The Devialet thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
And this week is definitely Devialet week.

Erm, apparently not. You optimistic fool, you!

It's going to be next week, so I'm now told. (Not that I'd have been able to enjoy it this weekend, as Mrs49 has whisked me away for a romantic break to celebrate our nth wedding anniversary.)

Doc, have you heard any news? Word is the factory has been having trouble coping with the demand.

:cry:

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
matt49 said:
And this week is definitely Devialet week.

Erm, apparently not. You optimistic fool, you!

It's going to be next week, so I'm now told. (Not that I'd have been able to enjoy it this weekend, as Mrs49 has whisked me away for a romantic break to celebrate our nth wedding anniversary.)

Doc, have you heard any news? Word is the factory has been having trouble coping with the demand.

:cry:

Matt

Be afraid, be very afraid......... ;)

She is softening you up as she now definitely needs the extra bedroom/studio/dressing room etc, etc.

You have been warned...... :hand:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:

She is softening you up as she now definitely needs the extra bedroom/studio/dressing room etc, etc.

Dave, with all due respect you're being a tinsy bit unreconstructed in your assumptions. In the 49 household the trad roles are reversed. Mrs49 earns the money, and I'm the one who employs moral blackmail to get the toys I want. Just wait and see ...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Dave, with all due respect you're being a tinsy bit unreconstructed in your assumptions. In the 49 household the trad roles are reversed. Mrs49 earns the money, and I'm the one who employs moral blackmail to get the toys I want. Just wait and see ...

Not meant remotely seriously matt, apologies if it was a comment too far.

Actually I am in exactly the same situation and have been in recent times. Mrs DDC brings home the bacon and I look after our interests overseas, pretty much a kept man.

Unfortunately not owning our own home when we returned to London a few years ago means that our living expenses are, frankly, outrageous, so my interest in your current hi-fi journey is tinged with a little jealously, particularly given your choice of hardware.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:

My dealer has kept very quiet of late. I sent him an email just this afternoon, but he hasn't replied yet...

So I wait... :pray:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Not meant remotely seriously matt, apologies if it was a comment too far.

Actually I am in exactly the same situation and have been in recent times. Mrs DDC brings home the bacon and I look after our interests overseas, pretty much a kept man.

Unfortunately not owning our own home when we returned to London a few years ago means that our living expenses are, frankly, outrageous, so my interest in your current hi-fi journey is tinged with a little jealously, particularly given your choice of hardware.

Dave, my post came out a bit drier than intended: I first wrote a jokey reply but it wasn't actually funny, so I rowed back. Anyway, no apology needed at all.

Interesting that you're also a kept man. Our boats are strangely similar.

My focus is currently off hifi. I have to make an offer on "the house" on Monday. God knows why Mrs49 thinks that I, a ditzy academic, can do this better than she can.

The good thing is that this house has a lovely 5.5 x 5.5m living room which could accommodate some yummy speakerage.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well Matt, if somethings worth waiting for! It'll be all the sweeter when it does finally arrive.

Just hope it doesn't drag on too long.

Happy anniversary btw.

smiley-smile.gif

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Well Matt, if somethings worth waiting for! It'll be all the sweeter when it does finally arrive.

Happy anniversary btw.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

Cheers, Mac.

I'm really glad I took the plunge with the Cremonas by the way. What lovely speakers!

I'll report back when the Dev arrives.

:cheers:

Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
My dealer has kept very quiet of late. I sent him an email just this afternoon, but he hasn't replied yet...

So I wait... :pray:

There are a couple of guys over on the Wam who ordered around the same time as me; they've also been told to expect their Devs next week.

Matt

PS hope your dealer's better at answering emails than mine!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:

Happy anniversary btw.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

Oh, forgot to mention your new blog. Great work!

I bought the Emily Barker for Mrs49: I didn't think it would be my kind of music, but I've been playing it quite a bit.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Macspur said:

Happy anniversary btw.

smiley-smile.gif

Mac

Oh, forgot to mention your new blog. Great work!

I bought the Emily Barker for Mrs49: I didn't think it would be my kind of music, but I've been playing it quite a bit.

I'm so glad it was of some help, that's exactly it's aim.

Highly recommend Almanac

by Ms Barker too.

Mac

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It's bad news, gents. Absolute Sounds received their batch of Devs from the factory this week, but apparently only half the quantity they asked for. My dealer says he's only getting one Dev 170, and I was second on his list. Apparently the next delivery will be mid-October. There's some talk of problems with the manufacture of the latest run, which have been resolved, but have slowed the factory's output.

:mad:

I'm dealing with my frustration by telling myself that the Dev is sooo good that it'd be worth waiting a year for.

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
It's bad news, gents. Absolute Sounds received their batch of Devs from the factory this week, but apparently only half the quantity they asked for. My dealer says he's only getting one Dev 170, and I was second on his list. Apparently the next delivery will be mid-October. There's some talk of problems with the manufacture of the latest run, which have been resolved, but have slowed the factory's output.

I'm dealing with my frustration by telling myself that the Dev is sooo good that it'd be worth waiting a year for.

Matt

That's effable. :wall:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:

Matt

Oh, blast! I'm probably some 2000 places further on the list... No wonder my dealer doesn't respond my email! :wall:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
matt49 said:

Matt

Oh, blast! I'm probably some 2000 places further on the list... No wonder my dealer doesn't respond my email! :wall:

Get a refund and buy a Marantz, you know it makes sense....... ;)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
DocG said:
matt49 said:

Matt

Get a refund and buy a Marantz, you know it makes sense....... ;)

You are a real friend, Dave! :torch:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
O my word Matt! How frustrating!

How about O'Briens? or would it be the same story there.

Cheers, Mac, I suspect it would, though I might call them tomorrow. They have a hotline to Absolute Sounds -- which is next door to them. But to be fair to my dealer, he did say he would get Absolute Sounds to call me and confirm the situation, if I wanted.

I'm developing the patience of a saint.

:innocent:

CnoEvil said:

I know, I know. Fortunately there's lots of stuff going on here to take my mind off it.

DocG said:

Be strong, Doc. You know it's worth waiting!

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Macspur said:
O my word Matt! How frustrating!

How about O'Briens? or would it be the same story there.

Cheers, Mac, I suspect it would, though I might call them tomorrow. They have a hotline to Absolute Sounds -- which is next door to them. But to be fair to my dealer, he did say he would get Absolute Sounds to call me and confirm the situation, if I wanted.

I'm developing the patience of a saint.

:innocent:

CnoEvil said:

I know, I know. Fortunately there's lots of stuff going on here to take my mind off it.

DocG said:

Matt

I hear the PM6005 is very good. Apparently some dealers will actually supply you one in exchange for money......... :grin:

I'd offer to help but I never had much pull at AS, even when I was a dealer. Mind you it is an interesting comment on the state of the economy that £5k hi-fi components have a waiting list that stretches into months....... :?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

Matt

Odd things happening! I just called my dealer. He then contacted the distributor, who told him the amps had been shipped last week -- but apparently never arrived in his shop. He 's now gonna hunt down the courier!

All very exciting, innit?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Odd things happening! I just called my dealer. He then contacted the distributor, who told him the amps had been shipped last week -- but apparently never arrived in his shop. He 's now gonna hunt down the courier!

So a lorry full of Devialets is hijacked in Belgium (stop me if I'm getting this wrong) and driven down to the Balkans, where the units are re-engineered by the local organized crime syndicate for use as stealth drone pizza boxes.

Keep us posted!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

So a lorry full of Devialets is hijacked in Belgium (stop me if I'm getting this wrong) and driven down to the Balkans, where the units are re-engineered by the local organized crime syndicate for use as stealth drone pizza boxes.

Keep us posted!

They say witnesses saw a UFO above the lorry, stealing the Devs with some kind of laserbeam! I'm very worried! :eek: And glad I didn't pay an advance...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

Keep us posted!

Interesting.

Back in the late 80s and early 90's, one of our favourite amplifiers was the Onix OA21.

One day we were scheduled a delivery of these about lunchtime, no delivery but just before closing a somewhat out of breath Tony Brady (Mr Onix) turned up, claiming he had just had to hitch hike up to London from a service station on the M23.

He explained that his car, chock full of our OA21s, was stolen while he was grabbing a coffee, never to be seen again. We told our waiting customers that we thought the amplifiers had been 'abducted by aliens'.

But as you say, maybe the Balkan mafia......... :?

chrissasfre

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
i think its that 35 hour working week here in france not enougth time for work to make the amp and smoke and enjoy coffee :rofl:but did you hear it with the kef 700 just wondering if it was any good

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts