Speakers for MF M6i amplifier

Dev

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Hifi Gurus,

Looking for suitable standmounts for my recently purchase MF m6i amplifier (got a good deal from my dealer). Iam currently using the same with my old KEF Q300 and MF M1dac, Apple tv set up & Marantz CD player. I am loving the sound of MF and I believe it deserves a better speakers. After reading the review, I have shortlisted the following.

1. Proac Tabelette Anniversary / Proac response D2

2. ATC SCM 11/ 7

3. Focal electra 1008be (out of my buget. bur still need suggestions)

4. Elac Bs 403

5. Spendor SA1

6. Harbeth p3esr

7. Dali Rubicon 2

8. Dynaudio Excite X16

9. Sonus faber venere 2.0

My listening room is 3m x 4m app. I listen mostly to Solo female artist , rock, pop, country genre. Iam not keen on bass as long it is tight and punchy. I look for a speaker that can handle the laid back sound signature of MF, One of the reviewers is recommending to use it with more forward sounding speakers.

Appreciate if you guys can help in this regard.

Thanks

CnoEvil said:
I'd go with Kef LS50s, so they might be worth adding to your list

Always my opinion is that you should only shortlist speakers you can actually audition, difficult I know these days but ultimately saves disappointed.

You need speakers that will suit you room rather than your amp specifically.

But having said that I would think sonus faber, atc scm11, or the LS50's might be worth further investigation.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Not heard with your amp, but the Sonus or LS50 go well with my Arcam A49.

Not sure on the room size but mine is 6m x 6m and the LS50 can more than fill this space.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Possibly a predictable suggestion from me but I think you should also take s look at NVA speakers. A pair of NVA cubes should give you deep tight bass but not be boomy. No idea how they will sound with your amp but I echo the previous comment about getting speakers that work with your room.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'd go with Kef LS50s, so they might be worth adding to your list

I would 2nd that recommendation, having heard those KEFs. If you have any taste to try something slightly more left-field then Quadral's Chromium Style 2s are worth a listen - if you can find any, that is. If you are going for stand mounted speakers of this calibre, don't forget to budget for decent stands!

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The ATCs work very well in rooms prone to bass boom. They play tight bass that can be heard and followed but not always felt. Also good if you need them closer to a wall rather than out into the room. Having said that, always best to hear them first if possible.

Dev

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Cno Evil

How far better this KEF LS 50s are when Iam updrading from KEF Q300. I am little concerened with the brittle sound of KEF Q300 though on rare occassions (IMO). Whether this issue has been eliminated in LS 50?

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Cno is a big fan of KEF with MF amps and I respect his opinion. Iceman from the forum has Focal with his MF amp, but more expensive models and is very happy with the sound and I love the Harbeth sound so will always urge at least a demo if you can.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

My room is around the same size as your own,The pmc twenty 21's are perfect for it providing you plan to site them close to a wall,they are a bit lean in free space but 10-20cm's from the wall and they are transformed into one of the finest standmount speakers for the money.Audition first obviously.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I used to have the Musical Fidelity M1 series (M1 SDAC and 2x M1 PWR) with Kef LS50 and it worked pretty well. I also have owned the Q500 beforehand and can put you at ease that the LS50 have a very different presentation to the Q500s.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dev said:
Cno Evil

How far better this KEF LS 50s are when Iam updrading from KEF Q300. I am little concerened with the brittle sound of KEF Q300 though on rare occassions (IMO). Whether this issue has been eliminated in LS 50?

"Better" can be subjective...but IMO The LS50s can compete with Standmounts at 2.5 times their price. There are elements of their performance that is "better" than the R Series. They are incisive and revealing, which can mean that if there is a weakness in your system, it might be shown up....but they should not sound brittle.

The other brand of a similar quality would be ATC, but I am not so familiar with them.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Dev said:
Cno Evil

How far better this KEF LS 50s are when Iam updrading from KEF Q300. I am little concerened with the brittle sound of KEF Q300 though on rare occassions (IMO). Whether this issue has been eliminated in LS 50?

"Better" can be subjective...but IMO The LS50s can compete with Standmounts at 2.5 times their price. There are elements of their performance that is "better" than the R Series. They are incisive and revealing, which can mean that if there is a weakness in your system, it might be shown up....but they should not sound brittle.

The other brand of a similar quality would be ATC, but I am not so familiar with them.

I have owned the LS50's, saying that they compete with standmounts at 2.5 times the price is really pushing it imho. I swapped mine out for a pair of used B&W 805's, the B&W's are in a different league in every area. Of course this all subjective, however the KEF's are a small speaker and have limitations because of this, they also have an artificial bass hump which really becomes apparent when replaced with a larger speaker. There has been a lot of hype about these speakers and although they are good, they will not suit all tastes, especially if you like to rock.

Just my tuppence worth.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
SonofSun said:
I have owned the LS50's, saying that they compete with standmounts at 2.5 times the price is really pushing it imho. I swapped mine out for a pair of used B&W 805's, the B&W's are in a different league in every area. Of course this all subjective, however the KEF's are a small speaker and have limitations because of this, they also have an artificial bass hump which really becomes apparent when replaced with a larger speaker.  There has been a lot of hype about  these speakers and although they are good, they will not suit all tastes, especially if you like to rock.

Just my tuppence worth.
As with all hifi, we can only speak from our own preferences.

I have my LS50s in the same room as some Ref 205/2s, which gives me a great benchmark with which to judge them by.....If I had £2k to spend again, I would probably still get them, though I would like to listen to some ATCs.

iceman16

We have different "likes" on what we hear. As others may say A is a bit dull and lack of presence, then B too bright and analytical, We have different preferences. Listen to as much speakers (if posible) within your own room and seating position as this is "quite critical".. I have owned the LS50s for over 1.5 yrs and Ilike them BUT when I moved to them to a diff. place, its a diff. story! IMO the LS 50s like an open wide surroundings without any need of bass traps, acoustic panels etc. . but unfortunately Ive used them in a bedroom full of furnitures etc. . So in conclusion. it really depends IMO where and what components are you used them to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts