Sub (PV1) near a radiator

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Advice, please: due to my tv stand ending up longer than I would have wanted , my subwoofer is pushed further into my bay window. It now stands half in front of a radiator, and only 10cm away from it. Will this be an issue? It will end up in a part of it getting hot, and expanding. Not sure it will cause any long term issues? Any boffins have a view? It is more of a health and safety thing, than a performance worry! One other thing.... Will it make any diiference to sound quality if I turn all three front MT1's (MT30 system) on their side, rather than just the centre??? Tweeters outwards, obviously.

A

Anonymous

Common sense says I wouldn't recommend it. Although the sub may not be as sensitve to heat as say a dvd player, I don't think putting any hi-fi/cinema source that close to a rad will do it any good in the long term.
There is always a way round it, try a longer sub lead or extend the power cable if that i the problem so you can move the sub anywhere in the room ie. Near your seating position.
Or if you get desperate which you shouldn't really, you could shield the sub from the rad (providing it is a forward firing one) with something mdf maybe. lol.
Good Luck

A

Anonymous

Cheers, but I was after a scientific answer, not guess work. I can suspect it may cause harm, but there is a good chance it will make no difference at all, so no need to worry? It is a B&W PV1 so side firing. There is no option but where it is, as any further past the radiator is behind a door! If anyone has a definative answer (based on more than a good guess) please let me know!
Cheers

A

Anonymous

In that case man, Just try not to have the heating on full blast when your sub is on. Which i must say is unlikely in this weather anyway but winter obviously. One of my two subs is a couple of feet from a rad so I just put something in between it.

A

Anonymous

stick an aluminium wrap heatsheid round the corner of your rad

A

Anonymous

beter still fit a thermostat valve to rad that way u can control how much heat through that rad

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts