I was becoming a bit of slave to Lovefilm to ensure I was getting my money's worth so I kept reducing my tariff until my most recent one which I think will be good, giving me a chance to still watch 2 new films per month, but still enjoy my existing collection (including the Band of Brothers boxset my brother got me for Christmas which I haven't started yet!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts