Supposing you were to start again

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
john dolan said:
There was a chap a few months back bought ADM40s with a custom finish and hated the sound when he got them and found he couldnt return them for a refund so part exchanged them at a dealers for a Linn system and lost over a 1000 pounds on the 40s.

Why did he not sell them, or course trading in you will lose money.

I'm sure we can all drag up unhappy owners this Cyrus owner is not too happy: "I purchased my Cyrus CD8 CD Player in 2004. I returned it for warranty repair due to constant “Disc error” readings. It finally gave up the ghost in March this year and was advised I probably needed a new carrier at around £300. I have used Quad equipment for over 30 years without a problem but I guess that’s another story. Cyrus offered an upgrade for £350 to the new CD8SE but said I would have to wait until August for the replacement kit (4 months without CD player). I then started to hear of loading problems with the CD6SE and spoke to Peter the MD at Cyrus. I explained that I thought it unfair that I was being forced to upgrade because of a basic failing in his kit. He told me that the problem was with Philips and not Cyrus and that the new CDSE had solved the carrier problem. When I told him my Quad kit didn’t need replacing after 3 and a bit years he arrogantly replied “electrical kit is like a light bulb you never now when it is going to fail”. (Cyrus £1100…light bulb 29p)."

That was written in 2008.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
If i could have a home demo of the adm9s and they bettered my systemi would buy them but i cant so i havent.

The adm40 guy took the chance and didnt like what he heard so paid the price for it maybe the money involved is pocket change to him it isnt to me.

So much choice out there that will let you home dem why take a chance on something you cant hear first when the price is over 3k thats a big ask.

Even if you made the trip to AVI to hear the speakers you still dont know how they will sound in your own home.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
john dolan said:
If i could have a home demo of the adm9s and they bettered my systemi would buy them but i cant so i havent.

The adm40 guy took the chance and didnt like what he heard so paid the price for it maybe the money involved is pocket change to him it isnt to me.

So much choice out there that will let you home dem why take a chance on something you cant hear first when the price is over 3k thats a big ask.

Even if you made the trip to AVI to hear the speakers you still dont know how they will sound in your own home.

Yes that is true. I thought he would have heard the ARS9s first to see if heliked the sound or at least heard them somewhere else, there are a few dealers or owners that will let you hear them.

Whereabouts are you John?

By the way you can return the ARS9s within a month, think the cost is around £20, if I decide to go that way thats what I will do as its much cheaper than driving to Gloucesershire and back.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Im in Nottingham M8.

It was the ADM40s the guy bought which had a custom finish so i think cost 4k which is too great a gambe to take without a home demo never mind even hearing the things.

Heres my speakers

https://sites.google.com/site/dikdolan/ipls3.JPG

Also use PMC

https://sites.google.com/site/ayupfromdik/files/ASpassion1.jpg?attredirects=0&d=1

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
john dolan said:

If you joined the AVI/HDD internet forum i'm sure you would get many offers from members happy to demonstrate their own systems to you (including ADM40s).

Bound to be one that lives within a reasonable distance.

Can't be much worse than many hi-fi products that are - supposedly - available in the 'High Steet' but - in reality - are only stocked by a tiny number of dealers. (And even then, they are often only listed as a stockist but don't actually carry any of the items for demo.)

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
I did join it i got banned for saying PMC actives sounded better than the original ADM i heard.plus me and the mod have history id rather not go into as i dont want to be anti AVI.

I have half been thinking of trying some Audiosmile Kensai as i like the look of those and the price would also put them in the same ball park of the latest ADM so would be interested in hearing the latest AVI jobbies if theres a dealer near Nottingham id be interested.

I thought the PMC AML were much better than the original ADMs but the latest ones are said to be much improved.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm a really happy AVI owner.

Im lucky I live half hour away, and being honest there's no way I'd have ordered the 40s without a thorough demo.

The majority of people will be gobsmacked by them, but its still a heck of a punt.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Having a had a few demos at dealers none very successful, I think home demo is the way but not that easy to arrange and of course 2 trips needed to the dealer, thats going to cost as much if not more.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Well the Audiosmile Kensai ive been thinking about let you buy them on your credit card build you the speakers and let you have them for 10 days and if your not happy with them you can return them for full refund and only pay the shipping costs but if you want to keep them you need do nothing.

Why dont AVI offer the same kind service im sure they would sell more speakers if they did.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you can comfortably afford over £3K for a pair of speakers then you can afford to get to hear them.

(Assuming you haven't had to eat nothing but beans on toast for a year and sell the car to get the money!)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Are the Audio Kensai actives?

They do seem rather small at 150x250x200mm and seem to cost £2,000, the ADMs 9RSS are £1,400.

I think the nearest dealer to you is Birmingham.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
john dolan said:
Well the Audiosmile Kensai ive been thinking about let you buy them on your credit card build you the speakers and let you have them for 10 days and if your not happy with them you can return them for full refund and only pay the shipping costs but if you want to keep them you need do nothing.

Why dont AVI offer the same kind service im sure they would sell more speakers if they did.

They do on the ADM9s, you have 1 month to return, but the ADM40s are custom built.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
john dolan said:
I did join it i got banned for saying PMC actives sounded better than the original ADM ...

What did you expect? It's the manufacturer's official website.

Well it was called HDD then and when asked denied any connection to AVI seems that wasnt true.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
I do like the option to chop and change kit and going active would limit my choices.

ive been waiting for John Westlake to bring out his psu for the m-dac and his new power amps and then was thinking of giving the Kensai a try but theres many ways to play a tune and not sure which way to go yet.

Ive made my own active speakers in the past and aslo run them passive and to my ears the difference isnt as great as some like to claim it is.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Dont want to turn this into a AVI thread sorry OP but quick question to ADM owners.

Is it possible to buy 2 slave ADM and use those with my existing dac and preamp ? if so how much cheaper would that be.

Ive got 12 preamps and 4 dacs ect so dont need the internal dac and pre of the AVIs.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually, you have managed to turn this into an AVI/ADM thread.

Perhaps you could put a line under it now, mate. If you have a query, why not give AVI a bell? I'm certain they'd love to help.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
:)
john dolan said:
Dont want to turn this into a AVI thread sorry OP but quick question to ADM owners.

Is it possible to buy 2 slave ADM and use those with my existing dac and preamp ? if so how much cheaper would that be.

Ive got 12 preamps and 4 dacs ect so dont need the internal dac and pre of the AVIs.

In this thread ive talked about what i would buy and mentioned PMC ATC AVI Bryston Cyrus Event Opals and Audiosmile Kensai and did say sorry to the OP but if you guys want im happy to delete my posts.:)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You can't delete. Best bet is not to talk about them for a bit. As I said, ask Ash your questions directly. He seems a nice chap and willing to help. Might even let you go back to his forum which, if you remove the AVI propaganda, is a good way of keeping up with the world of active speakers and computer audio.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
john dolan said:

youcan, but if AVI were to supply I'm not sure if they would be much cheaper.

Also if you ever wanted to move on you'd be limiting your market.

They have an RCA input, I use this with the 9s, so the DAC & pre amp of my Yamaha is still used.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
john dolan said:

Whilst it is entirely possible, it wouldn't be much cheaper I'd imagine. Wouldn't you be better off sourcing a pair of more traditional actives?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts