Speakers for Cyrus 8

yasirk

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, i'm looking at the following options to pair with my Cyrus 8/Pre/Power and CD8+PSXR system:

1) Dynaudio Excite X32

2) Dynaudio Focus 220

3) ProAc Studio 140

4) Sonus Faber Grand Piano

I auditioned the Dynaudio on a krell system and found them lacking in bass/punch, not sure if it was the setup or just the speaker nature. Can anyone give first-hand impressions on the pairing?

A

Anonymous

Stick the Spendor S5e and A5 on that list too. Both are apparently a good match for Cyrus.

yasirk

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Im based in Dubai, UAE and unfortunately we dont have dealers for Spendor in the region. I'm getting a good deal on the Sonus Faber but am being recommended ProAc heavily by the dealer i bought the cyrus system from. I mostly listen to rock, classic rock, jazz and blues.

A

Anonymous

Proac are very good in my experience, but seem to have a slight treble lift. They're zingy. Now that suits many people and their kit but Cyrus is pretty 'zingy' too. Definitely worth an audition but in the wrong room things might get a little enthusiastic.

A

Anonymous

The Monitor Audio RS's go well with Cyrus, can you try them out there?

A

Anonymous

I love the Focus range with Cyrus. Try them, you'll love them.

The AM RS series are a league below some of the offerings mentioned and to my ears, do not match well with Cyrus at all.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
igglebert:Proac are very good in my experience, but seem to have a slight treble lift. They're zingy. Now that suits many people and their kit but Cyrus is pretty 'zingy' too. Definitely worth an audition but in the wrong room things might get a little enthusiastic.

Really? ProAcs are supposed to have a very balanced treble.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
igglebert:Proac are very good in my experience, but seem to have a slight treble lift. They're zingy. Now that suits many people and their kit but Cyrus is pretty 'zingy' too. Definitely worth an audition but in the wrong room things might get a little enthusiastic.

Really? ProAcs are supposed to have a very balanced treble.

ÿ

All I can say is that Proac make very fine speakers and the treble you get is a function of the source, amp and room. Proacs in my experience have always tipped the balance for me in the treble region. In a different life with a heavily damped or ideal room I suspect they're spot on.

If you want to hear neutral treble, try some Spendor SA or A series, or some Sonus Faber such as Concerto Domus. Sublime, the lot of them.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dont rule out the B&W CM7's either...

My partner has them along side her Cyrus 8v2 integrated, XPower and Cyrus 8CDP and the soundstage is sublime!

A

Anonymous

If you didn't like the Dyns with the Krell, they're not going to be any better with Cyrus!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'd say it was the set-up, dyn's are not usually shy when it comes to bass.

i also agree with igglebert about proac, i've only heard the studio 110 and 130, but i thought both had too much treble. one of the tracks on radioheads in rainbows cd, perfectly illustrated it - the cymbals were way too prominent for my ears.

yasirk

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone tried matching up Cyrus with KEF, JM Labs or JAMO? I'm taking a different direction here but just to add to the discussion?

i'm going tomorrow with my 8-power to the dealer to audition the above mentioned speakers, will post back what i hear.

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I have had two sets of different Proac speakers and loved them both times over. I did not find the treble hard, some used to say that about the MA's and we now know thats not entirely true. I usually end my statement with this line...has Proac ever made a bad speaker?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i didn't think the treble was hard on the studio 110/130, i liked the treble, just thought there was too much of it relative to the bass. or that there wasn't enough bass relative to the treble. or something....
emotion-1.gif
lovely speakers, just not quite to my taste.

A

Anonymous

Mike_Schmidt:I usually end my statement with this line...has Proac ever made a bad speaker?
No, but that's not the point. Like with the MA Gold series, some speakers are be voiced to have zingier treble than others, some people prefer it, some hate it. I'm not talking hardness or harshness but it's a complex function of taste, hearing, room acoustics and partnering kit.

I've yet to hear a Proac speaker that I haven't found too open (one way of putting it). I've very much liked what I've heard but know that it'll all go wrong when I use them in my lounge. That's how I ended up with the SA1s over the Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs.

Cyrus' low to mid kit isn't known for it's neutrality and tender tones either.

yasirk

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
So, i spent an hour and then some at the dealer, listening to the Focus 220 and the Sonus Faber, with the 8 Power. The sonus faber had a distinct sound stage, vocals were crisp and present and the bass though bloomed a little, was well controlled. The DynAudios sounded clinical, with perhaps more punch in the base but a smaller soundstage. Right now, the sonus are winning the battle, saturday i go for the ProAc 140's again. :)

A

Anonymous

If possible listen to the Dali Ikon range, both the 5 and 6 had a good synergy with the Cyrus gear when I was doing my demo's, better balanced than, say, the equivalent MA's to my ears . . .

yasirk

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Well, to wrap up this thread--thank you all for the help and advice, i finally got myself the Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus. They sound absolutely fantastic to me, the imaging is so well controlled and the 8Power/Vs2 setup has no problems driving these babies. they also look stunning in the room. I got a really good deal on the speakers ~$2K which is about 50% off the list price. highly recommend this setup to anyone looking for a cyrus system.

TRENDING THREADS