Question What is the best amplifier to use with Bowers & Wilkins CM8 S2?

Ozirules

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

Just picked up a lovely pair of CM8 S2's and on the hunt for a suitable amplifier.

Currently considering the Rotel A11 MII and Cambridge CXA81 as these are both within my budget.

Has anybody had good or bad experiences with these amps or is there another option that would be more suitable at this price point?

For a little more detail, I want to connect the pair of CM8's, Home TV, gaming console and turntable to complete my setup in my living room. The room dimensions are 8m x 5m but is in the attic so ceiling height is low to high following the pitch of the roof going from 2m to 4m from low to high, hope this info helps.

If anybody has any advice please let me know and looking forward to this discussion :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lindo68

Fandango Andy

No experience of either. Having said that, it tends not to be a case of better or worse, its what suits you. Personally, I like Merantz and Audiolab. There us no substitute for an audition, find a friendly hifi show who will let you try a couple of amps.

Providing it is suitably powered for the speakers the amp doesn't really matter in relation to room size and dynamics, that's more about the speakers. If you do have any issues, you can play with positioning and treatments if needed.

Reactions: Ozirules

Ozirules

Dec 13, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for the advice, I might try find a place to audition some of these amplifiers to see which is suited to my taste. Will add Marantz and Audiolab to the list of contenders :)

From looking at previous discussions on this forum it seems the Rotel amplifiers work quite well with a B&W pairing but I guess these previous post may be a bit outdated due to the age of the speakers.

I will find a place to audition the suggested amps and report back (y)

Reactions: matthewpianist

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Rotel and B&W have been close creative collaborators for decades.

I love my A12 integrated: It makes my Martin Logan LX16s Sing! The A11MKII appears quite similar, but I haven't studied it, and don't know what the MKI would have been or is.

Emjaybee

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

Just picked up a lovely pair of CM8 S2's and on the hunt for a suitable amplifier.

Currently considering the Rotel A11 MII and Cambridge CXA81 as these are both within my budget.

Has anybody had good or bad experiences with these amps or is there another option that would be more suitable at this price point?

For a little more detail, I want to connect the pair of CM8's, Home TV, gaming console and turntable to complete my setup in my living room. The room dimensions are 8m x 5m but is in the attic so ceiling height is low to high following the pitch of the roof going from 2m to 4m from low to high, hope this info helps.

If anybody has any advice please let me know and looking forward to this discussion :)
Hi, I run the Rega Elicit R amp with my B&W C 8 speakers, along with the Planer 8, Ania MC cart and Rega Aria Mk3. Awesome sound and you can pick up a Rega Elicit R at reasonable money.

Reactions: Al ears

Pouakai

Apr 20, 2024
Visit site
Bumping this thread! I have the CM8 s2s and run them with a vintage Sansui AU-317 (recapped) listening to vinyl only. I bi wire with the A and B channels going to the hi and low inputs.

Sound is great, but Sansui has its own colour, and maybe not as good a fit as a rotel or Cambridge Audio. Finally looking to upgrade my amp, I don't need anything with USB, ideally just something with a great phono stage built in. Room size is about 4x5 meters.

What are people's recommend for a great two channel amp that would match these speakers?

FYI I bought the cm8 s2s in 2018. Actually went in to audition the then new 704s2, which was supposed to be an upgrade Cm8 s2, but for some reason really loved the sound of the CM8 s2 and got those instead. Anyone else prefer this earlier series?

Last edited:
Bumping this thread! I have the CM8 s2s and run them with a vintage Sansui AU-317 (recapped) listening to vinyl only. I bi wire with the A and B channels going to the hi and low inputs.

Sound is great, but Sansui has its own colour. Finally looking to upgrade my amp, I don't need anything with USB, ideally just something with a great phono stage built in. Room size is about 4x5 meters.

What are people's recommend for a great two channel amp that would match these speakers?

FYI I bought the cm8 s2s in 2018. Actually went in to audition the then new 704s2, which was supposed to be an upgrade Cm8 s2, but for some reason really loved the sound of the CM8 s2 and got those instead. Anyone else prefer this earlier series?
What is your budget? And welcome to the forum!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts