Tone Controls

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Freddy58 said:
Here's a thought.

When we go about choosing a 'system', we try this with that, this with something else and so on until we find something that we like the sound of. Is this not a form of tone control?

Another thought.

If a manufacturer came up with a system that was proven beyond doubt to reproduce music exactly as it was recorded, would everyone buy it?

only if it got 5 stars and we were told to buy it. and it would have to be £5k or nobody would believe it.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Back in my youth , billions of years ago we used to like every kind of stringed insurment , mod / rock / metal / classic / blues / folk and every kind of story related music , you used to get in some places , like the Railway in aston open mikes and some r real players / singers .

it realy was a time when people said you got to get in here theres a guy singing xxx

James

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Back in my youth , billions of years ago we used to like every kind of stringed insurment , mod / rock / metal / classic / blues / folk and every kind of story related music , you used to get in some places , like the Railway in aston open mikes and some r real players / singers .

it realy was a time when people said you got to get in here theres a guy singing xxx

James

I'm probably stupid, but this is relevant because?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
You've moved house. The new layout doesn't allow for your favourite speakers to stand 18" from the wall and corners so the bass is a tad boomy as you now have to place them 6" from the wall and 12" from the corners.

You drop the bass control one or two notches and it sounds excellent again with no boomy bass on the tracks where it was worst.

However, the guys on the forum are telling you 'straight' is best and you should instead change cables, change the speakers, change the amp, treat the room acoustics (you've just moved house, you don't have any money), change the music, move house again, do penance at the shrine of the blessed Julian for your sin, stick foam and egg cartons and carpet off-cuts or velcro some cats behind and to the sides of the speakers, get a divorce ... etc. ANYTHING but use the tone control. ("Move away from the knob. Never touch the knob. Go directly to source and do not collect £200 because you are a disgrace to hi-fi!")

haha.. very true

my music sounds best on headphones anyway, no tone controls involved...

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
seems most people are coming to thier senses as far as HIFI is concerned. WHO MADE THE RULES>> OH THIS IS THE WAY YOU MUST LISTEN TO YOUR MUSIC.. AS FAR AS AM CONCERNED NO ONE TELLS ME HOW TO LISTEN TO MUSIC.. I USE TONE CONTROLS AND IT DOES NOTHING BAD TO THE MUSIC.. CAUSE LIKE SOMEONE MENTIONED PUTTING A SYSTEM TOGETHER IS A FORM OF TONE CONTORL... THE WAY I SEE IT, AS FAR AS MY SYSTEM IS MUSICAL THEN TONE CAN BE DEALT WITH AS FAR AS ITS NOT TOTALLY OVERLY BRIGHT OR DULL.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
If a manufacturer came up with a system that was proven beyond doubt to reproduce music exactly as it was recorded, would everyone buy it?

Aunt Sally argument? ;)

If anyone made music to be reproduce EXACTLY as its being recorded through a Hi-Fi, then he/she would win all the Nobel, Pulitzer, Grammy, Emmy, Oscar etc. prizes. Konosuke Matsushita will rise from his grave and buy him/her a beer and Simon Cowell will say "that is brilliant, flawless."

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Freddy58 said:

Aunt Sally argument? ;)

If anyone made music to be reproduce EXACTLY as its being recorded through a Hi-Fi, then he/she would win all the Nobel, Pulitzer, Grammy, Emmy, Oscar etc. prizes. Konosuke Matsushita will rise from his grave and buy him/her a beer and Simon Cowell will say "that is brilliant, flawless."
:rofl: :rofl:

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Here's a thought.

When we go about choosing a 'system', we try this with that, this with something else and so on until we find something that we like the sound of. Is this not a form of tone control?

Another thought.

I think the point has been missed....

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
So do I because even if such a mythical system did exist everyone would have to listen to it in an identical room. :grin:

You're getting there :) Point is, would everyone like it? After all, at that point, HiFi utopia would have been achieved, wouldn't it? Somehow, I have my doubts that everyone would go for it...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
seems most people are coming to thier senses as far as HIFI is concerned. WHO MADE THE RULES>> OH THIS IS THE WAY YOU MUST LISTEN TO YOUR MUSIC.. AS FAR AS AM CONCERNED NO ONE TELLS ME HOW TO LISTEN TO MUSIC.. I USE TONE CONTROLS AND IT DOES NOTHING BAD TO THE MUSIC.. CAUSE LIKE SOMEONE MENTIONED PUTTING A SYSTEM TOGETHER IS A FORM OF TONE CONTORL... THE WAY I SEE IT, AS FAR AS MY SYSTEM IS MUSICAL THEN TONE CAN BE DEALT WITH AS FAR AS ITS NOT TOTALLY OVERLY BRIGHT OR DULL.

SAY WHAT, NATIVE? CAN'T HEAR YOU!!! :p

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
DocG said:
Native_bon said:

Shouting is a symptom of hearing loss

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
DocG said:
Native_bon said:

Shouting is a symptom of hearing loss

You're an excellent observer, hifikrazy, I'll give you that...

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe that tone controls can improve sound quality. For me the sound should be as smooth as possible without sacrifice details and be to dark/dull sounding and adjusting the treble down on the amplifier might help a bit, instead of a expensive external dac I play from a cheap computer soundcard with some equalizer on.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
I believe that tone controls can improve sound quality. For me the sound should be as smooth as possible without sacrifice details and be to dark/dull sounding and adjusting the treble down on the amplifier might help a bit, instead of a expensive external dac I play from a cheap computer soundcard with some equalizer on.

good for you ! dont let anyone dictate what sounds best for you and that using a tone control is a sin

if turning the bass up to say 3 o clock position makes things sound balanced to you, then so it be

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Every time I bought an ampilfier with tone controls I always found it needed them in order to give the sound a bit of weight and zing. Maybe this is because primarily they were cheap budget offerings that were a bit bland when flat. Yet whenever I've bought an amp without tone controls, like my current amps, I've never felt the need for them.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Zax89swe said:
instead of a expensive external dac I play from a cheap computer soundcard with some equalizer on.

I'm fine with this so long as you don't think that anyone who buys an expensive external DAC is a crazy idiot who could achieve the same result from any old PC soundcard and an equaliser.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Every time I bought an ampilfier with tone controls I always found it needed them in order to give the sound a bit of weight and zing. Maybe this is because primarily they were cheap budget offerings that were a bit bland when flat. Yet whenever I've bought an amp without tone controls, like my current amps, I've never felt the need for them.

Well thats good for you that you dnt need tone controls.. Just as much as others think they need them... There is no rules. Every one should be free to do wht they like.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
May be another way of saying only cheap products have tone control?.. If that makes you feel better that you spent more hence better sound quality then cnt argue with you. :rofl:

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I have owned amplifiers in the past without them and I missed not having them. Its just something I need on my stereo ampfiliers. Having tone contorls helps somewhat when it comes to badly record music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts