The Devialet thread

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Jota180 said:
Thanks Matt. I use Minimserver on my NAS and transcode the FLAC files in real time on the NAS to WAV, this is then streamed to the UQ2. I take it this wouldn't pose any issues to a Devialet?

That will work absolutely fine. Of course, if you wanted to, you could connect the NAS direct to the Devialet via USB. I'm not going to argue that this would sound any better (who knows?), but it would shorten the digital signal path, and as a Devialet rep once said to me, 'You can go from London to Edinburgh via Exeter if you want to, but why bother?'

Am I right in thinking you control Minimserver using the Naim nStream app on a tablet/phone? If so, that would be a strong argument for routing the NAS via the UQ2: one control point to rule them all ...

Matt

Yeah, iPad and N-Stream.

I see Devialet give their power rating into 6ohm and can't find out what it is into 8 or 4. Any idea?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Jota180 said:
I see Devialet give their power rating into 6ohm and can't find out what it is into 8 or 4. Any idea?

I've seen these figures quoted (not sure where) which would seem about right:

Dev 120: 90W into 8 Ohms, 180W into 4 Ohms

Dev 200: 150W into 8 Ohms, 300W into 4 Ohms

They are famously good at driving tricky loads because of their extremely low output impedance.

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Jota180 said:

Yes, that's annoying, innit? Can't tell for the higher models, but the 120 was measured in a recent HiFi Choice review (June 2014 -- house rules won't let me give you the link, but just Google 'Hifichoice - Devialet'), and they state 75 W/8 Ohm and 150 W/4 Ohm.

They give a better explanation of SAM than on the Devialet website too, btw.

As for listening to internet radio thru a Devialet: the Qute looks like overkill IMO; I would get a Sonos:Connect for the purpose.

And yes, the 120 + LS50 is a special combo indeed! Audition at your own risk! *wink*

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
DocG said:
Jota180 said:

Yes, that's annoying, innit? Can't tell for the higher models, but the 120 was measured in a recent HiFi Choice review (June 2014 -- house rules won't let me give you the link, but just Google 'Hifichoice - Devialet'), and they state 75 W/8 Ohm and 150 W/4 Ohm.

They give a better explanation of SAM than on the Devialet website too, btw.

As for listening to internet radio thru a Devialet: the Qute looks like overkill IMO; I would get a Sonos:Connect for the purpose.

And yes, the 120 + LS50 is a special combo indeed! Audition at your own risk! *wink*

Thanks for the heads up on power output.

On the UQ2 (and NAP100 LS50), I already own these so that money has already flown the coup. I may sell the NAP but will keep the rest.

The search for HIFI***** and Devialet doesn't turn up that article for me. My google must be broken!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

Hey, Doc, it's been a while. How are things? Is the new house moving forward? (Maybe I shouldn't ask ...)

*crazy*

Matt

Won't be for this year... But maybe next year, who knows?*dash1*

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
And finally the Rega RP10 Arrived!!! Its paired with a Devialet 200, and it is a winnig team.

Pic: (no comments *pleasantry*)

Rp10a_zps958a3fb5.jpg

It is actually being fed directly to the Phono Preamp of the Dev. I also got a Rega Aria preamp for testing, but when connected I only get one channel, dont know if I have messed some conection here. or I have just been suplied a defective unit (please help me here if you can matt). Anyway the RP10 is the BEST source I have listened to, it is making me listen to parts of the songs I never suspected it where there, And with the Dev 200 is a winnig team, even in my room and with my speakers *drinks*

Krorghar said:
And finally the Rega RP10 Arrived!!! Its paired with a Devialet 200, and it is a winnig team.

It is actually being fed directly to the Phono Preamp of the Dev. I also got a Rega Aria preamp for testing, but when connected I only get one channel, dont know if I have messed some conection here. or I have just been suplied a defective unit (please help me here if you can matt). Anyway the RP10 is the BEST source I have listened to, it is making me listen to parts of the songs I never suspected it where there, And with the Dev 200 is a winnig team, even in my room and with my speakers *drinks*
I cannot imagine adding anyone's pre-pre amp would be better than going direct into the Dev. Great system!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Krorghar said:

Looks superb! - and I'm sure sounds superb too...

I'm looking to get a Devialet 200 soon. - What speakers are you using?

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually using a pair of Boston Acoustics M350. These are not "high end" speakers, in fact they are not in consonance with the cost of the rest of the equipment, but to my ears, in my problematic room (full of glass cabinets and reflective surfaces), and for the kind of music I use to play (pop/rock of the 80's) . They were the ones that sounded better. And have listened to several other (supossedly) superior brand of speakers, like Focal, Sonus Faber and B&W.

Anyway I'm not fully pleased with them, and have to listen to other model's, Matt have sugested some KEF, and I will check them soon (I hope)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Krorghar said:
I'm actually using a pair of Boston Acoustics M350. These are not "high end" speakers, in fact they are not in consonance with the cost of the rest of the equipment, but to my ears, in my problematic room (full of glass cabinets and reflective surfaces), and for the kind of music I use to play (pop/rock of the 80's) . They were the ones that sounded better. And have listened to several other (supossedly) superior brand of speakers, like Focal, Sonus Faber and B&W.

Anyway I'm not fully pleased with them, and have to listen to other model's, Matt have sugested some KEF, and I will check them soon (I hope)

Interesting.... I heard the Dev 200 with my Focal 1008Be's recently and was very pleased. I'm told they're going to get the SAM treatment too and this will be available in September. I also heard a pair of Focal Utopia's and the combination was amazing. Then the dealer turned on SAM for them..... incredible difference - they seemed to totally disappear. - Now I've really been spoilt!*shok*

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
U mean the focal Utopias sounded worse with the SAM on?

Anyway when SAM is installed for your speakers, it also installs a new control from 0 to 100% to adjust the SAM effect. So you can pass on SAM if you want to.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Krorghar said:
U mean the focal Utopias sounded worse with the SAM on?

Anyway when SAM is installed for your speakers, it also installs a new control from 0 to 100% to adjust the SAM effect. So you can pass on SAM if you want to.

Not at all. With SAM on, the effect from the Utopias was remarkable. The sound wasn't coming out of boxes, it just hung in mid air. - I can't wait to see what it does with my 1008Be's. I'm spoilt because Mrs Loop would not look favourably on some new Utopias.....

(maybe next year...)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
With SAM on, the effect from the Utopias was remarkable. The sound wasn't coming out of boxes, it just hung in mid air. - I can't wait to see what it does with my 1008Be's.

As I understand it, the SAM-effect is most noticeable with smaller speakers (like my 120 - LS50 combo), so my guess is that the change with the 1008Bes will be massive compared to what SAM does to the Utopias...

Just as an example: the HiFiChoice review I referred to earlier on (120 + GT1). The Atohm GT1 speakers have a -6dB low frequency point of 60 Hz on their own; with SAM doing its magic, that went below 20 Hz!
omg_smile.gif
Be prepared!

And once you recovered, write your impressions down for us...*mail1*

Krorghar said:

Yes, though in a pc Devialet's Thierry Massoubre told me that to him the dial didn't really make sense; he said they might drop the feature. IMO, using the 0 - 100% dial for adjusting the bass extension (while preserving the rest of the processing) would be nice, though. Like when space is at a premium...

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
France is back from its August holidays, and the news from Devialet is that the Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms are now SAM-ready. I'm itching to try SAM on my Cremonas, which are currently in storage.

We may be moving house in October (yes, I know the house move saga has been going on for a year or so ...) Once the move happens, many things will be up for grabs, but one thing seems pretty clear: there'll two "main" systems in the house, one will use the Martin Logans and the other may use the Cremonas.

But where will the Devialet live? I think there'll be a period of experimentation, and maybe some surprises.

*bomb*

Matt

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
France is back from its August holidays, and the news from Devialet is that the Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms are now SAM-ready. I'm itching to try SAM on my Cremonas, which are currently in storage.

We may be moving house in October (yes, I know the house move saga has been going on for a year or so ...) Once the move happens, many things will be up for grabs, but one thing seems pretty clear: there'll two "main" systems in the house, one will use the Martin Logans and the other may use the Cremonas.

But where will the Devialet live? I think there'll be a period of experimentation, and maybe some surprises.

*bomb*

Matt

You know there's only one real solution to this luxury problem... The question is: would a 120 be enough, or do you need another 200?*diablo*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
sa2013 said:
Hi Matt,

A little confused, does the AIR module come by default or do you have to pay for it separately?

Thanks.
Owners may know better, but I believe it is an extra though for a period the module was 'free' to incentivise buyers.

I got AIR for free (I ordered before end of September 2013); it then became a 1000 EUR option. But if I'm well informed, it now is included in the package anyway (at no additional charge).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
nopiano said:
sa2013 said:
Hi Matt,

A little confused, does the AIR module come by default or do you have to pay for it separately?

Thanks.
Owners may know better, but I believe it is an extra though for a period the module was 'free' to incentivise buyers.

I got AIR for free (I ordered before end of September 2013); it then became a 1000 EUR option. But if I'm well informed, it now is included in the package anyway (at no additional charge).

I think this is correct.

DocG said:
matt49 said:

*bomb*

Matt

You know there's only one real solution to this luxury problem... The question is: would a 120 be enough, or do you need another 200?*diablo*

Funnily enough, I'm tempted to go down another route altogether. I'm thinking that the Dev could be paired with the Cremonas downstairs in the living room. The Montis would live in my study (Mrs49 doesn't like the look of them; no idea why!) and be paired with a new amp. I have my eye on the amp John Westlake's currently designing. It's a current-dumping model incorporating a valve stage: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2379165&postcount=223. Aside from the current-dumping design, what attracts me to it is that JW will be testing it using Martin Logan ESLs. It should be ideally suited to drive them.

Another part of me is thinking about selling the Cremonas and buying some actives for the living room -- hence my question on the active speakers club thread a month or so ago.

In any case, I'm looking forward to getting the Cremonas out of storage and trying them with SAM -- in a bigger room.

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
In any case, I'm looking forward to getting the Cremonas out of storage and trying them with SAM -- in a bigger room.

My prediction of Devialet + SF could yet come to pass.*biggrin*

It could.

I'm hoping that SAM combined with a larger room will sort out the bass boom problem I had with the Cremonas. It was that pesky peak around 50Hz. If it does, I'll live with the Cremonas for a bit -- assuming Mrs49 thinks they look OK in the new living room.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
I have my eye on the amp John Westlake's currently designing. It's a current-dumping model incorporating a valve stage: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2379165&postcount=223. Aside from the current-dumping design, what attracts me to it is that JW will be testing it using Martin Logan ESLs. It should be ideally suited to drive them.

I can't quite grasp the details of his explanation (lacking technical background), but it looks a lot -- to my eyes -- like the Devialet ADH technology. And the price seems relatively reasonable too. But I suppose you must 'jump' without audition?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts