Low budget subwoofer for hifi (60-70 to 35hz under 270 euros)

gasolin

Subwoofer for hifi

Wharfedale sw150, Wharfedale WH-D8 or D10, jamo s808, sub210, presonus eris sub8

Give me your best bid for a new subwoofer, i only have one pair of output (left right)in my current setup , so adapter,splitter cable or line in and line out on the subwoofer

Deeper bass,more bass extension for more punchy sound playing pop,rock music with bass under 60-70hz down to 35-40hz, no port shuffeling, i would prefere high pass filter

If i wanted to spend the money i would get a krk s8.4 , my prefered budget is just 30-40 to 100 euros under the thomann.de price of that subwoofer (i can get it somewhere elkse with faster delivery than thomann.de) Under 270 eros i would prefer no more than 200 euros with cables,splitters,adapters

Last edited:

gasolin

For not a lot of money, you’re not going to find much that digs under 30Hz, and even at that frequency, it won’t be particularly meaty. Look out for a used SVS or something. Few subs that dig deep have real punch though.

I wrote from 60-70hz down to around 35hz not something crazy that costs the double of my budget and goes lower than 30hz (if it does it's just a nice bonus)

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
second-hand Rels, Velodyne's, Micro vee's (Velodyne) come up quite often and might do the trick and fit the bill assuming you don't mind second-hand and isn't to small. Liked my Velodyne is was a little powerhouse for its size.

BK is a good brand as said above though might be quite expensive shipping outside of the UK. though again plenty of them secound hand and they also have a factory seconds ebay outlet.

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
Why would,should i buy that sub ?
This is the best question of the thread I think. It depends on room size, usage, current setup, etc.

Plenty of articles on topic around, I know I don't need one 😁

I assume OP already figured a sub is really needed ..?

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
I just don't have bass ass when i would have had the eve audio 207, 2070 or 208

For mixing,making music you need a sub

Ah, for creating and mixing, I wouldn't know.

One thing I learned in my process is that my speakers were able to provide bass, but not my amp. Just changing the amp brought all the oomph and bass tightness I was looking for, plus many other benefits.

I would be tempted to go back to what others have said in other threads: it's all about balance. Adding a sub is one solution, but it might not be the only solution. It might not even solve your problem (but heh, it could!!!)

Only concern is at this price range, it might be difficult to try first, and bring back if not satisfied, right?

Is your room big? I ask because I have a small room, and when I tried a sub, it was not noticeable in the room - but oh did the rest of the family complain about the bass 🤣

gasolin

Medium sized room

My mission lx3 mk2 also didn't have any bass, tried a slightly bigger amp and it improved a little (didn't have any noticeable bigger,more powerful amp)

My sub needs to be adjusted more, if i could find something like a used surround processor i would buy one to get more adjustments, mini dsp isn't cheap and some say it has a mediocre dac.

After changing to my tube preamp and a new dac i just felt the bass wasn't deep enough, don't know how the frequency responce is, it doesn't have to be flat to sound good, so fare i have raised 80 on my eve audio's by 1db.

My goal was to have a more audiophile bass extention to under 40hz.

I would prefer a tight slightly dry bass then a deep, warm round bass

Big pa subs are most for loud music, have heard a 15 or 18" ld systems sub, could have been dave 15 or 18, where people where sitting the bass vas good, not to much, but close to a wall 2 meters or there about, the bass was super loud, one place pop,rock music another place edm hard techno.

I just think i need more adjustments phase 0 or 180, gain and crossover isn't much but it has 3 sub,basses, that should have a little advantage to 1 bigger sub 10 or 12" because theres bass form the right,left and in the middle and there for should have less nulls or places where there isn't so much bass compare to a subwoofer with only 1 bass even when bass isn't directional

Last edited:

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My goal was to have a more audiophile bass extention to under 40hz.
In order to maximize bass extension the room size, room dimensions and subwoofer placement should be ideal. Judging from the manual of mine this means among other things placing the sub several feet from both back and side wall.

podknocker

Have you tried placing the sub on a stand (like a stool for example)? According to the following web page, "One of the best spots to place your subwoofer is in an elevated position in your living room."

Subwoofer Placement – The Ultimate Guide
This makes sense.

Keeping a bass speaker/cabinet away from room boundaries is a good thing, to avoid any nasty interaction or resonance.

You need at least a wavelength of bass to travel across the room anyway.

A 30 Hz wave is 38 feet long, so there might be problems fitting this into a smaller room.

The floor is a room boundary, like a ceiling, just a horizontal one.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts