To split or not to split? That is the question!

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Have just ordered a Wharfedale Diamond SW150 which I plan to connect to my Sony STR DH800 via an RCA Phono lead. Should I order a Y-splitter so it goes into both left and right inputs or should I just connect to the left input? I know both will work but just wonder if there is a benefit or detrement to either?

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
I reckon that any modern subwoofer should behave just as well if you connect via the Left (mono) input than if you split the signal. The other thing to check is many subs now have a separate LFE input which usually bypasses the lo-pass filter. If you're using this with an AVR that has an LFE (sub) output and a built-in crossover I would recommend using this instead of any of the other connections.

A

Anonymous

I used to have a SW150 and tried connecting it both ways a d could tell no difference.

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Timbot,

Used an SW150 until very recently (when I moved to a B&W), didn't notice the slightest difference with either sub when using a splitter.

So, from personal experience, I would suggest it isn't worth it.

(But that is just my opinion and, if you're anything like me, you'll go ahead and try it anyway. So if you can do it free / cheaply, give it a whirl!!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts