Question Connect a Technics SUZ960 (80s era stereo integrated amplifier) to a Polk PSW110 (active sub with speaker inputs and rca)

jubilee1984

Sep 19, 2023
Visit site
I've been running into conflicting advise with this, though a majority have suggested that I simply connect the Technics SUZ960 to the Polk PSW110 subwoofer via speaker wires. The Technics has a "Main" and "Remote" set of terminals. Mains are already outputed to pair of bookshelves. Remotes are available, so the advise is to connect this to the speaker in terminals of the PSW110).

Others have said to connect the tape rec out of the Technics to the line in of the PSW110 via rca.

For the first suggestion, I have read "NEVER connect active speakers to powered amplifiers unless you want to destroy them both." others say that internal circuitry of subwoofers with high-level speaker inputs will correct any imbalance.

For the second suggestion, (rca) others have suggested not to do this as well because rca outputs have fixed levels.

The PSW110 Manual suggests neither of the above; it says to connect the main speaker out of the technics to the speaker in of the PSW110, and then to connect my bookshelves to the speaker out of the PSW110.

Polk support on FB gives me the same advise I first mentioned here.

Any comments?

Last edited:
The PSW110 Manual suggests neither of the above; it says to connect the main speaker out of the technics to the speaker in of the PSW110, and then to connect my bookshelves to the speaker out of the PSW110.
That suggestion would help someone with only one set of speaker outputs on their amp. And it might mean the subs send a filtered signal (with less bass) to your main speakers.

jubilee1984

Sep 19, 2023
Visit site
That suggestion would help someone with only one set of speaker outputs on their amp. And it might mean the subs send a filtered signal (with less bass) to your main speakers.
Yes, that is my understanding as well. In any case, I tried the first suggestion (Mains to bookshelves, Remotes to Sub via speaker wires). Activating the switch to enable Main+Remotes to play simultaneously, resulted in no sound. Mains output sound when enabled, but Remotes have to be disabled. The same is true for the reverse – Remotes (which are attached to the sub) output sub freqs. when enabled, but Mains have to be disabled. I believe this is related to whether or not these switches are wired in parallel or series.

That said, I went ahead with the suggestion of Polk tech support/operating manual. It appears to be working and the low pass filter responds accordingly; but what's unsettling is that I don't understand why/how there are so many varying opinions on this. What I haven't tried yet is connecting both bookshelves AND the sub, to the same speaker output of the amp (Bookshelf L, Sub L to Mains L; and Bookshelf R, Sub R to Mains R) as others have also suggested. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
What I haven't tried yet is connecting both bookshelves AND the sub, to the same speaker output of the amp (Bookshelf L, Sub L to Mains L; and Bookshelf R, Sub R to Mains R) as others have also suggested. Any thoughts on this?
I wouldn’t be inclined to try that, because I don’t know what the combined load on the amplifier might be. Given that the amp seems designed to play one pair OR another - rather than both simultaneously - I would infer it isn’t awfully stable with anything other than a regular pair of speakers.

You might be fortunate and it just cuts out, and after a few moments resets itself. Or you might find some nasty white smoke emerging, or a show of indoors fireworks, which wouldn’t be a good thing!!

Given that your main speakers will be relieved of low frequencies if connected as Polk suggest, they will sound more in control, and the Polk subs will do the heavy lifting. That’s really the point!

Reactions: jubilee1984

TRENDING THREADS