Question Audio input question

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I'd like to ask a question and wondering what's the best route. (Pun intended)
I use two CD players. My integrated amplifier has 1 dedicated CD input and several other line level inputs.
According to the manufacturer they've put some special effort and design expertise into the line level CD input in particular. I believe this boils down to shielding the left and right channels from each other to a greater extent than the other line level inputs, for improved fidelity or something like that.
My question is if I were to run both CDPs into a good quality audio RCA switcher so that both CD players can be run into the dedicated CD input, will that negate any benefit of the 'special CD input' because I'm introducing an extra component into the signal path.
Am I better off just running one of the CD players, as I do now, into
'aux 1'?
Are there any RCA switchers on the market that one could reliably assume would not degrade the signal?
If anyone has any thoughts on this, terrible dilemma I'm faced with, I'd appreciate your advice.
My suspicion is that using a switcher would be pointless and it's more likely to be a negative gain than a beneficial one.

Gray

According to the manufacturer they've put some special effort and design expertise into the line level CD input in particular.
I'd turn it around and ask that manufacturer why they thought it was OK to compromise all the other line inputs 🤔🙂

In the same way, some amps use gold sockets only on what they consider to be the priority inputs - I've just realised, I did that when I made my own switchbox 🙄
IMG_20230426_151605_MP.jpg

I also used high quality switches, with self-wiping contacts, wired to minimise crosstalk.
IMG_20230426_152325_MP.jpg
But, depending on the switchbox you bought, chances are your signal could be compromised at least as much as by using one of your other 'inferior' line inputs.

I agree with Al, you'd be hard pushed to hear the difference.

In older amps with a 'tape monitor' button, there's a good case for using the tape input as your priority input (with tape monitor in)....because then the signal passes through one fewer set of switch contacts.

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_152325_MP.jpg
    IMG_20230426_152325_MP.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 3
I'd turn it around and ask that manufacturer why they thought it was OK to compromise all the other line inputs 🤔🙂

In the same way, some amps use gold sockets only on what they consider to be the priority inputs - I've just realised, I did that when I made my own switchbox 🙄
View attachment 5679

I also used high quality switches, with self-wiping contacts, wired to minimise crosstalk.
View attachment 5681
But, depending on the switchbox you bought, chances are your signal could be compromised at least as much as by using one of your other 'inferior' line inputs.

In older amps with a 'tape monitor' button, there's a good case for using the tape input as your priority input (with tape monitor in)....because then the signal passes through one fewer set of switch contacts.
Nice box.
I am a keep it simple man.
I would very much dou the other line level inputs are so compromised you would hear a difference and more chance of that by adding yet another box and more cables.

Reactions: JDL and Gray

Gray

Nice box.
I would very much dou the other line level inputs are so compromised you would hear a difference and more chance of that by adding yet another box and more cables.
Definitely, the best switch is no switch when it comes to signals.

My own box was because I wanted to connect any source into two line inputs on a mixer....so ultimate quality wasn't an issue.
(Having said that, I wouldn't have wanted to take the blind test challenge....which probably should be the ultimate proof of anything).
IMG_20230426_151514_MP.jpg

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

View attachment 5679

View attachment 5681

I would suggest you are going to be hard pushed to hear any difference between one in the CD input and one in any other line level input.
I think you're right. I don't think I have been able to tell the difference between the CD input and the other line ins that I've used to be honest. They are all gold plated though!! 😄

Reactions: Gray

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Nice box.
Yes, my thoughts are along the same lines as yours.
But...hang on, look at Gray's handy work. Now if I could have something like that ..well, that's a very impressive switcher. Is that man handy, or what!😄

Reactions: Al ears

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

My own box was because I wanted to connect any source into two line inputs on a mixer....so ultimate quality wasn't an issue.
(Having said that, I wouldn't have wanted to take the blind test challenge....which probably should be the ultimate proof of anything).
View attachment 5682
Wow Gray, I'm very impressed with your handy work. You've really got some fabrication and soldering skill going on. Respect!

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Nice box.
I agree. And when I looked at the various RCA switch boxes available, I wasn't over impressed and you don't really know what you're getting.
There is a Luxman one, but that's about £130 from Japan, without the import duty and extra cables.
Better off keeping the money I'd save towards my bulk coffee purchases. 😀

Gray

Wow Gray, I'm very impressed with your handy work. You've really got some fabrication and soldering skill going on. Respect!

I LOVE THIS :love::love::love:
Thanks 👍👍
Made in the last month of the 1980s.
Needed the diagram on the bottom to remind me what it was supposed to be doing:IMG_20230426_152032_MP.jpg
34 years ago, I was yet to learn what I now know....that life's too short 💀

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Thanks 👍👍
Made in the last month of the 1980s.
Needed the diagram on the bottom to remind me what it was supposed to be doing:View attachment 5688
34 years ago, I was yet to learn what I now know....that life's too short 💀
Amazing, great work.

I studied audio electronics for a year at London Guildhall. The third year project would be to design & build a piece of studio equipment. I really wish I'd stuck it out, but logarithms didn't make any sense to me & it never occurred to me at 18 that I needed to do some foundation maths alongside. Come to think of it, I can't quite believe they let me on the course with a C at GCSE Maths & a GNVQ in Media Studies :LOL:

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

Gray

Amazing, great work.

I studied audio electronics for a year at London Guildhall. The third year project would be to design & build a piece of studio equipment. I really wish I'd stuck it out, but logarithms didn't make any sense to me & it never occurred to me at 18 that I needed to do some foundation maths alongside. Come to think of it, I can't quite believe they let me on the course with a C at GCSE Maths & a GNVQ in Media Studies :LOL:
There was no such fun as Media Studies when I was at school!
I get what you mean about maths. Think I got grade 4 CSE at school.

I did a few years City and Guilds electronics servicing course at college.
At the start, I told the lecturer that if he started writing formulae on the board, I was going home. The class laughed - but I was serious.
Fortunately, he didn't.

Later I got some Microsoft Word / Access NVQs, but instantly forgot what I learned - probably because I don't much like computers.
(Doesn't surprise me that NVQs are known as 'No Value Qualifications' 😐).

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

View attachment 5682
Nice switch box (y)
oh, you could try :ROFLMAO:
1702041120270.png

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

View attachment 5679

View attachment 5681

Nice soldering Gray, so tidy.

TRENDING THREADS