Distortion on RCA input

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
I recently bought a CA A1 int amp for a bargain £40. I have a WiiM Pro Plus and a Chord Mojo which was fed, via line out on the Mojo, to the RCA sockets labelled Tape /MD.
Everything sounded great but yesterday I noticed a tiny bit of distortion had developed. By elimination I worked out it was that circuit, so changed to AUX/Phono and returned to clarity.
I am a total beginner and hope to replace the amp with something boasting digital inputs in the near future, but I'm curious as to what may have happened, and wonder if I run the risk of harming other inputs? I'm sure it is just a case of what do you expect with a thirty year old amp, or why did you plug it into Tape/MD you fool(!) Glad I started cheap anyhow.

I recently bought a CA A1 int amp for a bargain £40. I have a WiiM Pro Plus and a Chord Mojo which was fed, via line out on the Mojo, to the RCA sockets labelled Tape /MD.
Everything sounded great but yesterday I noticed a tiny bit of distortion had developed. By elimination I worked out it was that circuit, so changed to AUX/Phono and returned to clarity.
I am a total beginner and hope to replace the amp with something boasting digital inputs in the near future, but I'm curious as to what may have happened, and wonder if I run the risk of harming other inputs? I'm sure it is just a case of what do you expect with a thirty year old amp, or why did you plug it into Tape/MD you fool(!) Glad I started cheap anyhow.
Possibly something to do with the output voltage of the Mojo, I seem to recall it being switchable.
The amp inputs may not like anything above 2v.
You should be able to plug in to any phono sockets but I would avoid AUX/Phono unless it is switched to AUX.
Try Tuner or CD or whatever else you have there.

Reactions: twinkletoes

Gray

....changed to AUX/Phono and returned to clarity.
Those aux sockets go to the same place within the amp as the Tape / MD sockets do.

The input selector switch determines which sockets 'get through'.

And that is where your problem (almost certainly) is. Contamination of the switch contacts will be causing the distortion.

Look up a product called 'Servisol Super 10'
That is more than likely to be your solution.

Incidentally, if you were to have the amp 'serviced', you'd be getting little more than a few squirts of contact cleaner / lubricant.

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Those aux sockets go to the same place within the amp as the Tape / MD sockets do.

The input selector switch determines which sockets 'get through'.

And that is where your problem (almost certainly) is. Contamination of the switch contacts will be causing the distortion.

Look up a product called 'Servisol Super 10'
That is more than likely to be your solution.

Incidentally, if you were to have the amp 'serviced', you'd be getting little more than a few squirts of contact cleaner / lubricant.
Thanks, I have some contact cleaner I use for my big diesel generator. I didn't think, after paying only £40, I would get much of a service, but it's nice it was opened, cleaned and checked. Better than buying blind, for sure. I should have added the Tape/MD socket is controlled by a button (the other inputs are on a switch), so I'll give it a clean/investigate.
With USB, coax and optical inputs on your Mojo, do you need a different amp?
I like being able to alter the balance on my speakers slightly if I can't be bothered swinging my sofa round to a 'serious listening' position, for one thing.
I bought vintage gear just to get started and I'm blown away with the sound I've got, but will join the 21st century when funds allow.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I should have added the Tape/MD socket is controlled by a button (the other inputs are on a switch)
Yes, sounds like the old 'tape monitor' button.
Make sure you give its contacts and those of all other switches and rotary controls a spray and a few activation wipes.

Not sure, but you may have misunderstood me when I said, 'do you need a different amp?'
To be clear, what I meant was not that you should get another, but is it even necessary to buy another, when you're perfectly happy with what you have.
(Nothing wrong with a 30 year old amp....one that may well do another 30, after your 'repair') 👍

Reactions: Al ears

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Yes, sounds like the old 'tape monitor' button.
Make sure you give its contacts and those of all other switches and rotary controls a spray and a few activation wipes.

Not sure, but you may have misunderstood me when I said, 'do you need a different amp?'
To be clear, what I meant was not that you should get another, but is it even necessary to buy another, when you're perfectly happy with what you have.
(Nothing wrong with a 30 year old amp....one that may well do another 30, after your 'repair') 👍
I am indeed perfectly happy with my sounds right now, and in any case some better speakers ought to be the next thing, though I'm struggling to fault what I've got.
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll warm up that aerosol.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts