Supposing you were to start again

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
A custom built PC as the source.

A secondhand Yamaha RX-V667 receiver with analogue 'pre-outs' so that it can be used with active speakers.

Five AVI ADM9RSS speakers and an AVI 10" subwoofer used in a 5.1 surround sound setup.

T

the record spot

No idea. It'd depend on where I was living. Some good speakers, a flexible source, something that'd let me make the most of HD Master Audio, maybe some big Genelecs, and a second traditional system.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would spin back the wheel of time to just before I bought a Naim Nait 5i/CD5i/NAT05/nSats system in March 2009, and then (with 20/20 hindsight of course) wait patiently until Naim launched their first NaimUniti.

With your generous £5000 (thanks mate) I would have had enough to partner the 'Uniti with a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs.

If memory serves correctly, I would still have had £1500 left over from that budget to afford to re-decorate the living room and have a nice gourmet weekend for two at Gidleigh Park hotel with my wife. (Do-able at their 2009 prices.)

Thanks again for the £5000 - and the loan of the time machine - to 'start again'. (And the food was excellent.)

Probably would start by trying a Naim Uniti 2 and some PMC twenty:23.

But if I had some time to spend, then maybe a Prima Luna amp and some Sonus faber Venere 2.5. Then again, I've never owned panels, so maybe some Magnepans. Or perhaps just a Unitilite and some Guru Juniors or KEF LS50s, and the rest on NAS, downloads and some neat cabling...

Or a 50% deposit on a Devialet amp, and raid my pension and savings for the rest of the system. Now we're talking... :rockout:

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
Musical Fidelity M6i, Audiolab 8200cd and B&W CM8. Even though I own two of these now, starting from scratch, thats where I would be.........hmmm just need to save for that amp, when I have finished moving house, buying new furniture, saving for daughters uni time etc etc

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
ADM40's if starting from scratch would need serious consideration or if only adding to my existing system - a pair of Naim Ovator S-400s leaving the change for a pretty serious drugs binge

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Some ADM40s sound good, but I don't know about shipping them half way around the world.
Maybe some Yamaha HS80Ms and either a NuForce Icon HDP or a Luxman DA-200 doing DAC and pre-amp duties. Should leave me a fair bit of change for other activities.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Definitely a minimalist DSP / active system of some kind. I have gone past my racks of equipment / miles of cable stage in life.

I am an electrostatic fan, are there active electrostatics available?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd go Martin Logan, the Electromotion, MyDAC, NAD 356 amp, VPI Traveler and the rest on records as I don't have any. The mac would continue as digital source.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
If I had to keep my current room, it would be filled with some DIY speakers, either Fullrange drivers on OB with bass support (as I am planning atm) or some DIY corner horns with active crossovers, a selection of SET amps like the Decware Zen (in progress), Trancendent OTL etc. No idea on the Turntable. Digital Source would still probably be the Sony for the moment, no need to change.

Decware Zen SET: (currently building a DIY version)

sz550.jpg

OB would be DIY similar to this: (I already have the full-range-drivers)

AcousticPlanVeena-1.jpg

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Hmm,this has got me thinking (not a good sign) I said in an earlier reply that I`d go the active route with some ATC`s, I see the ATC SCM20 SL`s available at around £6500, now if I were to sell (or trade in) the ATC P1 power and Proac D18 Response speakers how much would I have to put in to make up the difference? Perhaps some of our friendly dealers could give me a rough estimate ? Just when I thought I`d been cured of the upgrade bug..........

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
basshound said:
Hmm,this has got me thinking (not a good sign) I said in an earlier reply that I`d go the active route with some ATC`s, I see the ATC SCM20 SL`s available at around £6500, now if I were to sell (or trade in) the ATC P1 power and Proac D18 Response speakers how much would I have to put in to make up the difference? Perhaps some of our friendly dealers could give me a rough estimate ? Just when I thought I`d been cured of the upgrade bug..........

Very roughly, you'd be looking at about £1000 each for the P1 and for the speakers, so some way short of a new pair of active 20s. With the £5k we've kindly been given I'd go for a second hand pair of active 50s and a decent dac/pre such as the Benchmark DAC1, or something lower priced if it sounded as good.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
Some ADM40s sound good, but I don't know about shipping them half way around the world.
Maybe some Yamaha HS80Ms and either a NuForce Icon HDP or a Luxman DA-200 doing DAC and pre-amp duties. Should leave me a fair bit of change for other activities.

Other people manage to get them round the other side of the world without any problems. :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts