this any good ??

maxflinn:

Onkyo A-1VL Digital Stereo Amplifier ??

ta..

If you're looking at a warmish sounding amp, then maybe this could be for you. Looks rather good too.

AudioAnalogueCrescendoAmpliFrontSilver.jpg

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Think I tried that Onkyo in the office once, don't remember being impressed, could have been another model... I like their AV stuff though :)

matthewpiano

Pedigree???? What, Pedigree Chum????

Sorry but I don't think that matters one iota. It doesn't matter what badge it has on it if it sounds right.

I'd have to say, Max, audition it and judge it purely based on the sound. There is no reason why Onkyo shouldn't be capable of designing and making a very capable 2-channel amp.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Pedigree???? What, Pedigree Chum????Sorry but I don't think that matters one iota. It doesn't matter what badge it has on it if it sounds right. I'd have to say, Max, audition it and judge it purely based on the sound. There is no reason why Onkyo shouldn't be capable of designing and making a very capable 2-channel amp.

Except for the fact they haven't made one of note so far.

A

Anonymous

done a bit of googling , it seems whfi reviewed it a few months back , got 3 stars and was described as cold and clinical sounding , dont know if thats true , found it on some american forum after googling the make and model , not good if its correct though ..

T

the record spot

JoelSim:
matthewpiano:Pedigree???? What, Pedigree Chum????Sorry but I don't think that matters one iota. It doesn't matter what badge it has on it if it sounds right. I'd have to say, Max, audition it and judge it purely based on the sound. There is no reason why Onkyo shouldn't be capable of designing and making a very capable 2-channel amp.

Except for the fact they haven't made one of note so far.

Except for the DX9555 which retailed for around £500, wasn't the pick of the bunch, but was no slouch either. Internal dual mono construction, digital amp. Biggest gripe was it had no balance control, otherwise a very sleek looking and performing amp.

Try out the amp Max, much as per Matt's recommendation really. If it doesn't appeal, then - for the price range in that list of 27 amps around the 399-euros, see the new NAD and maybe also the Pioneer A6-J and Yamaha AX-397 which could be good too.

matthewpiano

JoelSim:
Where is this figure of 399 Euros coming from, it's 599?

You wouldn't buy a sportscar from Leyland Daf Vans would you?

If that sports car handled well, had good build quality, looked great and delivered the power in all the right ways the Leyland Daf badge wouldn't bother me whatsoever.

A

Anonymous

Hi Max,

If it's a wam sound you are after have you thought about using a valve pre amp combined with a satndard power amp........

just a thought

D

A

Anonymous

cheers guys , lots of you have reccomended the arcam route , so i think ill chance it , so far pp , mp , daveh , joel , dan , and probably more that i cant recall have agreed on the same suggestion , btw , is that some kind of agreement record
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

brittondave:
Hi Max,

If it's a wam sound you are after have you thought about using a valve pre amp combined with a satndard power amp........

just a thought

D

dont even know what that is dave
emotion-3.gif
.. do you have any actual models and ill google , just to see whats what..?

A

Anonymous

arcam it is pp
emotion-21.gif
, just a case of which one now ...a32 or a85 ..

A

Anonymous

something like this http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1408

connected to any power amp of your choosing.

Just an idea! anyway ......not trying to push valve based equipment.......it's a love or hate thing...... There are some very good valve intergrated amps about as well and I would deffo recommend a demonstration at some point. some of them are hybrid amps which means they are like a traditional intergrated amp but have inbuilt valves for the pre amp section of the unit.

My suggestion above would give you the warm, silky smoothsound of valves combined with the punch of a good power amp.

D

A

Anonymous

sorry Mr PP I wasn't trying to confuse. I was just offering my tuppence for what it's worth.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts