Tone Controls

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Every time I bought an ampilfier with tone controls I always found it needed them in order to give the sound a bit of weight and zing. Maybe this is because primarily they were cheap budget offerings that were a bit bland when flat. Yet whenever I've bought an amp without tone controls, like my current amps, I've never felt the need for them.

You are not actually saying that only "cheap budget offerings" need tone controls but you came very close :)

Obviously - as we all know - tone controls are also found on some extremely well respected (and expensive) amps too.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
May be another way of saying only cheap products have tone control?.. If that makes you feel better that you spent more hence better sound quality then cnt argue with you. :rofl:

No. I didn't say that. I just said that *possibly* why the amps that I'VE HAD with tone controls needed them is because basically as amps they were cheap and bland. I didn't say ALL amps with tone controls were cheap and bland.

TrevC

MajorFubar said:
Zax89swe said:
instead of a expensive external dac I play from a cheap computer soundcard with some equalizer on.
I'm fine with this so long as you don't think that anyone who buys an expensive external DAC is a crazy idiot who could achieve the same result from any old PC soundcard and an equaliser.

You don't even need an expensive USB DAC to make a huge improvement and find you want to disconnect the equalizer. The Behringer UCA202 is amazing and cheap as chips.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hate internet forums. There's always someone waiting to be Professionally Offended by inferring something from words that just clearly aren't there. Don't you think I know about the dozens of no-doubt brilliant amps that have tone controls? It's just that none of the ones I owned were that brilliant. (JVC AX440, Kenwood 3020, some random Akai, fair few more)

Good grief.

manicm

Tone controls are purely a matter of taste, just not to mine as I've never really found them useful. Case in point when I bought the G*dawful NAD C521i CD player 11 years ago. It was so sibilant I was forced to experiment with the tone controls. Sold the bugg*r, got used to my Pioneeer DVD, and voila, problem solved!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
MajorFubar said:
Hate internet forums

Really? Are you sure about that?

There always seems to be some Professionally Offended person waiting to take insult at the slightest provocation without them ever thinking "hang on, perhaps he didn't mean what he typed in an insulting way, why would he want to p--s me off? Maybe I could seek clarification on the point he was actually trying to put across."

:roll:

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Freddy58 said:
MajorFubar said:
Hate internet forums

Really? Are you sure about that?

There always seems to be some Professionally Offended person waiting to take insult at the slightest provocation without them ever thinking "hang on, perhaps he didn't mean what he typed in an insulting way, why would he want to p--s me off? Maybe I could seek clarification on the point he was actually trying to put across."

:roll:

I know exactly what you mean, but lets not forget the offers of help that can offset that. Sometimes folks can surprise you :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
True. That was touching. Shame i've never heard from that bloke again re the speakers he offered. Tried leaving emails. Will ring him again next week.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I live in that sanctuary of outstanding national beauty called North West England.

Actually that first bit might be a lie. But the North West England bit is true.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Ahh , where God was born , not down south where I'll be all week . But really ,do you need to long term loan some speakers ? I've had alot of help off yourself and others here re computers and streaming , so a pair of Castle Durham 900's for your Marantz or a pair of Dali Menuets if you want to get your cyrus out .

By long term I mean give them back to me or give them away again

James

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow James, I'd never even though about speakers in that league. I'm aware of the Dali's more than the Castles and they were highly rated by WHF but I'd never even put them on my radar. I doubt I could afford to give you the amount of money that you'd rightfully want in exchange for a pair of £900 speakers.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The first ones the royals , these

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?56601-Dali-Royal-Menuet-in-mint-condition!

That's not me just the same speakers , what good are they doing me in the attic ? What good is your best amp doing you in the attic ?

i wasn't trying to sell them to you I am offering them for as long as you need them

James

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Whoops how stupid of me :doh:

The answer is still an emphatic yes, but can I give you a call or email to save hijacking this thead further? Perhaps the mods can pass-on my email address.

hoojtune73

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
im with you on that one freddy

had a few amps latley with no tone controls,just need the treble knob for pop music ie lady gaga,pink etc whose producers think its cool to destroy the mid range of thre customers vocal content and make my tweeters sound metallic!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
hoojtune73 said:
im with you on that one freddy

had a few amps latley with no tone controls,just need the treble knob for pop music ie lady gaga,pink etc whose producers think its cool to destroy the mid range of thre customers vocal content and make my tweeters sound metallic!

I hear you loud and clear on such as this but I think a lot of it's down the average equipment it's been mastered to sound good on. Back in my day when I trained as a recording engineer I did cover the basics of mastering, and back then the idea was you created a sound which was palatable on everything from a small boombox to some lucky sod's Martin Logans. These days I'm not sure that approach stands for 'consumer-grade' music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts