What to do first

ldudley83

Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
Hi all its my first ever thread, I thought I could ask for some help regarding some options.

I have a Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD and amplifier with no speakers, still in the box

I have a pair of Genelec 8030's with no sub - currently run off of a Focusrite Scarlett

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650's - run from Tidal through the Scarlett - not enough level

I want a full working system but what do I purchase first? A decent headphone amp? A set of hifi speakers? or a Pro Audio sub? I have looked at the Universal Audio Apollo which os great as it gives me an interface for Pro Tools as well as headphones. I am interested in the 7050 sub from Genelc and also always been interested in CM8's Cm9's - I dont have a lot of time to go to places to listen...

Welcome to the forum.
Pretty much depends on you room size and preferred listening habits.
sounds like you are going to need a headphone amplifier at some point so I would get that first, something like the iFi Audio Zen Can should suffice.
later get some decent speakers and forget the sub.....
no doubt others will be along soon insisting you need one..... :)

treesey

Welcome.

Does your CD player not have a headphone out? Does your amplifier not have a headphone out? How times have changed.

So what is your primary source going to be? I could guess CD as you've bought a CD player? What's your budget? Can you not borrow speakers to demo in your own home over the weekend? That's what I'd do in your place as a first step.

ldudley83

Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome and replies. That headphone amp looks decent, although thats portable and good for work - in down times when we arent filming. I was looking at the HDV820 for home use or even the Universal Audio as it doubles up as a pro tools interface. ANd nope no headphone outs sadly.

Budget = hmmm a few grand per set of speakers and I think im going for the 7050C sub

ldudley83

Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
I need a sub as we sometimes do ADR with the actors and I have the scene infront of me (action movies). Also I my 8030's struggle at the bottom end when watching full range clips so I want a sub for pleasure as well.

DAC is another question id like help with.

I am looking at the Sennheiser HDV820 and also the UA apollo X as it gives me inputs into pro tools. But i wonder at what point im going to notice an actual improvement in the sound between a unit which is £500 (pounds) and a unit which is £2,000 if im playing a song back from tidal at master grade??

I bought the Zen headphone amp to see how it sounds - only one hundred pounds

Reactions: Al ears
I need a sub as we sometimes do ADR with the actors and I have the scene infront of me (action movies). Also I my 8030's struggle at the bottom end when watching full range clips so I want a sub for pleasure as well.

DAC is another question id like help with.

I am looking at the Sennheiser HDV820 and also the UA apollo X as it gives me inputs into pro tools. But i wonder at what point im going to notice an actual improvement in the sound between a unit which is £500 (pounds) and a unit which is £2,000 if im playing a song back from tidal at master grade??

I bought the Zen headphone amp to see how it sounds - only one hundred pounds
So can I take it this isn't going to be used in a typical home environment?
If so I cannot add anything further.

ldudley83

Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
It will be used in my home environment as well as at work.

2nd bedroom - no actual sound absorbing materials apart from curtains - am wanting to make the room sound good asap too.

Room size = 12ft by 18ft

doifeellucky

I didn’t know what ADR was, though I was familiar with the general concept, so thanks for detailing your specific requirements here, as I enjoyed finding out more about it. Personally though I think you need more professional advice. I’m sure there are other forums probably more suited than this one, but perhaps someone with some experience will add something later. Good luck.

Reactions: Al ears

ldudley83

Jun 1, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your replies
Can I therefor ask

would the musical fidelity drive the CM8’s nicely?

what difference should I expect to hear between a £100 headphone amplifier and a £2,000 amplifier?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts