Question Astell & Kern DAP to Amp or Active Speaker Setup?

Chop

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Hello All,
I currently own an Astell & Kern SP2000T DAP and use headphones (Meze 99 Classics) or a Schiit Audio Vali headphone amp with Sennheiser HD650s. I buy FLAC files via HDTRACKS and typically have the higher res options. I live in an apartment and use an Apple TV (4th gen), so would like to be able to add this into the mix.

I want to have the option to listen to the DAP more freely through loudspeakers. I have been looking at:
  • Devialet Phantom II 98DB stereo pair
  • KEF LS50 wireless II
  • Klipsch The Fives or Sevens
I realize I need to understand the signal chain and Digital to Analog a little better. Using wireless options with the above I see that it is pointless to achieve the full potential of the high res files. I also heard back from Devialet today: "The 3.5mm input on the Phantom II only supports Inputs up to 24bits/96kHz"

Astell & Kern also confirmed: "24 bit 384kHz works via all terminals"

So it seems I best take the 3.5mm stereo out of the SP2000T and take it to either a suitable wireless active speaker setup OR I go down the route of an amp and bookshelf speakers. I had wondered about Cambridge Audio's EVO 75, but that might be overkill. The amp would need Airplay 2 to cater for my other devices, and Apple TV, although I could consider the HDMI ARC option. I am thinking along the Marantz line and Polk bookshelves.

So, am I right in assuming that the DAC within the SP2000T will take care of the digital to analog conversion and pass out an analog signal via the 3.5mm socket, thus rendering the discussion pointless of bitrates and sampling rates?
Therefore, an analog input to an amp or active speaker will simply be taking a clean and high resolution sounding sound from something like a 24 Bit 384kHz Jazz track and making the most of it?

My budget sits around £3000.

Any clarification on this would be much appreciated!

Reactions: record_spot

Vincent Kars

am I right in assuming that the DAC within the SP2000T will take care of the digital to analog conversion and pass out an analog signal via the 3.5mm socket, thus rendering the discussion pointless of bitrates and sampling rates?
Depends.
If you use the 3.5 analog out of the AK, you are using the internal DAC of the AK.

Using any digital output of the AK, you are using the DAC of the receiver.
As the 3.5mm doubles as a Toslink (SPDIF over optical), you send a digital signal to the receiver. Toslinks is capped at 24/96 kHz.
If you connect it to a USB DAC the AK can probably do 384 kHz max. Your USB DAC must support this.
If you use AK Connect, this is simply UPnP/DLNA so you can do 24/ 192 max.
If you are using Bluetooth, you get lossy compression.

Chop

Apr 12, 2023
Visit site
Depends.
If you use the 3.5 analog out of the AK, you are using the internal DAC of the AK.

Using any digital output of the AK, you are using the DAC of the receiver.
As the 3.5mm doubles as a Toslink (SPDIF over optical), you send a digital signal to the receiver. Toslinks is capped at 24/96 kHz.
If you connect it to a USB DAC the AK can probably do 384 kHz max. Your USB DAC must support this.
If you use AK Connect, this is simply UPnP/DLNA so you can do 24/ 192 max.
If you are using Bluetooth, you get lossy compression.
Hi Vincent.
Thanks for your response. Please forgive my ignorance; If I use a 3.5mm stereo plug to RCA LR pair to an amp, will that signal not be analog?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts