The Devialet thread

Page 43 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

Glad to see this thread is still alive!

Thanks, infiniteloop, for pointing to the firmware update. I wasn't aware of it -- Devialet used to warn customers thru email about such things, but apparently they stopped doing so (either that or I fell off their mailing list). Will give it a try one of these days!

Now that 'Pro' thing in their Expert range looks good! If the info on their site is correct, I can upgrade my D120 to D220 Pro spec (that's 220W instead of 120 into 6O) for €3490! Same price as D200 to D220! I mailed them to confirm it isn't a typo (in another mail, a D130 Pro was mentioned...), but so far I got a/ an automated reply my question was received, and b/ a mail to thank me for my question and that they would forward it to someone who might be able to answer it. So I'm still waiting -- and reading Gazzip's issues, I might have to wait a lot longer; cross my fingers... Any of you guys knows more?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
To listen to the devialet 800 2(it may have been the 200) weeks ago at harrods.

I chose Lisa gerrard elysium as i know the track well and it sounded very good although the demo room and outside noise does not help.

On the other hand i thought the phantoms were dreadful but was in the shop.

The finish on the expert range is very posh looking

Just got rid of my 800. Sick of dealing with a bunch of cnuts who don't think somebody who spent £18K with them is worth responding to. 

Yes i read about that. What are you going to get now and how did you get rid trade it in or sell?

I also would not be happy with a noisy transformer.

The other day inswitched on my amp and i heard a horrible humming noise but it was my xbox power supply phew!

I traded for an ASR Emitter II. Ticks all of the boxes for me sonically, although a little big...

http://ultimate-audio.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/emitter2exclusive-versionbluepsu.jpg

Looks very smart please do a review for us and please let us know how long the pink bunnys keep banging the drums lol

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:

I chose Lisa gerrard elysium as i know the track well and it sounded very good although the demo room and outside noise does not help.

Just got rid of my 800. Sick of dealing with a bunch of cnuts who don't think somebody who spent £18K with them is worth responding to.

Really sorry you've had that level of trouble Gazzip. My experience has been totally the opposite and the new firmware upgrade really does improve the sound somewhat.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

I heard the Phantoms in Devialet's showroom in Paris and didn't rate them much either. - I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. The Expert range is another matter......

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:
Gazzip said:
I traded for an ASR Emitter II. Ticks all of the boxes for me sonically, although a little big...

http://ultimate-audio.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/emitter2exclusive-versionbluepsu.jpg
Did you get a good deal on a 2nd hand one?

I got a 1 year old Emitter II Exclusive blue (includes battery) and an ex-demo Esoteric D-07X DAC for a straight swap plus £1K, so not too bad...

On its own and compared to old amp?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:
Gazzip said:

I got a 1 year old Emitter II Exclusive blue (includes battery) and an ex-demo Esoteric D-07X DAC for a straight swap plus £1K, so not too bad...

The sound is a little fuller than that of the Devialet but it basically runs in Class A most of the time so distortion levels are also very low. At the risk of slipping in to hifi mag hyperbole it sounds more musical than the Devialet and less deconstructive of the sound. Don't get me wrong I do like Devialet's work but if I had one critisism of the expert range it would be that it was too good at pulling music apart. Maybe the Devialet is "better" on paper but I prefer the ASR and will be sticking on this for a good while. I was very fond of my single ended ARC pre and Bryston powerhouse combo which perhaps explains why the ASR suits me better...

I also won't have to use the heating in my listening room during the winter... PLUS I no longer have to deal with one-liner responses from Devialet about how power supplies are supposed to be noisey and phono stages are supposed to hiss uncontrollably.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
lindsayt said:
Gazzip said:

The sound is a little fuller than that of the Devialet but it basically runs in Class A most of the time so distortion levels are also very low. At the risk of slipping in to hifi mag hyperbole it sounds more musical than the Devialet and less deconstructive of the sound. Don't get me wrong I do like Devialet's work but if I had one critisism of the expert range it would be that it was too good at pulling music apart. Maybe the Devialet is "better" on paper but I prefer the ASR and will be sticking on this for a good while. I was very fond of my single ended ARC pre and Bryston powerhouse combo which perhaps explains why the ASR suits me better...

I also won't have to use the heating in my listening room during the winter... PLUS I no longer have to deal with one-liner responses from Devialet about how power supplies are supposed to be noisey and phono stages are supposed to hiss uncontrollably.

Thanks and enjoy your new toy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts