Tone controls

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
For many years I had all my amps set to a specific setting in the bass and treble dept. One day I tried my present amp the CXA60 in the Direct setting and I have left it that way now Yes at first it sounded strange and can I say a bit lifeless to my ears but now I wouldn't use any other setting.
I know what you mean. If I use the direct setting on my Onyko amp the volume decreases by a notch and also sounds a tad leaner. I have selected direct while listening to Gregory Porter while writing this and I could get used to it.

Reactions: camcroft

Gray

I a roundabout way because to have a source direct button implies the amp has tone controls......
So if you don't need them why buy an amp with them incorporated?
Yes his amp has got tone controls.....but he's finding he's getting used to the flat sound of source direct .
If there'd been an option I'd have chosen a PM66KI without them, but Marantz like to fit them, so no choice.
A few people have suffered crackly / intermittent source direct buttons, ironically, solely there to bypass the adverse effects of tone controls 🤪.

Yes his amp has got tone controls.....but he's finding he's getting used to the flat sound of source direct .
If there'd been an option I'd have chosen a PM66KI without them, but Marantz like to fit them, so no choice.
A few people have suffered crackly / intermittent source direct buttons, ironically, solely there to bypass the adverse effects of tone controls 🤪.
All the more reason to keep it simple..... :)
The more things fitted = more things to go wrong.

Reactions: Gray

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I a roundabout way because to have a source direct button implies the amp has tone controls......
So if you don't need them why buy an amp with them incorporated?
I suppose it broadens the market for the manufacturer who supply a product for both camps. If you need them, use them; if not bypass them.

shadders

Yes it has
Hi,
Yes, the OP stated :
"In the software age, we seem to have them in the way of EQ controls but I would quite like manufacturers to include them on amps again."
Dirac is a software solution to equalisation or tone controls. Tone controls are hardware based using a simple filter function. They are pretty blunt in their effect compared to an equaliser or Dirac which is much more fine grained tone control.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: nopiano
Hi,
Yes, the OP stated :
"In the software age, we seem to have them in the way of EQ controls but I would quite like manufacturers to include them on amps again."
Dirac is a software solution to equalisation or tone controls. Tone controls are hardware based using a simple filter function. They are pretty blunt in their effect compared to an equaliser or Dirac which is much more fine grained tone control.

Regards,
Shadders.
Yes, that’s surely the point? Tone controls were fine on a radiogram or table radio, but they’re usually far too broad brush for the subtlety an audiophile seeks. Once tone controls seemed to detract more than they added it was easier to delete them, and the rationale of keeping things simple had merit too. Digital controls are infinitely more focussed.

Reactions: shadders

Gray

Tone controls still exist in many amplifiers and always have done. It‘s just a case of avoiding those models that don’t include them if they are something you want.
If it dictates a person's choice of amp then I reckon they're unnecessarily limiting (and possibly compromising) their options - perhaps missing out on an overall better sounding amp - for the sake of correcting the odd wrongly recorded track.
But I understand that some people can't be without tone controls 😐

Barnaby

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm not really wondering if they are bad or good or what is the best way to implement tone control. I probably wouldn't let it dictate my choice of amp. I asked because it seemed to me that there was a definite trend away from tone controls a few years back. If my recollection and perception is correct most amps did have them in the old days. I'm still not sure why they fell out of favour, if indeed this shift actually occured.

Gray

I
If my recollection and perception is correct most amps did have them in the old days. I'm still not sure why they fell out of favour, if indeed this shift actually occured.
Your recollection is correct.
As Al said in post #2, in those old days more was more when it came to buttons, switches and knobs. Tone controls were just part of the trend to simplify and in terms of quality, people learned that less is more......if not straight away, then often after a few years when contamination finds its way between the contacts of the necessary extra controls and bypass switch.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really wondering if they are bad or good or what is the best way to implement tone control. I probably wouldn't let it dictate my choice of amp. I asked because it seemed to me that there was a definite trend away from tone controls a few years back. If my recollection and perception is correct most amps did have them in the old days. I'm still not sure why they fell out of favour, if indeed this shift actually occured.

The simple answer is marketing and brain washing. The hi fi press and some manufactures lead people to believe that bass and treble controls were the work of the devil. Ultimately people were charged more for less.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts