Speakers - next to a wall?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As someone with next to no knowledge of these things, please can anyone advise me on why some speakers should not be placed next to a wall?

Also, how is it possible to identify which type do, or do not, like being next to a wall?

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
this one has lots of factors, but in simple terms speakers with a rear firing bass port need space between wall and speakers, you can also experiment with the bass by moving them closer of further away from the wall. most need about 30cm from the wall otherwise the bass becomes overpowering. it all depends on what speakers you use, some have forward firing bass ports, some have front and rear. your speakers and hi-fi interact with the room so a small room would sound better with stand mount speakers, other factors come in to play furniture, for exmple carpet sounds better than wooden floor, you can buy a selection of 5 star kit and it can sound nasty if in the wrong room. the best thing to do is experiment with you system moving speakers pointing them inwards, changing distance from rear wall and side walls. this can have as much affect as say upgrading your amp or cd player, there is no golden rule but listen and experiment. remember reviewers have rooms set up for hi-fi, us consumers have to make them fit in to our homes and daily life.
hope this helps

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Speakers near side walls usually produce a lot of HF and midrange reflection, making the sound more fatiguing. If this has to be the case, toe the speaker in so that the reflection is minimised. Also, hanging rugs or material either side will also reduce HF reflection. Depending on the density of that material, depends on how much it will reduce certain frequencies.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys

To continue my education can you advise:

1. Speakers with rear bass ports - are these usually visable or is it just stated in the spec?

2. HF - what is this an abbreviation for?

Apologies for my ignorance.

A

Anonymous

It will be stated in the spec and visible (i.e. a hole in the back of the speaker). HF = high frequency.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
bass ports are in spec but visable at the front or rear you will see a port, or hole. the driver pumps air throught port (hole) they can be tuned by using sponge bungs to seal the port is you want to reduce the bass this also allows you to place them closer to a wall if using a rear port. some like my Monitor audio br5 have 2 ports 1 front and 1 rear.

l.f. low frequency
h.f high frequency

refering to bass and treble low and high. and what you get inbetween is the midrange. you will see some speakers have two sets of binding posts 1 set LF the other HF this allows bi-wiring. using 2 runs of speaker cable, allowing separate signals from the amp driving the speaker, this generaly improves sound quality separating the signal the hf and the lf.

hope this helps
and p.s we all start and gradualy learn hi-fi terms. doont be affraid to ask thats what this forum is for, and you will find 99% of audiophiles will be glad to help, we love talking hi-fi and what hi-fi is a great mag and a good source of info. cheers
ROB

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rob

I bought a Rega Saturn and Mira from my local Audio T last week and have some Wharfdale 10.1 speakers.

I don't know too much about the technology but I find the sound quality superb
emotion-1.gif

I was interested in finding out more about speakers as they will probably be my next upgrade - when my bank balance recovers!

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
firs let me say you made a great choice, i also got my kit from audio t. rotel ra05se amp and arcam cd73 player. i have had years of dealing with audio t and they are great, i sadly had a fault with a nad cd player about 5 years ago, long story short, they could have sent it away for repair thats the procedure and maybe a loan until mine was fixed, they went one step better they gave me a brand new one boxed the same day. the kit you got is superb your speakers a good set but they will let down you amp and cd as they are a step up from them and among the best in their class.

when funds and or wife allow, please audition your new speakers before you buy. AUDIO T. will set them up in store with the amp and cd you have or similar so you can get an idear how they will sound at home, the trick it scan what hi-fi for a set of speakers in your budget and will fit your room. for example pick 2 or 3 set of speakers from the 5 star winners and audition them at audio t. please remember a 5 star review does not mean you will like them or that they will gel with your kit listen with your ears and your cd;s then decide
sorry to go on just want to give you the benefit of someone who has made some mistakes in upgrades so here is a few tips
1. audition before you buy.
2. try to match your kit a £500 cd player deserves a £500 amp and speakers to bringout the best
3.make sure you have quality cables . speaker cables a big upgrade along with your interconnect
4. throw away the cables supplied in the box they are to get you started and dont do your kit any justice.
5. ask your dealer for a discount . they expect it due to online sales taking their money. ask for 10% thats a cool £50 on a pair of £500 speakers
6. if funds allow in time upgrade your mains cables andyour power block for very little cash they can make your system sound its best.
hope this dont sound like a lecture, hi-fi can increase your music pleasure so much the right kit dont have to cost thousands a little thought and time can save your money on upgrades later on and years of pleasure.
cheers
ROB

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
another good tip is if you are happy with your system and the sound of your speakers why change. enjoy them for a few years they are quality speakers that you can be sure .

A

Anonymous

Fair point Rob. I have been amazed at the sound these £200 speakers produce - well worthy of their (former) 5 star rating.

I was wondering if I was to spend say £600 on speakers, would they be 3 times better - if you get my meaning - or am I being optimistic?

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Byron - Whilst I really don't want to encourage you to spend more cash, I was wondering how long it would be before you started thinking about upgrading your speakers. I haven't heard the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1s yet, though have no doubt that they're a fantastic little speaker. I still have an old pair of Diamond 9.1s, which I used happily for years. There's a law of diminishing returns in hi fi and as you start moving up the hi-fi chain to higher-end kit, you find that you have to spend disproportionately larger sums of money to get a discernible improvement in sound (i.e., spending three times the cash, won't give you a three fold improvement in sound). It's easy to spend more money to get a different sound, but that new sound will not necessarily be better for you (i.e., it doesn't improve your enjoyment of listening to your music to any substantial degree).

That said, your Wharfdales are simply not in the same league as the rest of your new system and you will undoubtedly see a noticeable improvement (across the board) moving to speakers in the £600 bracket. In fact, your system is good enough to drive speakers above that price point.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
byronmorris:
Fair point Rob. I have been amazed at the sound these £200 speakers produce - well worthy of their (former) 5 star rating.

I was wondering if I was to spend say £600 on speakers, would they be 3 times better - if you get my meaning - or am I being optimistic?

No they won't. What they should bring is a more natural sound, more subtle nuances, more rounded, but certainly not 3 times better. That's impossible.

Tonestar1

JoelSim:byronmorris:

No they won't. What they should bring is a more natural sound, more subtle nuances, more rounded, but certainly not 3 times better. That's impossible.

Agreed. I think that's what we all expected on first upgrade. As you spend more cash you learn to expect less but on the other hand you learn to appreciate the small increments even more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts