Bad Choice

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
So earlier in the week a thread was started about your best buys and your worst. I wanted to post on there but that thread has been restricted. So here I go in my opinion my worst buy/bad choice!

My hifi rack. It isn't an expensive rack just an alphason but when I bought it, I really thought a rack would be better than how I originally had my hifi.
We lived in a small Victorian terrace my main room was 9ft by 11ft and my hifi was on home made shelves consisting of MDF sheets and really chunky and sturdy brackets from B&Q. Being a Victorian terrace with suspended floors my speaker cables I ran under the floor, me crawling around in the 3ft of space between the floorboards and bedrock.
We then moved to a bigger Victorian terrace house, main room 15ft by 17ft, suspended floors again so speaker cables again under the floor and here is the problem springy suspended wooden floors and a hifi rack don't play nicely with my Rega turntable. The number of times the tone arm has jumped just with me walking near the rack.
I want to bolt shelves to the wall like our old house but Rach isn't keen.IMG_20230903_224539631.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
So earlier in the week a thread was started about your best buys and your worst. I wanted to post on there but that thread has been restricted. So here I go in my opinion my worst buy/bad choice!

My hifi rack. It isn't an expensive rack just an alphason but when I bought it, I really thought a rack would be better than how I originally had my hifi.
We lived in a small Victorian terrace my main room was 9ft by 11ft and my hifi was on home made shelves consisting of MDF sheets and really chunky and sturdy brackets from B&Q. Being a Victorian terrace with suspended floors my speaker cables I ran under the floor, me crawling around in the 3ft of space between the floorboards and bedrock.
We then moved to a bigger Victorian terrace house, main room 15ft by 17ft, suspended floors again so speaker cables again under the floor and here is the problem springy suspended wooden floors and a hifi rack don't play nicely with my Rega turntable. The number of times the tone arm has jumped just with me walking near the rack.
I want to bolt shelves to the wall like our old house but Rach isn't keen.View attachment 5177
In the spirit of the thread you started, this wasn't technically a sole best purchase because it consisted of multiple purchases to make one whole and it probably cost less than your alphason rack.
My DIY HiFi and PC desktop was a great purchase for me and it is solid and stable as a giant lump of rock. I was nervous about the wooden floor boards underneath the carpet but they holding up, just.
Its something you might wish to explore?
It really isn't difficult to construct - see photos

Materials
Solid Oak desktop 1200x600x40mm
Pair of solid metal T shape legs
Bolts
Drill
Ample supply of tea and biscuits

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_135045.jpg
    IMG_20230422_135045.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230422_135034.jpg
    IMG_20230422_135034.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230422_135012.jpg
    IMG_20230422_135012.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230421_170838.jpg
    IMG_20230421_170838.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230421_170859.jpg
    IMG_20230421_170859.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 9

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
In the spirit of the thread you started, this wasn't technically a sole best purchase because it consisted of multiple purchases to make one whole and it probably cost less than your alphason rack.
My DIY HiFi and PC desktop was a great purchase for me and it is solid and stable as a giant lump of rock. I was nervous about the wooden floor boards underneath the carpet but they holding up, just.
Its something you might wish to explore?
It really isn't difficult to construct - see photos

Materials
Solid Oak desktop 1200x600x40mm
Pair of solid metal T shape legs
Bolts
Drill
Ample supply of tea and biscuits
I've thought about having just one long shelf bolted to the wall rather that the multiple shelves I had before, there is the space. But Rach isn't keen.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
That seems to be the theme 😕
🤣 She has her reasons. Her idea is that before, we were in a mid terrace, we are now in a gable end and the shelves would be on an outside facing wall she is worried about cold and damp effecting my hifi. Never mind it's a cavity wall and the same wall the hifi rack is next too 🤷

Reactions: Gray

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I've thought about having just one long shelf bolted to the wall rather that the multiple shelves I had before, there is the space. But Rach isn't keen.
I hear you, you're in a bit of a pickle.
Ask Rach what is acceptable and hopefully you're able to find a way forward.

The shelf on the wall is a good option, I think if you can sell the idea that it's a piece of furniture; a nice plank of rustic wood, that looks nice to the eyes; rather than boring white MDF, perhaps she'll warm to the idea?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
🤣 She has her reasons. Her idea is that before, we were in a mid terrace, we are now in a gable end and the shelves would be on an outside facing wall she is worried about cold and damp effecting my hifi. Never mind it's a cavity wall and the same wall the hifi rack is next too 🤷
HiFi can be moved sensible distance away from the wall, negating any cold or damp effecting the HiFi.
I think it's more about the visuals :) I have absolute faith in you Cricketbat70, you can do it! :)

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
HiFi can be moved sensible distance away from the wall, negating any cold or damp effecting the HiFi.
I think it's more about the visuals :) I have absolute faith in you Cricketbat70, you can do it! :)
Oh yeah, I can do it and if I had the money I'd get someone to do the shelf out of a couple of offcuts with bark still attached and coloured resin. I'm a sucker for tables and shelves done like that.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I suppose I've got a bargaining chip now too, as I've built a fence round our front yarden so we can sit out without being oggled by people on the bus (bus stop right outside our house) and staff at the factory across the road taking their cigarette breaks View attachment 5185View attachment 5186
You made a GOOD CHOICE putting up the fence, nice what you done with the lighting, now all you need is some cold beers :)

Reactions: Cricketbat70

DCarmi

Ah! I know where you are!! Not giving too much away....

My parents used to live in the town. They lived not far from the Catholic church and Dad latterly worked at the mattress factory. I'll have passed your house many times, though not been up there for about 10 years.

Also, my Grandparents-in-law used to lived in Burnley, so I know that part of the country reasonably well.

Reactions: Cricketbat70

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts