Suspended wooden floor

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

I recently moved to a new apartment and have now noticed what a suspended wooden floor can do to a record player.

My girlfriend also seems to be less lightfooted than expected and I'm already driving her mad begging to be more careful.

I guess I could invest in a wall-mounted rack, but I'd rather not drill holes into the walls as we're still renting and are afraid of losing some of the deposit.

Is there a possibility to put something shockabsorbent under the feet of the record player? Can anyone relate to this problem and offer a solution.

Thanks!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi, yes I can certainly relate to the problem as I have a room with a suspended wooden floor and, being a fairly large sort of man(!), I can often get up from the listening position and cause the record to skip. I presume that you have a turntable with suspension rather than just a flat plinth. Is that right? You've identified the solution yourself really: a wall mounting; this would isolate the turntable from unwanted vibrations and improve the overall sound quality. Suspended floors are a damn nuisance really and suspended bouncy turntables are not ideal in this environment. I tried a much less bouncy turntable in this room and it didn't skip at all, but that would mean changing your turntable which you probably don't want to do. That's all I can offer really.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming to the end of my first 6 months rental of this property and already planning to move on. What with the incredible (floor shaking) vibrations from above and below, stamping on the floors by other tenants akin to that of a herd of elephants at a disco and the endless crashing of doors (at all hours) my patience is worn out and my passion for music suffering. I too have looked at wall mounting options but it will be for the walls of my next residence probably located somewhere in the middle of a field.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
friendly_ghost said:
So, no solutions whatsoever for my issue? I'll only be able to listen when I'm alone then I guess...

Short of something like a townshend seismic sink/expensive you could buy a set (3) of linn suspension springs off the bay. They cost around twenty quid. Then source an MDF or similar board the size of the foot print of your turntable and fix on top of the springs. Its a simple suspension platform which may or may not work but at least it won't cost the earth.

regards

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a rega rp3 on an oak "hi fi rack" which in turn sits directly on 100years + suspended floorboards. Never had a problem so maybe them spike things between the shelfs work. Would of put it on a wall shelf but have a column in the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts