The perfect all rounder. The impossible dream?

confused23

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I'm am trying to find the perfect all rounder stereo. I would like something that has great sound to play from my iTunes library but I am afraid of giving up the option of CD and if possible something that i can plug a DVD and sky box into. It also has to be compact. Does something like that even exist?

In my search so far I've come up with 3 options but 2 don't actually have CD players.... (i've chosen these because they seem to fit the bill plus I like the design) they are:

1) Denon CEOL RCDN8 plus Focal Dome speakers (has an integrated CD player)

2) Denon Piccolo plus Focal Dome speakers

3) Focal Bird

Does anyone have any other suggestions or knowledge of the 3 above?

many thanks...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The obvious alternative to your first proposal is the marantz mcr603. Pair with speakers of your choice that match your budget and tastes, after demoing some pairs with that unit.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I suppose it depends upon your budget.

More expensive options might be Naim Uniti and Arcam Neo Solo.

If you want to leave out the CD player and just use the DVD player for all disc playback, then your options expand.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
confused23 said:
ideally I would spend about £500 but could go up to about £750. yes i would consider used.

THESE would be good, put in an offer at your budget limit or lower, they've been there a while and are overpriced. I bought some new recently at not much more than those.

These speakers come up every now and again for much less on the used market.Try HERE.

Epoz Actimate Maxis would fit the bill too, but wouldn't be as flexible for inputs.

Both suggestions are all in one systems including DAC and amps. Both have very good reviews.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
THESE would be good, put in an offer at your budget limit or lower, they've been there a while and are overpriced. I bought some new recently at not much more than those.

I agree the AVI ADM9's would be a better option than the Marantz if you can find any within your budget secondhand.

T

the record spot

Onkyo's TX8050 network stereo amp. Amazing bit of kit for the money.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
confused23 said:
but aren't the AVI ADM9's and the other suggestions just speakers? i need to find the complete system for under £750

They are the complete system, as are the Epoz.

Just plug in the source of your choice. (hint, as per my sig.)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
confused23 said:
but aren't the AVI ADM9's and the other suggestions just speakers? i need to find the complete system for under £750

The ADM9's are a complete system all contined within the speakers. All you need is to add is a source such as a CD/DVD player.

You may struggle to find any for between £500-750 though.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
A great alternative if you want to go for speakers with everything built in are these: http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/digital_music_solutions/x300a/overview/

You can get them new, with full warranty, here: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/KEF-X300A-Active-Speakers-Pair/product_6859 New price is £599.

You may still be better off going for a separate amp, speaker and DAC, though, as the all in one options don't give you any room to upgrade later, in that you'll have to sell the lot and buy again.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
A great alternative if you want to go for speakers with everything built in are these: http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/digital_music_solutions/x300a/overview/

You can get them new, with full warranty, here: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/KEF-X300A-Active-Speakers-Pair/product_6859 New price is £599.

They look great, but the OP wouldn't be able to make use of the onboard DAC, as they don't have an optical input. He would also have a problem connecting up anything else at the same time, ie the Sky box.

Dear little things for Pc audio though.

Perhaps you are not far off looking at the Marantz MCR603 or the like.

Unfortunately all the active speakers mentioned are not 'complete' units as obviously require a source which you are unlikely to get for your budget, and the TX8050, while good, can hardly be considered 'compact'.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:

Unfortunately all the active speakers mentioned are not 'complete' units as obviously require a source which you are unlikely to get for your budget, and the TX8050, while good, can hardly be considered 'compact'.

The Marantz looks good, but the OP has a source, the DVD player and Sky box.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
They look great, but the OP wouldn't be able to make use of the onboard DAC, as they don't have an optical input. He would also have a problem connecting up anything else at the same time, ie the Sky box.

Dear little things for Pc audio though.
Do they need an optical input?? I thought most computers had USB, but could be wrong. He could then use his PC as a cd player, plus have an input for the skybox. He'd need one of those 2 way switches that cost a tenner from Maplins if he wanted if he wanted to use the DVD and Skybox seamlessly, true.

Very neat, compact solution, you have to admit, has airplay (great feature) and, judging from the early reviews, sounds pretty amazing - "KEF has created nothing short of a major miracle for $799." -http://www.tonepublications.com/spotlight/world-premier-review-kef-x300a-powered-speakers/

Overdose said:
Alears said:

The Marantz looks good, but the OP has a source, the DVD player and Sky box.

Agree they could be considered as sources but you seem to have missed the bit where he says 'to play from my iTunes library'. Neither of these will allow this, as far as I am aware, so he would need to spend out more for yet another box.

T

the record spot

I have my iTunes library on hard drive and it does. If the laptop is DLNA compatible, then it could go via the TX8050's DLNA functionality, via an Apple TV into the optical connector at the back, or via the fascia mounted USB and through the Onkyo's own DAC. I've used my iPod touch in this way too.

confused23

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
thanks for all the input everyone. it seems my options are even more than i thought which unfortunately means i'm still confused! also, just so you know what you're dealing with i'm not a 'he' i'm a 'she' which may or may not alter your idea of what is right for me?

in my dream world i find something with

1) great sound (more for music than anything else)

2) compact (no big speakers!)

3) under £750

4) able to work with my iTunes, my sky box and my dvd player

5) as i have sky and apple tv i have access to lots of radio stations so maybe don't need DAB etc

thanks so much. i've been talking to myself about this for months. nice to have people who have knowledge to talk to.

T

the record spot

Same answer from me really. The Onkyo will handle all those as you can configure the digital inputs. You'd still need speakers but they can be pretty compact and needn't be huge.

Here's link for the receiver from Onkyo's website. Not exactly compact but not hideously big either and an attractive fascia, well sort of! Depends how small you need it to be really.

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-8050-43158.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts