this any good ??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

nice one daveh
emotion-21.gif
, they would fit the bill nicely , as i say im a few weeks away from having the cash , otherwise id go for them now , they do seem to crop up fairly often thankfully ..

what about keeping my marantz cdp or do you think an arcam one like that would be better ?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
maxflinn:arcam it is pp
emotion-21.gif
, just a case of which one now ...a32 or a85 ..

If you're not worried about colour, this A85 has a 'Buy It Now' price of £375.00 + Carriage.

%21ByMOo-wBWk%7E$%28KGrHqN,%21iMEw5ddm6kwBMQwO55ui%21%7E%7E_35.JPG

cheers , is that the going rate pp ? thought id get one cheaper ..

daveh75

maxflinn:plastic penguin:
emotion-21.gif

If you're not worried about colour, this A85 has a 'Buy It Now' price of £375.00 + Carriage.

%21ByMOo-wBWk%7E$%28KGrHqN,%21iMEw5ddm6kwBMQwO55ui%21%7E%7E_35.JPG

To expensive imo, i wouldn't pay much more than £250 for an A85

A

Anonymous

brittondave:
something like this http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1408

connected to any power amp of your choosing.

Just an idea! anyway ......not trying to push valve based equipment.......it's a love or hate thing...... There are some very good valve intergrated amps about as well and I would deffo recommend a demonstration at some point. some of them are hybrid amps which means they are like a traditional intergrated amp but have inbuilt valves for the pre amp section of the unit.

My suggestion above would give you the warm, silky smoothsound of valves combined with the punch of a good power amp.

D

emotion-21.gif
interesting dave , at this stage im defo going for arcam , but ill have a read up on those kinds of amps , warm is good
emotion-21.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:maxflinn:plastic penguin:
emotion-21.gif

£250 max I would say too.

A

Anonymous

yea thats the kinda price i had in mind guys , i may just get the amp first , see what it sounds like and maybe add a power amp after , so guys , marantz cdp or arcam ?

daveh75:maxflinn:plastic penguin:

emotion-21.gif

You'd be very luck to buy an A85 for less than £300. If you do, then I would be slightly suspect.

When you consider it retailed close to £900 then it looks pretty good.

daveh75

maxflinn:what about keeping my marantz cdp or do you think an arcam one like that would be better ?
Keep your Marantz, wasn't suggesting buying the CDP tbh. I just linked to that seller because he happened to have both an A85 and P85 for sale.

And if your going to go the Arcam route, then it would be rude not to bi-amp
emotion-2.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:daveh75:maxflinn:plastic penguin:
emotion-21.gif

You'd be very luck to buy an A85 for less than £300. If you do, then I would be slightly suspect.

When you consider it retailed close to £900 then it looks pretty good.

No chance PP. Before I sold mine I watched about 10 go on fleabay at between £220 and £275. That was a year ago.

A

Anonymous

oh ill be bi-amping alright daveh
emotion-4.gif
, god this hifi bug is gripping me , listening to paul weller , broken stones , the neighbours are away , just sounds lovely
emotion-2.gif

aye pp ill surely get a cd192 at some stage too
emotion-10.gif
.. what harm , ive spent my money on far worse things , things that arent there when you wake up
emotion-11.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:
emotion-4.gif
, god this hifi bug is gripping me , listening to paul weller , broken stones , the neighbours are away , just sounds lovely
emotion-2.gif

emotion-10.gif
.. what harm , ive spent my money on far worse things , things that arent there when you wake up
emotion-11.gif

Don't bother looking for a CD192 just now, fleabay is full of jokers at the moment on those. Don't go for an 82 or 92 either, too mellow, the 192 is a much better machine.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:maxflinn:ive spent my money on far worse things , things that arent there when you wake up

Bad luck - I've been burgled and it's not nice...thats not quite what i meant
emotion-11.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
A CD 192 for £699. They're having laugh...

A while back I saw a pair of Wharfedale Dentons from the early 70's with a 'Buy It Now' price tag of something like £700. This is why I don't buy from auction sites - too many mickey takers.

You just have to do your homework.

A

Anonymous

the cdp might not be got till next year , amp first , then power amp as and when money allows id say ..

that should keep me happy too , knowing something new is on the horizon
emotion-19.gif

SteveR750

maxflinn:
emotion-4.gif
emotion-2.gif

emotion-10.gif
emotion-11.gif

but then sleeping with your speakers isn't right, let alone fun, no matter what your view of the world.

Max, I'm going to propose a different course, one that involves forgetting about spending money and upgrades. If you do have to do it, wait until you can make a huge leap, not a small one with someone elses cast offs from yesteryear. Now, if you hadn't a perfectly good system and need to get something, then I'd join the chorus of suggestion makers, but I just wonder if you are changing just for changes sake; though I do understand it's your money and your choice as to what to do with it, but I'm not sure you are going to be satisfied in the long term, and you will certainly be poorer. Either that or think much bigger and just go for broke, and spend a couple of K's or so now.

A

Anonymous

hi steve , i suppose i am changing for changes sake really , but thats why im thinking 2nd hand , it wont cost me alot , its experimental really , driven by the assumption that a more powerful amp will give me more from my speakers , even though i admit they sound great as is , im just itching to throw more power at them

a big spend is out steve , im currently unemployed , so i cant justify a big outlay really , as much as i might like to ..

if the arcams dont do it for me , ill revisit ebay
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:Can I hazard a guess that you will never buy any of this sort of kit but just like the crack of talking about it.And as for your last 48 hours -Eddie Murphy was never as entertaining.

oh i love the crack davy , but ill be buying alright , ive spent e2.5 on a.v. gear since april , so ive got form
emotion-1.gif

eddie who ? what ...
emotion-58.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

Ravey Gravey Davy:Can I hazard a guess that you will never buy any of this sort of kit but just like the crack of talking about it.And as for your last 48 hours -Eddie Murphy was never as entertaining.

oh i love the crack davy , but ill be buying alright , ive spent e2.5 on a.v. gear since april , so ive got form
emotion-1.gif

eddie who ? what ...
emotion-58.gif

That you've got form was never doubted in my mind.There's no point spending E2.5 on AV gear if you don't watch EM in 48 hrs.

maxflinn:

hi steve , i suppose i am changing for changes sake really , but thats why im thinking 2nd hand , it wont cost me alot , its experimental really , driven by the assumption that a more powerful amp will give me more from my speakers , even though i admit they sound great as is , im just itching to throw more power at them

a big spend is out steve , im currently unemployed , so i cant justify a big outlay really , as much as i might like to ..

if the arcams dont do it for me , ill revisit ebay
emotion-21.gif

Max, didn't know until seeing your post you were unemployed. I would seriously think the whole upgrade concept, and put it on hold until things stabilise a little work-wise. If you hated your present system then there's ample justification. But you love the Marantz set-up -- there will always be A85s or others on ebay weeks or months down thye line.

A

Anonymous

Firstly, I want to thank the original poster of this question "Is this (Onkyo A 1VL) any good for not bidding for it as I am now the very happy owner. Then I should start by saying I have listened to music since the
early sixties, starting with a crystal radio receiver with a
single earphone (that looked like an NSH hearing aid!) so we could hear
the new Beatles records, countless home audio set ups through to high
end and professional monitoring systems in my various careers and years
in advertising, TV (including a stint at the BBC) and now film post
production. And yet, I all I can say about the Onkyo A 1VL, is that it
is probably the most tonally accurate, neutrally transparent and naturally dynamic
amplifier I have ever heard. It is beautifully designed and made to
last. Even at it's original price of £1500 it is a rare find and typical
of the brands exceptional value for money approach - I simply cannot
believe my luck in finding a virtually new one for only £395!

As for our "pedigree" chum, he shouldn't be so keen to show his ignorance of not being aware that since the 70s, Onkyo has made some of the finest, best value integrated and brilliant power amps ever, particularly at the top of their range, which were hardly known in the UK but in Germany, the US and other countries they were known as Krell killers. I also have the A 9577 digital amp which is virtually as good and even more powerful at 150 wpc and makes beautiful music with the matching CD player. Once again, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts