Topping E30 II or E50?

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
Hi I'm shopping for a USB DAC and have decided to buy either the Topping E30 ii or the E50. It looks like the only benefit of the E50 is having fully balanced audio output. Considering I will be driving a pair of Audioengine A5+'s, the E30 is the obvious choice since the A5+'s are unbalanced right?
Thanks

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
The A5+ has RCA phono sockets for inputs, which is common in many Hifi amplifiers and powered speakers. That is a sign they are unbalanced.

By contrast, balanced inputs are usually wired with XLR sockets.

USB DACs are of no interest to me so I can really advise you further, though you’ll probably find dozens of YouTube reviews! Depending on where you live and buy from, my main concern is the potential lack of manufacturers support. But I believe they are fairly modestly priced.

riverofwind

Sep 8, 2023
Visit site
@nopiano Thx I've already read reviews and have decided also not worried about support. Warranty is a little worrisome though...
Am I correct about balanced DACs being for balanced devices mainly and unbalanced for unbalanced devices?

@nopiano Thx I've already read reviews and have decided also not worried about support. Warranty is a little worrisome though...
Am I correct about balanced DACs being for balanced devices mainly and unbalanced for unbalanced devices?
Well, essentially yes. It’s pretty irrelevant at home. Balanced configuration is really for studios to cancel noise from long cable runs and haphazard wiring. Neither really are an issue at home, and it’s quite feasible to convert from phono to XLR if necessary.

At home and with modest kit I’d defy anyone to hear a difference!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts