Subwoofer on suspended floor

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi everybody.

I've been thinking about getting a small subwoofer for my system. I own a pair of ATC SCM11s, which I really love, but now and again I could do with a little bit of more low end.

The thing is my living room is fairly small (around 5m x 3,30m or someting like that) and it has suspended wooden floors and a high ceiling (around 3m). I've been researching the subject and it seems the best way would be to decouple the sub from the floor (using sorbothane or rubber feet. Washing machines anti vibration/anti walking pads seem an interesting proposition for instance), but I'm still afraid the low frequency pressure will rattle the floor.

Does anybody use a sub in a similar room? The sub I'm looking into is the Adam Audio Sub 7 (7'' front firing sub).

Thanks in advance.

abacus

Try it out and see how it goes, (Although to be honest I think you will need at least the Sub 10 to make a difference) if it does cause problems then the washing machine feet will be fine. (Don’t bother with any of these fancy (And expensive) isolation products (Unless recommended by a professional install company) as it is unlikely they will offer any advantage in your room)

As always the only way to be sure is to try it out.

Bill

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I am in a similar position.

I would recomment an Auralex Grammer.

In my case, I've have the Grammer sitting on a chunk of Granite that I had cut to size and trimmed round with wood,

CnoEvil said:

In my case, I've have the Grammer sitting on a chunk of Granite that I had cut to size and trimmed round with wood,

Good call. I am looking into getting a couple of the smaller ones to go under my floorstanders.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:

Good call. I am looking into getting a couple of the smaller ones to go under my floorstanders.

Ben Law (remember him?), asked me to photograph what I did.....and this is the result (post 35):

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/bens-hifi?page=2

The main thing is to avoid a downward firing sub on a suspended floor - a forward firing one will generally sound better in this situation. Downward firing tends to come across better with concrete floors. See how you get on initially, and if things need tightening up, either look at the Auralex platforms mentioned by Cno, or a slab of some type.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
If you can get a qacoustics q7070si sub with the option of returning it, if you don't like it. Then maybe you can give it a try.

It Is very flat and can be wall mounted, with the optional wall mount bracket that is available. So don't have to place on the floor at all. And the driver inside fires on a rigid iron plate , and bass emanates outwards through ports on all sides. So the bass feels well dispersed.

However it only goes to 40hz at -3db. And might not be deep enough for you.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
newlash09 said:
If you can get a qacoustics q7070si sub with the option of returning it, if you don't like it. Then maybe you can give it a try.

It Is very flat and can be wall mounted, with the optional wall mount bracket that is available. So don't have to place on the floor at all. And the driver inside fires on a rigid iron plate , and bass emanates outwards through ports on all sides. So the bass feels well dispersed.

Hi newlash and thank you for the recommendation. Wall mounting is my case is a no-go. I think I'll go with Adam, it goes low enough for me and it's an interesting proposition for a small space. And I love their active speakers :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
newlash09 said:

Hi newlash and thank you for the recommendation. Wall mounting is my case is a no-go. I think I'll go with Adam, it goes low enough for me and it's an interesting proposition for a small space. And I love their active speakers :)

If it is available, go for the Sub 8. Not much more cost wise and is usually the one that everyone goes for.

It has remote control of level and cross over frequency too, hours of fun.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:

Ben Law (remember him?), asked me to photograph what I did.....and this is the result (post 35):

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/bens-hifi?page=2

Just moved to a new house with also suspended wooden floors.

I think I need the Gramma V2 to go between the floor and my speaker stands with the spikes removed.

My question to you is how come you never just stuck the kef's ontop of the grammas, instead of making the whole granite thing also.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
My question to you is how come you never just stuck the kef's ontop of the grammas, instead of making the whole granite thing also.

The bottom part of the Gramma is a sort of stiff acoustic sponge, with a certain amount of "give". My speakers are tall and heavy, so I was worried about stability.....and it also looks a bit industrial.

As you can see from the photos, the Granite at the bottom and the wooden top of the Gramma, provided a slot for the wooden trim...this keeps the whole thing stable.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Andrewjvt said:

The bottom part of the Gramma is a sort of stiff acoustic sponge, with a certain amount of "give". My speakers are tall and heavy, so I was worried about stability.....and it also looks a bit industrial.

As you can see from the photos, the Granite at the bottom and the wooden top of the Gramma, provided a slot for the wooden trim...this keeps the whole thing stable.

Made out of wood?
Or am I confused

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
Pedro said:
newlash09 said:

If it is available, go for the Sub 8. Not much more cost wise and is usually the one that everyone goes for.

I just go the sub7 half an hour ago. I thought of the 8 model, but it's a small room, this one has a smaller footprint and I think it fits my needs. I'm going to try it both in the living room and in the study.

This model also has a remote, which will be handy.

I'm at work, but probably I'll only be able to take it home tomorrow, let's see!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
davedotco said:
Pedro said:
newlash09 said:

I just go the sub7 half an hour ago. I thought of the 8 model, but it's a small room, this one has a smaller footprint and I think it fits my needs. I'm going to try it both in the living room and in the study.

This model also has a remote, which will be handy.

I'm at work, but probably I'll only be able to take it home tomorrow, let's see!

My suggestion was purely based on the fact that the Sub 8 is more popular, nothing else. Might be different in your part of the world.

If you can, set it up so that you can try the filter on the 'satelite' speaker outputs, interested to hear what you think.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Made out of wood? Or am I confused

The Gramma is part material covered wood (on the top), with acoustic foam underneath. The trim that I added (between the Granite at the bottom and the top of the Gramma), is made of wood. I describe all this on post 4, in the thread that I linked to.

If you are using standmounts, I'd simply put granite under the stands.....this is because you should be able to use the stand itself to sink the vibrations into, by filling it with something like sand.

You can also get isolating spike shoes and isolating pads to go between the speaker and top of the stand.

My LS50s use the above solution, except the bottom plate of the stands are Blu-Tak'd to the granite (with spikes removed); wheras my Floorstanders use the Auralex Grammas.

EDIT. I've just checked prices of the Gramma V2 *shok*

I paid 35 Quid for mine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts