Supposing you were to start again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
A second hand Marantz PM14 amp.

A cheap reliable CD player like the Marantz CD5000 I have right now, to use as a transport.

Rega DAC

A pair Harberths or similar speakers

My iMac (which I already own)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
ID. said:
Some ADM40s sound good, but I don't know about shipping them half way around the world.
Maybe some Yamaha HS80Ms and either a NuForce Icon HDP or a Luxman DA-200 doing DAC and pre-amp duties. Should leave me a fair bit of change for other activities.
Other people manage to get them round the other side of the world without any problems.
It's the auditioning that's the problem. Once you factor in the cost of a visit to the UK to listen to them, they're not so good a deal. Also, should they go wrong inside our outside of warranty, freight charges would be prohibitive. ATCs would make a better choice if only for those reasons.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
]It's the auditioning that's the problem. Once you factor in the cost of a visit to the UK to listen to them, they're not so good a deal. Also, should they go wrong inside our outside of warranty, freight charges would be prohibitive. ATCs would make a better choice if only for those reasons.

Exactly. at those prices I'm reluctant to ship a pair to Japan, even if I could return them. Ironically, ProAc speakers are so overpriced here that I could fly to the UK, and bring back a pair for a bit less than buying them retail here.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Also a big factor for me with the AVI kit is its run by 2 old men what happens when you need a repair or service to your speakers in 10 years time or so you will find the products are landfill.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
First of all I would have any NHS dentist who was brought up in the "drill and fill" era tied to his own chair, to be followed by that scene from The Odessa Files where the guy gets all his teeth pulled out (I'm not sure I've got the right movie, anyway you get my point). GBP5000 probably won't cover the cost of implants I need to replace the FOUR missing molars that crumbled to bits over the last ten years after all that was left was fillings. |(

Oh, and I wouldn't have bought any Def Leppard LPs. :roll:

But otherwise I'd still start with the Cyrus DAC-XP+ (or hopefully an all new DAC-XP mark 2), a pair of Mono-X300s, and right there I'm at five grand or more. 8)

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Mono-X300s cost £2500 each so theres your 5 k right there and the dacXP with psxr is another 3k and then you dont have any speakers or a source.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
john dolan said:
Also a big factor for me with the AVI kit is its run by 2 old men what happens when you need a repair or service to your speakers in 10 years time or so you will find the products are landfill.

In 10 years time, you could just buy another pair of RSS's or ADM40's, as they will be highly affordable on the 2nd hand market then. Or if it was just a driver that had gone you could go to the original manufacturer of the drivers and see if you could get one off them. If it was the power supply, DAC, pre-amp, active crossover or one of the power amps that had gone you'd have a choice of getting it repaired or ripping the whole lot out and using external electronics, all of which could be bought at equivalent or better quality for affordable prices on the 2nd hand market.

The only servicing that these speakers might ever require during your lifetime would be replacement of the driver surrounds if they perished which is a simple enough DIY or 3rd party job or replacement of capacitors which again is not a difficult job for anyone proficient with a soldering iron.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Overdose said:
ADM9RSS + ADM Sub, taller stands and the rest on music.

Would you not prefer the ADM40's if you had £5000?

They would still leave you with £1750 to spend on music.

If they came in another finish, maybe, but I prefer the look of the 9s on stands. The 40's are arguably better, but they wouldn't fit right in my room in any case. I also forgot to add a source, so either a later Mac mini with iPad or Synology NAS, ATV and iPad.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Having just started again, re buying a complete new system from A to Z a few scant months ago, so as to replace/update my otherwise existing system, I'd simply repeat the buy if it was all stolen (heaven forbid!) or the house burnt down.

I'm especially pleased from an buying, ownership, and performance point of view to have bought a non-audiophile brand.

I've copped flack from some audiophile quarters, re being told how my choices can be easily bettered etc - and as per usual this is 'proven' by generalised, sometimes rude, and often totally inaccurate subjective comment.

Quite why some audiophiles and manufacturers feel the need to be so basically disrespectful to their perceived competitors, or everyday consumers who make choices for a balance of reasons, is beyond me, but it is surely one of the many reasons why I have as littlle to do with obessive audiophiles, and the audiophile manufacturers that have 'attitude', these days.

It's also great to have stepped off the 'upgrade' ladder as promoted by the retail Hifi industry, and to not feel any need, in any way, to change anything.

At last I have kit that serves the needs of this predominately classical music lover, and with no audio foo or manufacturer attiude required for the total enjoyment thereof.

Call me an very, very happy, ex-audiophile..
smiley-smile.gif

JB :cheers:

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
john dolan said:

I don't quite like the 'old men' comment, as it seems a bit ageist, but I do agree that when AJ and Mart pass on, the future is probably not looking very bright for the company and the owners who have invested in their products - they're probably too small a company to warrant a 'takeover' by another audio concern, and hence will probably die out with AJ & Mart, sad to say.

JB

A

Anonymous

JMacMan said:
I'm especially pleased from an buying, ownership, and performance point of view to have bought a non-audiophile brand.

I've copped flack from some audiophile quarters, re being told how my choices can be easily bettered etc - and as per usual this is 'proven' by generalised, sometimes rude, and often totally inaccurate subjective comment.

JB

Oh go on, JB, tell us what the new system is! I for one promise not to make generalised, rude, or totally inaccurate subjective comments ...

Paul.

I'm fairly happy with my setup for movies and it cost peanuts (relatively speaking), so If I did exactly the same again I would have around £3k left over to spend on a good projector and a screen to drop down from the ceiling :)

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
JMacMan said:
john dolan said:

I don't quite like the 'old men' comment, as it seems a bit ageist, but I do agree that when AJ and Mart pass on, the future is probably not looking very bright for the company and the owners who have invested in their products - they're probably too small a company to warrant a 'takeover' by another audio concern, and hence will probably die out with AJ & Mart, sad to say.

JB

The 'old men' comment, i should of said retirement age as Ash is 65 plus now isnt he and id think mart is not far behind.

Its just when paying out large sums on a product i like to know it will be supported for years to come.

Go back a few years and if i was looking for a pre and power tuner and cd player if id picked AVI those products would now nolonger be supported but for the same outlay if id picked Naim or Linn or Quad id still be able to send them back for service and repair maybe some dont care about things like that but i do.

Now they are at retirement age if you buy a AVI product now and it goes wrong and theres more to go wrong dont forget inside a active speaker that also contains a dac and a preamp it would make me think twice about spending 3k plus when theres other products that will still be repairable from other brands is all.

i meant them no dissrespect by saying old men.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
john dolan said:
JMacMan said:
john dolan said:

JB

The 'old men' comment, i should of said retirement age as Ash is 65 plus now isnt he and id think mart is not far behind.

Its just when paying out large sums on a product i like to know it will be supported for years to come.

Go back a few years and if i was looking for a pre and power tuner and cd player if id picked AVI those products would now nolonger be supported but for the same outlay if id picked Naim or Linn or Quad id still be able to send them back for service and repair maybe some dont care about things like that but i do.

Now they are at retirement age if you buy a AVI product now and it goes wrong and theres more to go wrong dont forget inside a active speaker that also contains a dac and a preamp it would make me think twice about spending 3k plus when theres other products that will still be repairable from other brands is all.

I don't really agree, parts can be obtained and you can either fix yourself or get someone else to do it. Try sending stuff back to some manufacturers they either don't want to know or they will charge you an arm for it.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
john dolan said:
Mono-X300s cost £2500 each so theres your 5 k right there and the dacXP with psxr is another 3k and then you dont have any speakers or a source.

I was counting on the fact that I'm in the USA and would buy them all from a certain retailer in Scotland who is used to selling to ex-pat oil-men like me to save the 20% VAT:dance:

, so that brings the GBP8K down to GBP6.66K (cue Iron Maiden background music), so I guess I might have to settle for the Mono-X200s, but in a 15 ft x 20 ft "rumpus room" they should still do the trick of annoying the snot out of the wife...:dance: :dance:

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Put it this way if you are in the market for a product and youve done your research and have a choice of 4 and 3 of those 4 have a long trusted reputation of supporting and repairing what they make one of those would get my hard earned why would you buy from a company you know doesnt support its products and wont be around much longer.

How many guys here have the skill and test gear to strip and rebuild the amps and dac inside the AVI kit im sure you can count them on the fingers of one hand.

If your ATC or PMC actives go wrong you know you have support for decades to come.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
matthewgbell said:
JMacMan said:

JB

Oh go on, JB, tell us what the new system is! I for one promise not to make generalised, rude, or totally inaccurate subjective comments ...

Oh, Ok then...lol

Left and Right main speakers are pictured in my Avatar (Beolab 9's); preamp/surround processor/centre channel/display is a V1-40 - all by B&O.

Source for music streaming is iMac with RB CDs ripped in ALAC + Apple TV3 via HDMI to the V1-40

Movies, & M/C SACD discs, is via a Sony Bluray via HDMI to the V1-40.

As I say, a very non-audiophile system, (B&O don't really market to audiophiles) but I'm delighted with it, on performance, quality, value for money, aesthetic, system integration and customer service grounds, as an AV consumer purchase, from a highly reputable manufacturer with impeccable R&D credentials.

JB

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Who knows, half these companies could be gone in 10 years time.

Well for sure noone knows for sure who will still be around in 10 years but if you look to say ATC and PMC who supply most of the worlds top recording studios or if you want a amp firms like Bryston do the same and come with a 20 year warranty they are a safer bet than most.

If you had bought a AVI power amp and its gone wrong they dont carry spares and cant repair it but if you bought a Bryston amp they do and can.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
john dolan said:
JMacMan said:
john dolan said:

JB

No problems at all, I just get a bit pedantic sometimes about things like ageism, sexism, blah blah etc, - the usual.

As to your main point - I agree entirely - part of the reason I went for B&O is that they will support their products with spare parts going back the best part of thirty years; their business practices and customer service, speaking as a first hand consumer experience, is absolutely top tier.

Yes, as has been suggested you can play around with a soldering iron if you're so inclined or have the skills, with possibly outdated AVI products, but why should you?

When I'm spending a large amount of money on HIFi, a lot more than just the 'sound' matters to me, speaking personally of course.

It is after all a consumer purchase like any other, and I expect certain standards as regards business practices, customer service and backup re spares etc.

In fairness, other hobbyists will be content to get all hands on and fiddle about - but that's not really me anymore, having been there and done that.

Apologies if it seemed as if I was having a 'go' at you re the old men comment ..
smiley-wink.gif

JB

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:

That article first came out in January of this year; B&O are closing their more unprofitable stores and opening new ones in more profitable markets such as China.

Worst case scenario is that they may be bought out by either another HiFi company, or a financial concern, much as the owners of Focal bought Naim.

As to whether they would continue in the same vein as regards products and design etc, is debatable.

However, I doubt very much that they'd ever totally disappear off the HiFi scene.

JB

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Who knows, half these companies could be gone in 10 years time.

exactly.

Also, what is there in an AVI speaker that could not be maintained / repaired by a competent person ?

Reading between the lines they will still give back up to their older equipment where possible. How many manufacturers would keep an indefinite supply of spares for their old equipmen anywayt ?

More likely they'd offer you a credit note on one of their new products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I read lots of comments about getting their hifi repaired only to be told by the man. that the parts are no longer available, Cyrus springs to mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts