never used CD player, to buy or not

srdjam

Nov 28, 2023
Visit site
Hello

I apologise this is not a hi fi device, but I guess you can give me useful advice. I intend to buy a DJ cd player (Pioneer CDJ 1000 mk3) that was made in 2009 an never used ( maybe never turned on at all). It is stacked for 15 years in a shop warehouse.

If I ask seller just to turn it on and try a cd on it, would that be ok for me to buy it (It's a distance sale)?

Are there any real threats to the machine, not working for 15 years and become active just now?

Thanks

It’s going to depend on how it has been kept.
If it was cold and damp, then you may have issues with corrosion.
If it’s been dry and not cold it would stand a better chance. Take that into consideration when negotiating a price. And possible return.

Reactions: nopiano

srdjam

Nov 28, 2023
Visit site
It’s going to depend on how it has been kept.
If it was cold and damp, then you may have issues with corrosion.
If it’s been dry and not cold it would stand a better chance. Take that into consideration when negotiating a price. And possible return.
Thank you bigfish.

I guess it is the second case. The price is very good (not many people buy cdj nowdays and I get 2 years warranty). Return would be tricky, but I overcome that.

What I meant is, could there be any issues with the mechanics and electronics not being used for 15 years even if the storage conditions were perfect.

Thank you bigfish.

I guess it is the second case. The price is very good (not many people buy cdj nowdays and I get 2 years warranty). Return would be tricky, but I overcome that.

What I meant is, could there be any issues with the mechanics and electronics not being used for 15 years even if the storage conditions were perfect.
You are more likely to have issues with any rubber components rather than the electronics side.

It is a risk, as some items are DOA - dead on arrival - even if only weeks old, but if they check it over you eliminate that. I agree with Al about the rubber parts being most susceptible.

Who is giving the two year guarantee? Presumably the retailer, as no manufacturer would do so.

A sheer guess, but 15 years ago it was common for original packing to include a sachet of silica gel granules, to absorb moisture. These are less popular these days, in my experience, but that might have helped. If it has baked in the heat and frozen in the cold, it’ll be less well preserved, but if stored at normal temperatures it should survive.

It is a risk, as some items are DOA - dead on arrival - even if only weeks old, but if they check it over you eliminate that. I agree with Al about the rubber parts being most susceptible.

Who is giving the two year guarantee? Presumably the retailer, as no manufacturer would do so.

A sheer guess, but 15 years ago it was common for original packing to include a sachet of silica gel granules, to absorb moisture. These are less popular these days, in my experience, but that might have helped. If it has baked in the heat and frozen in the cold, it’ll be less well preserved, but if stored at normal temperatures it should survive.
Yep, sat for 15 years in who k knows what conditions is not easy to recommend.
I am more interested in why the OP wants it....... :)

Gray

Hello

I apologise this is not a hi fi device
It sort of could be if you put its digital output through an external DAC (y)

Maybe you want it for fun.
(I borrowed one for a few days and it was certainly fun - using the 3 hot cue buttons to sample, you can remix tracks on the fly, use it in scratch vinyl mode and play CDs backwards if you're that way inclined :)).

You said you can get it for a good price - which needs to be a fair bit less than the original new price.
If so and you confirm that you can easily return it if necessary, then make sure you give it extensive testing early on to ensure all is well (plenty of discs in / out of the slot load).

I doubt durability will be a problem, in view of the task they're designed for. (The one I borrowed was one of two that see fairly heavy use in a club).

Good luck.
If you get it, you will have fun.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Dare I say it, Can't see it being a problem if they are unused.
I've had hifi things stored yrs even in a cold garage including DJ equipment that works fine.
After yrs at the game it's only ever cross-faders and cartridges on the record decks I've ever replaced.
I agree asking for it to be turned on is fair and its age should reflect it's price.
The rubber disks used to perish but they are available and inexpensive.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts