Streaming on the cheap

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Hello everyone, I've just dipped my toe in audio after discovering what a dac did to my awful android phone's output, and ended up buying some nice used wired iems, followed by some ATH 50X headphones to use when the dac (Fiio KA1) is plugged into the USB c output on my P.C
That made me realise how much I was enjoying the huge difference in audio quality, so my next step was to buy a Cambridge Audio A1 and a Marantz 41CD, both under forty quid. I splashed out £85 on some Mordaunt short M20 speakers, and some Amazon basics cables. I hope it all works, the amp has just arrived.
The CD is yet to arrive, so when I power the amp up tomorrow (I didn't want to switch on a freezing cold amp and have condensation issues) I wondered if I could feed it with files (or Tidal) from my PC's USB C, via the aforementioned KA1 DAC. I have a 3.5mm to twin RCA lead and was planning to plug the RCA leads into one of the inputs. I read that (despite it being labelled Aux/Phono) only phono should use that port, because of distortion issues.
Does what I plan to do sound feasible? Can I do much harm 'experimenting' ?
Many thanks,
Richard

Reactions: Fandango Andy

Gray

Hello everyone, I've just dipped my toe in audio after discovering what a dac did to my awful android phone's output, and ended up buying some nice used wired iems, followed by some ATH 50X headphones to use when the dac (Fiio KA1) is plugged into the USB c output on my P.C
That made me realise how much I was enjoying the huge difference in audio quality, so my next step was to buy a Cambridge Audio A1 and a Marantz 41CD, both under forty quid. I splashed out £85 on some Mordaunt short M20 speakers, and some Amazon basics cables. I hope it all works, the amp has just arrived.
The CD is yet to arrive, so when I power the amp up tomorrow (I didn't want to switch on a freezing cold amp and have condensation issues) I wondered if I could feed it with files (or Tidal) from my PC's USB C, via the aforementioned KA1 DAC. I have a 3.5mm to twin RCA lead and was planning to plug the RCA leads into one of the inputs. I read that (despite it being labelled Aux/Phono) only phono should use that port, because of distortion issues.
Many thanks,
Richard
If the optional phono preamp board hasn't been internally connected to the 'aux / phono' sockets, then it will be OK for use - if it has been, it becomes a phono input and unusable for your purpose.

Haven't you got another line input spare Richard?

Fandango Andy

Many thanks,
Richard
Firstly, welcome to the forum, and the infinite rabbit hole that is hifi. Well done on what sounds like some great second hand purchase, hope they all work out.

What plan to do sounds fin in theory, however I am not familiar with the inputs on that particular amp. If the phono input is connected to a phono stage (preamp) then it will only work for a record player/turntable. If it is just an input that has been labelled phono, you can plug any RCA into it, just like all the other inputs. The easiest way to tell if there is a phono stage is to see if there is a binding post labelled "ground". If there is, this may be the next adventure, its all ready if you want to get a record player and some vinyl records.

Having said all that, it should all be academic as you should have 2 to 4 other inputs, despite being labelled tape/cd/dvd/video/mini disk or whatever, you can plug anything into them.

The next step after that, if you really get into it is a streamer. You could spend thousands on one, but the WiiM mini at £89 (often on sale for £80) is as much as you will need, The internal DAC isn't great so you will best to connect to an external one, but it sounds like you have that.

Reactions: Symples

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I didn't realise I could plug anything into the other RCA inputs, despite what they're labelled as. My research shows the input marked Aux/Phono is connected to a seperate board
Yes, there is a ground post, so a turntable is a possibility, though I think I'll concentrate on CD and streaming for now.
Do streamers such as the Bluenote and others run the risk of becoming obsolete in the future? I see they boast of supporting Tidal etc, and various file types, but these may not be around for too long perhaps? Not an issue with a £89 Wiim, but spending thousands, only to lose some functionality? Maybe they have safe guarded the future, and they can be modified and updated? Fortunately I don't have that money!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fandango Andy

Fandango Andy

Thanks everyone, I didn't realise I could plug anything into the other RCA inputs, despite what they're labelled as. My research shows the input marked Aux/Phono is connected to a seperate board
Yes, there is a ground post, so a turntable is a possibility, though I think I'll concentrate on CD and streaming for now.
Do streamers such as the Bluenote and others run the risk of becoming obsolete in the future? I see they boast of supporting Tidal etc, and various file types, but these may not be around for too long perhaps? Not an issue with a £89 Wiim, but spending thousands, only to lose some functionality? Maybe they have safe guarded the future, and they can be modified and updated? Fortunately I don't have that money!
As far as obsolescence goes, that will only happen when the manufacturer stops software updates. I understand that is an issue with early Sonos. The more immediate thing is price. A few years ago you would have had to pay £500+ maybe even £1,000 for something with the sound quality and connectivity/compatibility of the WiiM at £89.

WiiM are big on upgrades they are constantly improving and fixing things. They are a relatively new brand, but the parent company Linkplay Technology Inc has been around for years working with other companies including Google.

As to how good they sound. The only direct side by side test I have done is between a WiiM Mini and a Bluesound Node 2. I tried the WiiM with its internal DAC and a £20 Chinese DAC from Amazon. The surprising thing is how similar they sound. No difference in clarity, the WiiM is a little more punchy and forward. I then upgraded the DAC to an SMSL SU-1 £80 and it was even better. Unfortunately I had given the Bluesound back by this point so didn't compare that directly.

Gray

My research shows the input marked Aux/Phono is connected to a seperate board
The A1 was a secondhand purchase wasn't it Andy?
If so, didn't its previous owner confirm whether or not the phono preamp board had been fitted?

You could open up the amp and be sure for yourself - but as you've got enough other line inputs, best to just avoid those particular sockets with your streamer.

Optimists and rich people don't worry about obsolescence. Some of them think that, if you get 5-7 years out of a product, you've done well.
Others , including me, have owned and used the same things for 40 years - and would be disappointed if anything stopped working at somebody else's whim.
Bottom line is..... I think you're wise to go for a low cost streamer (as per your thread title) 👍

Reactions: JDL

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Yes, it does have a phono board in it, I asked.As you suggested I used the vacant tuner connections and powered it up this afternoon and fed it from my p.c, via the Fiio DAC. I streamed both Tidal Hi-Res (on a trial which I won't renew as Hi Res), and FLAC files from my P.C. I was delighted, to say the least. Now I can't wait to plug the CD player in !
I am enjoying pointing out how cheap and old my stuff is, indeed my much-younger pal was born the year my A1 was launched.

Reactions: njprrogers and Gray

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Rather than stream Tidal off my P.C I have 'invested' in a Wiim Pro Plus, and instantly heard the difference. Now I'm wondering if there would be any advantage in putting the CD RCA output through the Wiim ? The CD player (Marantz 41) sounds great to me, currently fed straight into my A1 int. amp, but would it benefit from going through the Wiim's DAC, as it leaves the CD player as analogue? That got me thinking if there was any advantage if signals go through more than one DAC?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts