Floorstander recommendation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I think you might be surprised. I use my speakers in a smaller room and they are great.
What I cannot understand is people buying smaller standmounts and then thinking they might need a subwoofer..... Economical nonsense....
I would agree with your thinking on the Revels as my speakers are American as well, bearing in mind that any replacement parts might be hard to come by compared to our home grown speakers, always assuming the OP is a UK resident.
Dont get me wrong they can work ) but I find you have to be able to move them around a fair bit. and the OP's room looks very tight on space at least in the photo. Like I say an unpopular opinion.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
The Revels do review well albeit quite limited content..... I'm assuming these are a higher end than your normal "budget brand", and at £799, plays right into my budget.... But, it's all about hearing them, as you say...
Revel dont give there products to alot of rags to review. The others brands certainly have a louder voice when it comes to reviews. personally they'd be top of the list but thats just me. have fun with the auditioning process!

Revel dont give there products to alot of rags to review. The others brands certainly have a louder voice when it comes to reviews. personally they'd be top of the list but thats just me. have fun with the auditioning process!
Not too sure what you mean about that. Being American they dont tend to be reviewed very often in the UK press, however, they don't need to be for obvious reasons.

gasolin

Wharfedale Linton 85th Heritage with stands are 1195

Kef Q750 999

Q Acoustics 5040 999

Measured to have a very high sensitivity https://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/hifi/q-acoustics-5040/seite-6.html

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and Dom
I have heard the Q Acoustics 5040 and with suitable Hi-Fi can sound wonderfully clear.
Yes, that’s what I’ve read too. They seem to have voiced them brighter than the popular 3000 series, which means they possibly sound more ‘competitive’ with Monitor Audio, PMC, B&W and suchlike, and ideally require more refined amps and sources.

I can’t think of anything I’d go out of my way to hear that’s not already been mentioned, other than B&W if you like vivid. Though I’d suggest the OP hears the Wharfedale Evo 4.3 as well as the 4.4. It’s probably just me, but more often than not I don’t like the ‘top’ model as much as the next one down.

Reactions: Dom

Bgray71

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
Update.......
First of all, thanks everyone for all of your valued and much appreciated feedback/comments... 🙌🏼
OK, have listened extensively to the following......
Wharf Diamond 12.4
Wharf Evo 4.4
Dali Oberon 5
Q Acoustics 3050i
Didn't get to listen to the Revel Concerta2 as it meant a 120 mile each way drive......

All sound well, but then heard the Focal Aria 926......And at a CRAZY relative Price Point of £815.....!!
Given the competitive PP and an unbelievable Audition with the mentioned Audiolab 6000 gear, I've pulled the trigger on these beauties..... Piano Black (Hi Gloss) too....... Look and sound Beautiful !!

Cannot tell you how impressed and gushing I am over these.... 😍
Thanks again for your input... 👏🏼👏🏼

Update.......
First of all, thanks everyone for all of your valued and much appreciated feedback/comments... 🙌🏼
Wharf Diamond 12.4
Wharf Evo 4.4
Dali Oberon 5
Q Acoustics 3050i
Didn't get to listen to the Revel Concerta2 as it meant a 120 mile each way drive......

All sound well, but then heard the Focal Aria 926......And at a CRAZY relative Price Point of £815.....!!
Given the competitive PP and an unbelievable Audition with the mentioned Audiolab 6000 gear, I've pulled the trigger on these beauties..... Piano Black (Hi Gloss) too....... Look and sound Beautiful !!

Congrats. Enjoy your new bundles.

Reactions: Bgray71
Update.......
Wharf Diamond 12.4
Wharf Evo 4.4
Dali Oberon 5
Q Acoustics 3050i

Wow, that’s a stonking bargain for speakers that were almost two grand a decade ago. So glad you were able to audition for yourself too.

In case you’ve not seen it, the estimable Andrew Everard, who once wrote for WHF and now does so for Gramophone and Hifi News, penned this thorough review on his own page. https://andreweverard.com/2013/08/31/review-focal-aria-926-loudspeakers/

Bgray71

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
Wow, that’s a stonking bargain for speakers that were almost two grand a decade ago. So glad you were able to audition for yourself too.

In case you’ve not seen it, the estimable Andrew Everard, who once wrote for WHF and now does so for Gramophone and Hifi News, penned this thorough review on his own page. https://andreweverard.com/2013/08/31/review-focal-aria-926-loudspeakers/
Crazy !! Just read this about an hour ago... 😂
Awesome, reassuring review, but still had to listen to them... Absolutely buzzing !!.
They're BIG, but stunning 👍🏼👍🏼

Pity Andrew doesn't make the occasional post on here. Enjoyed his knowledge and wit

Reactions: nopiano and Messiah

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts