Floorstander recommendation

Bgray71

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
Hi gang... New member, and a new set up getting put together !
I would like some recommendations please for a pair of Floorstanders to partner a new Audiolab 6000a Play and 6000CDT...
The budget will be around the £1k mark, with a little wiggle room.....
Interested in what people already have with this set up....
I would like to also include these particular speakers into the mix as I can source them within budget
* Focal Aria 926
* Wharfedale Evo 4.4
* Revel Concerta2 F35
My listening room is a typical 4m x 3.5m Dining room with associated furniture FYI....
Thanks in anticipation for your valued input all... 👍🏼

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
Whatever you do, and you'll get no end of recommendations, go to a shop hook up the Audiolab set up (or use the shops) and listen to as many as you can.

Every time I do, I am struck by what a difference all the components make to a system. That is why 'matching' is soo important. I've found that speakers that are raved about can vary so much between amps that you would not believe they were the same speakers...

That said, for you budget, Q Acoustic or if you can find the money, Spendor. Wharfedale are good speakers too.

I would also look to get a sub, no matter what speakers you buy.

Reactions: Bgray71

matthewpianist

Whatever you do, and you'll get no end of recommendations, go to a shop hook up the Audiolab set up (or use the shops) and listen to as many as you can.

Every time I do, I am struck by what a difference all the components make to a system. That is why 'matching' is soo important. I've found that speakers that are raved about can vary so much between amps that you would not believe they were the same speakers...

That said, for you budget, Q Acoustic or if you can find the money, Spendor. Wharfedale are good speakers too.

Spendors are out of budget.

Bgray71

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
You say you can source these speakers but can you get to audition them?
I wouldn't consider spending that sort of money on something I hadn't heard first.
If online purchase do they have a returns facility?
I would add Dali Oberon 5 to your list along with Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 and those mentioned above.
Hi.. I have auditioned the Dali Oberon 5 already and was reasonably impressed... Auditioned the Focal Aria 926 and noticed a substantial increase (to my ears) in presence... Can audition the Wharf 12.3/12.4 but the Revel Concerta2 's would be a "blind" purchase - of which I'm not keen on...
The recommendations would prompt an audition, as far as I can arrange.. No intention of buying blind, although I have to bear in mind the situation with the Concerta2' s........ 😬

Bgray71

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
Hi.. I have auditioned the Dali Oberon 5 already and was reasonably impressed... Auditioned the Focal Aria 926 and noticed a substantial increase (to my ears) in presence... Can audition the Wharf 12.3/12.4 but the Revel Concerta2 's would be a "blind" purchase - of which I'm not keen on...
The recommendations would prompt an audition, as far as I can arrange.. No intention of buying blind, although I have to bear in mind the situation with the Concerta2' s........ 😬
Sorry, forgot to add that I'm still trying to find out who has the Evo 4.4 to audition... No luck so far, but not giving up

Reactions: Al ears

Bgray71

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site

Definitely intend to audition the recommendations - 100% as far as I can arrange... A sub will not be in the plans unfortunately.... Unless I plum for the budget options as there will be an inevitable cut-off with the cash.....

Bgray71

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site

Which Spendor model are we leaning towards ?? This obviously, has not entered the calculations but will bear in mind..... Are we talking HUGE sound quality improvement over the usual suspects ? Thanks..

Witterings

I had the Focal 926's for a few months, they're absolutely incredible speakers with amazing detail, the only problem I had with them is quite a bit of the music I liked is badly recorded / elevated vocals from the 70's / 80's and with these they could get a little "sharp" on the top end.
I think it's the same with many speakers with metal tweeters and may also largely be down to me as I have minor tinnitus so am particularly sensitive to anything "bright".

When looking to change I compared them to Spendor A7's (you queried which ones), the Spendors made it sound as though you were standing right next to the kick drum at a live performance BUT everything between there and the vocals was lost in comparison to the 926's so didn't feel a change was warranted.

I ended up with ProA D20R's, I know it's puching your budget but they do occasionally come up around the £1500 mark 2nd hand (saw some on marketplace about a week ago).

Bgray71

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
I had the Focal 926's for a few months, they're absolutely incredible speakers with amazing detail, the only problem I had with them is quite a bit of the music I liked is badly recorded / elevated vocals from the 70's / 80's and with these they could get a little "sharp" on the top end.
I think it's the same with many speakers with metal tweeters and may also largely be down to me as I have minor tinnitus so am particularly sensitive to anything "bright".

When looking to change I compared them to Spendor A7's (you queried which ones), the Spendors made it sound as though you were standing right next to the kick drum at a live performance BUT everything between there and the vocals was lost in comparison to the 926's so didn't feel a change was warranted.

I ended up with ProA D20R's, I know it's puching your budget but they do occasionally come up around the £1500 mark 2nd hand (saw some on marketplace about a week ago).
Thanks for the post... I must admit the Aria's sounded fantastic, but was worried that the Bass may put the Mrs off with my room being a bit smaller than the Demo Room I heard them in..... Doesn't need to be HUGE Bass.. I like it "in check" and not overbearing.... 👍🏼

Thanks for the post... I must admit the Aria's sounded fantastic, but was worried that the Bass may put the Mrs off with my room being a bit smaller than the Demo Room I heard them in..... Doesn't need to be HUGE Bass.. I like it "in check" and not overbearing.... 👍🏼
Yep, that's an issue.
The Arias should have 'sufficient ' bass but there is always going to be a big difference between demo rooms and your room so always best to blag a home demo if you can.
That said I did buy my current speakers blind although having heard them in the sellers house so not completely blind......

Witterings

They're not huge on bass though, I was almost underwhelmed with it at 1st, I'd had them quite a few weeks and one day when the Mrs was out I cranked up the volume massively and it really semed to open it up.
The speakers I went to (and others I tried) I get some room modes around 42hz which I didn't with the Aria's, it may partially be because they've the front port although they're only meant to go down to 45Hz so maybe that's why.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the bass being too much with them, a lot of people add a sub with these, I definitely wouldn't consider them as bass heavy.

If you want some music to test the treble try the 1st three tracks on the Genesis album And Then There Were Three and Chris De Burgh but I can't remember if the album was Into The Light ... OR ... Spark To A Flame but make sure you listen to it on other speakers 1st so you have a comparison.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
That room is a tad small for floor standing speakers in all honesty. just my upopular opinion

but out of your original bunch listed, id certainly go out my way to listen to the revels. I've owned some in the past and they're incredible speakers with a far different flavour to the usual European suspects. They are big and bold though.

That room is a tad small for floor standing speakers in all honesty. just my upopular opinion

but out of your original bunch listed, id certainly go out my way to listen to the revels. I've owned some in the past and they're incredible speakers with a far different flavour to the usual European suspects. They are big and bold though.
I think you might be surprised. I use my speakers in a smaller room and they are great.
What I cannot understand is people buying smaller standmounts and then thinking they might need a subwoofer..... Economical nonsense....
I would agree with your thinking on the Revels as my speakers are American as well, bearing in mind that any replacement parts might be hard to come by compared to our home grown speakers, always assuming the OP is a UK resident.

Bgray71

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site

The Revels do review well albeit quite limited content..... I'm assuming these are a higher end than your normal "budget brand", and at £799, plays right into my budget.... But, it's all about hearing them, as you say...

Hi gang... New member, and a new set up getting put together !
I would like some recommendations please for a pair of Floorstanders to partner a new Audiolab 6000a Play and 6000CDT...
The budget will be around the £1k mark, with a little wiggle room.....
Interested in what people already have with this set up....
I would like to also include these particular speakers into the mix as I can source them within budget
* Focal Aria 926
* Wharfedale Evo 4.4
* Revel Concerta2 F35
My listening room is a typical 4m x 3.5m Dining room with associated furniture FYI....
Thanks in anticipation for your valued input all... 👍🏼
You need to audition the above speakers. Sorry to negative.

Bear in mind not only do they have to work with the amp but also the room acoustics. If the room is reflective you need a tonally smoother speaker.

Good luck

Appreciate the comments.. Just to be clear, I WILL ONLY be pulling the trigger following a good, lengthy audition... The recommendations from you rabble (🤣) will just help in case I've missed any obvious "crackers" that should be on "The List"...
Beware Mr HiFi shop man...... 🤣 🤣
Excellent, the list grows long but only your own ears can tell you what is right. We can do nothing else.

TRENDING THREADS