Stands/risers for tower speakers?

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I just went through some tweeking with my room and system and it's lovely now, like it never was... even more so if I seat on the floor :p

I'm running a pair of Q Acoustics 3050i and that tweeter seats low at about 78cm. A lot of reviews for the 3030i mention getting higher than normal stands and not the original ones because of a similar problem. If I'm not mistaken, Darko mentions 78cm Atacama stands for the bookshelves, which would mean about 100cm for a good tweeter hight. Seems about right to me.

Is this even done? Tower speakers on stands? I couldn't find anything 22cm high and with a wide enough base for 3050i legs... does such a thing exist?

Or maybe adjust the spikes so that the speakers tilt slightly higher?

Tilting them back will have the same effect in terms of the axis upon which you listen. This will make them sound brighter.

However, what you may be hearing , while sitting on the floor, is the reflection/reinforcement from the floor. If that’s the case then raising them will diminish that.

What are you hearing that you like better on the floor?

Reactions: Al ears and Kutusov

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
You could try looking for stands meant for centre speakers. They are usually quite low. Or Hifiracks.co.uk can do custom sizes I think.

Right, thanks!

Tilting them back will have the same effect in terms of the axis upon which you listen. This will make them sound brighter.

However, what you may be hearing , while sitting on the floor, is the reflection/reinforcement from the floor. If that’s the case then raising them will diminish that.

What are you hearing that you like better on the floor?

The floor now has a thick shaggy rug that cover the entire floor area from back wall to listening position. I know it doesn't get rid of nearly as much reflections as one would imagine though...

So what I hear is what I would describe as a more coesive sound, the speakers trully disapear and put me in this bubble of sound where everything comes from that middle image. So long as my ears are slightly below the tweeter.

If I sit on the cough, the tweeter is way below my ears and then I'm just listening to speakers, stuff just doesn't merge so well. I might be imagening things but I can almost tell not only where the speakers are but also what is coming from the woofer or the tweeter, stuff is just not as seamless.

I was just listening to David Sylvian's "When Poets Dreamed of Angels" to try to reply to your question and it's a night and day difference. I'd never even heard that track being so imersive and playful with space before, I had no idea. When I sit up on the couch, yeah, it's a nice track that I know well...

Because sitting on the floor means that I'm 1 or 2 feet closer to the speakers, I tried moving the couch and then widening the toe in. It's not that, it really is something to do with where that tweeter is relative to my ears.

Because sitting on the floor means that I'm 1 or 2 feet closer to the speakers, I tried moving the couch and then widening the toe in. It's not that, it really is something to do with where that tweeter is relative to my ears.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Narrowing the listening angle - that is, toeing in the speakers more sharply - should do similar things. That will get you more on tweeter axis, the classic ‘monitor’ setup. Try vocals that are simply recorded and listen for a human being sized voice and singer, not a big splurge of CinemaScope sound.

Floor reflection at lower frequencies occur regardless or floor covering. Higher frequencies will be absorbed by your rug though. If you experiment patiently and note where it gets better or worse, you’ll find a happy compromise Im sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kutusov

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed reply. Narrowing the listening angle - that is, toeing in the speakers more sharply - should do similar things. That will get you more on tweeter axis, the classic ‘monitor’ setup. Try vocals that are simply recorded and listen for a huma—being sized voice and singer, not a big so,urge of CinemaScope sound.

Floor reflection at lower frequencies occur regardless or floor covering. Higher frequencies will be absorbed by your rug though. If you experiment patiently and note where it gets better or worse, you’ll find a happy compromise Im sure.

Thanks for that and sorry for late reply! Never saw the notification for this post.

I'll try that for sure, I'm still playing around with speaker positioning. I got a couple of big cushions and I'm now sitting on the floor against the sofa. The cushions and the shaggy rug makes for a much more confortable position than the reclainer sofa is anyway :flushed:😁

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts