System Evolution

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is my System Evolution, which shall hopefully never end :)

Taking my first hifi from Richer Sounds to my existing setup. Hope you enjoy the many years of hifi equipment I have enjoyed.

First Ever Student Hifi.

Amplfier: Cambridge Audio A500

Source: Sony CD Player

Speakers: B&W 604 S3

Subwoofers : 5 Audiobahn Subwoofers inc one 3000W RMS one :p ( looking back that was RIDICULOUS lol )

setup1.jpg

setup1A.jpg

Second System, much more civalised and not within the yob culture :p

Amplfier: Cambridge Audio A500

Source: Sony CD Player

Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8s

setup2.jpg

System 3: just another change of speakers here

Speakers: Monitor Audio GR20s

setup3.jpg

System 4: A lot more upgrades - obviously the worst room ever for the music system :) The GR10s are only there as I was doing A/B tests with the GS60s.

Amplifier: Musical Fidelity A5 Pre & A5 Power

Source: Musicla Fidelity KW DAC & Transport

Speakers Monitor Audio GS60s

setup4.jpg

5th System:

Upgraded Amplifier and integrated a budget home cinema system as well.

Amplfier: Musical Fidelity KW500

Home Cinema: Infocus IN78, B&W VM1 Speakers with Monitor Audio FB212 Subwoofer. Yamaha AV Amplifier

setup5.jpg

setup5a-2.jpg

setup5c.jpg

6th System Update. My latest - soon to be moved to a sonic dream room.

AV & Music System upgrades throughout.

Music System:

Musical Fidelity KW Pre & KW 750 Power

Musical Fidelity KW SACD

Chord Indigo Cables & Signature Speaker Cables

Monitor Audio GS60s (soon to be the PL300s, for the Hifi :p )

Isotek Mains Conditioning & Power Cables

AV System:

Denon 4308

PS3

Xbox Elite

Infocus IN80

Monitor Audio GS Surround Package

Isotek Condition Again

setup6a.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02091.jpg

DSC02084.jpg

Need to invest in a HD Camera :)

A NEW UPGRADE WOO!! PIONEER LX-5090 - WOOO!!

*** Thx to the What Hifi Team for a fabulous recommendation ***

PioneerLX-5090.jpg

Next : A Very High End Blu Ray Player........

vinny914

A

Anonymous

Fantastic setup there, Isnt hifi upgrade just great and addictive!

A

Anonymous

Yes way too addictive - the amount of times is shocking, my friends and wife have heard me say "This is it!!!!!" and it actually never being :)

A

Anonymous

Nice set up and interesting thread Vinny7, I'm curious as to how big the room is though?

A

Anonymous

Very Small - 4m by 5m. Shall be moving within 6-9 months, which has delayed me getting the PL300s. The GS 60s work well in the room, but the PL300s will need a lot more room to work well in.

A

Anonymous

Gordon Bennett. That is quite small for such a system, though I bet it sounds stunning. Well done in cramming all the equipment and projector in there!

A

Anonymous

Idd it is, the move moves ever closer. Upgraded speakers will really unleash the system. However the 60s are something special themselves, the weight of the amps sound damps down the brightness of the speaker and brings everything to a new even-ish tone with a slight shine in the treble. Although I have heard the PL300s with a MF system just below mine, with mid range chord cabling and no mains conditioning. Different league is all that can be said, simply due to the ribbon tweeter!!! Exciting times ahead no doubt.

Just a note to make - I heard the PL100s with a Wilson Benesch Torus Subwoofer - the PL300s where miles better, never been shocked by a demo as much as that one.

What makes it worse is that that room is 3 floors up. Had to carry it all up & back down when I changed equipment. That was the most exciting time :)

newaudio

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
hey vinny from ireland.... was there a much difference in the upgrade from the RS8s to the gold set? fantastic looking system by the way!

A

Anonymous

Thx newaudio. I hope you meant the Rs8s vs the GS60s (otherwise STOP reading now lol)

The RS8's were a wonderful speaker, that in my
opinion can be used with an amplifier 3 times the cost and still not
sound out of place. The GS are certainly an upgrade in my opinion,
across the musical board. The bass is in a different league and yet the
treble shines more than the RS8s, vocals have a sense of cleaness about
them compared to the RS8. Dynamics are much better defined and micro dynamics in another league. As well as detail being more easily revealed with the GS Series too.

A big factor for me was that even when played loud the GS60s are more composed than the RS8s, simply due to the size of the relative speakers. Put something like Kayne West or Lil Wayne on and the 60s produce wonderfully extended, tuneful and air moving bass, you almost feel from 3 metres away. Without ever even flinching. Or put something like Alicia Keys - Butterflyz, or even Damien Rice - Cannonball and the vocals shine through over the RS8s.

It certainly is an upgrade but I think that would benifit a music system more than an AV setup. Lets not forget for an overal increase of 10 to 15% performance over the RS8s - they demand more than double the money. The RS8s are amazing value for money, lets not forget they are 800GBP and the GS are 2400GBP!!! But thats the beauty of Hifi. the ability to understand these percentages and experience a new level of listening pleasure.

An Audiction is a MUST with the GS60s as in my opinion without a weighty amplifier they will sound too bright for some. Musical Fidelity works well with the GS due to its large power and its dynamic amplifiers. Cyrus wouldnt work well, even the Mono X i audictioned didnt work. Lets not forget this is just my opinion, so apologises if I offend anyone.

Done right, with proper cables amplifiers & source - they can sound truly amazing!! I am a massive fan of equipment that "oozes sexyness" and the GS are simply stunning.

Hope this helps, im here all week
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

I respect your opinion Vinny, well put, you share my vision for audio nirvana (albeit, you are alot closer than I to achieving that), but at least I dont have to shift 3 floors to move my equipment *nudge nudge* : )

A

Anonymous

Thx Scott - the pursuit is the beauty of the love for hifi :). Not looking forward to moving out!

A

Anonymous

The Infocus IN80 has been SOLD! After my holiday I shall upload pictures of my alternative front end Output solution. Woop! :)

A

Anonymous

Great set up. I own an integrated A5 (as well as the associated A5 CDP) to drive my B&W 802d speakers. I consider upgrading to KW Pre and KW750. The rationale being making sure to get the most out of my speakers. That being said I'm not sure if that makes any sense as I seem to have enough power today to power my 802's. Any thought on the potential benefits of such an upgrade?

thanks in advance,

Laurent

A

Anonymous

Hi Laurent - Excellent Speakers you have - definately the wrong amplifier for them I would say though. May I ask what type of music you listen too? I used to own the A5 and the A5 Pre and Power - and was never truly happy with them. There was always something missing for me, a slight lack of warmth maybe looking back. I initially changed to the KW500 - and aside from the power difference, its the quality of components used inside the amplifier that make up the sound. And with the KW500 - my heart melted - all aspects of the sound increased dramatically! Exactly what I was expecting from Musical Fidelity, I had found. I would almost certainly get a home audition of the KW range (which is now discontinued - so you should be able to get a very good deal). Your speakers will thank you no end for the upgrade.With regards to the KW Pre and 750 Power - thats another step up from the KW 500, but not as drastic as the step up from the A5 to the KW 500. Again with your speakers the Pre and 750 Power would continue to give you more from the sound.

You'll also need to upgrade your CD player too - the KW Dac & Transport is the best option however if you have lack of space the KW SACD which I now have settled with - is about 98% as good and takes up 1 shelf not 2. Hope this helps - if you have any other questions please ask.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback Vinny. I listen to classical and jazz music most of the time but I have a broad rock CD collection as well...

Interestingly enough I find my hifi set very nice when it comes to listening to classical/jazz but much less when playing some rock songs. The very detailed soundstage sort of breaks down the songs in smaller parts and makes the whole listening experience way too analytical.

I agree that a home audition of the KW set would be great but unfortunately it won't happen as the series has been discontinued and the local vendors I contacted do not seem to have the set available anymore. I am playing with the idea of this upgrade because I have the opportunity to buy such a KW pre/pro at a good price. It's a tough call as I clearly do not need that extra power so upgrade would only contribute to improving the overall sound quality (if at all?). Two additional questions:

is the sonic behavior of the KW750 ok at low levels or does it need to be cranked up?

Have you noticed any impact on the bass management while upgrading from A5 to 750?

the reason I'm asking the latter is that my speakers tend to have an overwhelming bass on some occasions (I assume it is a combination of song/speaker and room but wonder if a better amp would help?)

cheers - Laurent

A

Anonymous

May i ask what that price may be? :)

The sound quality difference is night and day. I also found myself being very analytical with my A5 wondering if what I was hearing was better/correct or not. The biggest difference for me with the 750 is that its just so musical. Everything you throw at it, it just happily plays back at you to put a smile on your face. Also the 750 would be a lot more controlled at highish volumes, and with your speakers the sound will be much better at higher volumes with less distortion present and a better musical presentation too.

To answer your questions - the 750 sounds just as good at low volumes as it does with high volumes - nothing is compromised at the volume goes up or down. Even when i have it set at low volumes for casual background listening, its still truly amazing.

The 750 is not bass shy in the least - the bass is MUCH more fuller, more agile, more musical than the A5 (which imo sounds a bit like an early bright Cyrus amplifier). It produces some of the most luxurious bass notes ive ever heard, your 802Ds would work very well with this ability. Every bass note played will be just as it was meant to be heard by the producers.

In short - if you have the money then the KW pre/750 is so close to a reference sound that for the money - its a no brainer imo compared to the A5. I paid just under 4000 for my pair, new. And I am even thinking about getting another 750 power amplifier as its just brilliant. Make sure you have a rack big enough for it - its MASSIVE! :)

If you have any questions please ask. I tend to rabble on a bit.....

ps Musical Fidelity have a Fine Tuning Section - upgrade your KW kit now or in a few years and get many more years of amazing sound quality. Always nice to have an upgrade path

A

Anonymous

May i ask what that price may be? :)

The sound quality difference is night and day. I also found myself being very analytical with my A5 wondering if what I was hearing was better/correct or not. The biggest difference for me with the 750 is that its just so musical. Everything you throw at it, it just happily plays back at you to put a smile on your face. Also the 750 would be a lot more controlled at highish volumes, and with your speakers the sound will be much better at higher volumes with less distortion present and a better musical presentation too.

To answer your questions - the 750 sounds just as good at low volumes as it does with high volumes - nothing is compromised at the volume goes up or down. Even when i have it set at low volumes for casual background listening, its still truly amazing.

The 750 is not bass shy in the least - the bass is MUCH more fuller, more agile, more musical than the A5 (which imo sounds a bit like an early bright Cyrus amplifier). It produces some of the most luxurious bass notes ive ever heard, your 802Ds would work very well with this ability. Every bass note played will be just as it was meant to be heard by the producers.

In short - if you have the money then the KW pre/750 is so close to a reference sound that for the money - its a no brainer imo compared to the A5. I paid just under 4000 for my pair, new. And I am even thinking about getting another 750 power amplifier as its just brilliant. Make sure you have a rack big enough for it - its MASSIVE! :)

If you have any questions please ask. I tend to rabble on a bit.....

ps Musical Fidelity have a Fine Tuning Section - upgrade your KW kit now or in a few years and get many more years of amazing sound quality. Always nice to have an upgrade path

A

Anonymous

The price would be approx. 7000? for the combo KW pre and KW750 (with the external transfo). Do you have an opinion on the price I should be paying (new or used)?

Good to hear that the quality improvement does not require high volumes (I noticed the great signal/noise ratio). I remain perplex re the bass control as my listening room (in fact my living room) is far from optimal. Besides room treatment seems a difficult option.

That being said I can only imagine it is more controlled than wiht the current A5.

Appreciate your comment about the rack. I would indeed need to change it (and put my A5 CDP on isolators as well).

one last question: I have noticed the illuminated feet and was wondering if they can be turned off? I'm not sure that would be good looking.

thanks - Laurent

A

Anonymous

Your listening room can drastically affect your sound reproduced from your system. As you can see from my room - its no where near ideal but still produces a gorgeous sound. That seems a good deall - try and get the dealer to knock it down to 6000 maybe as they are discontinued now, if not 7000 (if you can afford it) is still good value.

Unfortunately the blue lights cannot be turned off. the display on the cd player can be turned off, but the feet on all units stay on. Essentially if you are a good electrician - they can easily be turned off from the inside of the unit. But dont attempt this if you are not an electronic engineer in the audio field.

A

Anonymous

I will definitely not try and turn that off myself ;-)

instead I'll live with these lamps if I buy the set. I will contact them tomorrow to see if I can get the set for +/- 6000?.

out of curiosity, did you do a comparision with McIntosh or Class‚ Audio or any other well known brand?

thanks - Laurent

A

Anonymous

Hi Vinny,

I'm about to move on with the purchase of the KW750 and had one last question regarding the box. How warm does it get when it is being used? I would like to know if my living room will evolve into a sauna when I listen to music ;-)

thanks, Laurent

A

Anonymous

Hey Laurent,

Congratulations! I did a few comparisons with Chord Electronics, Primare & Classe. I was just never totally happy with the overall sound of them with the MA speakers. All 3 produced a lovely clean sound - but apart from being clean they had nothing really inviting me to sit for hours on end and enjoy the music. The MF was almost as clean and yet was so exciting to listen to - I never moved :)

In terms of the heat generated - it does get hot. It will increase the temperature in your room, but no more than any other 750W amplifier would to be honest. Leave the windows open :)

A

Anonymous

I took the plunge and got me the KW 750 amp with the hybrid pre. Boy, what a change compared to my A5.... it simply has more of everything: more transparence, bass control, precision... I did buy feet of silence (solid tech) for my A5 CDP as well which brings an improvement to the sound too. Especially because of the vibrations that disturbed the reading. My 802's are smiling at me now :)

Next on the list is a shelve that can accomodate the monsters.

cheers

TRENDING THREADS