Speaker Grills 0N or OFF ?

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi, wondering what benefit; if any ? Removing the grill covers on speakers. I have a pair of used B&W PM1 speakers but have always left the bass and tweeter grills on (mainly due to scratches on speaker)

Recently watched What-Hifi review of the PM1's on YouTube where it was recommended removing the grills for improved performance! I understand it's not going to make a standout obvious change to sound - but what does (?) actually improves ?

Room is 4m by 5m, speakers sit on the Stand Base of PM1 stands but not on the stands. Approx 1 foot of floor.

Cyrus DAC XP+, Mono 200, CD XTSE2

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I usually prefer them off and can hear the difference. Now one set of my speakers has no grills at all and the other has metal grills that can't be removed. Problem solved.

Some speakers are designed with the grille being an integral part and here they normally recommend leaving them on. With most of mine I found it hardly made any difference at all so left them on. My current speakers do not have a grille over the tweeter anyway so I don't have a choice.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If you have dome tweeters, the grills should be on. Everytime you clean dust off the drivers you gamble a new pair of tweeters and a lot of frustration. Keeping the grills on reduces the frequent need to clean dust off the drivers. Of course some homes have almost no dust but many have to deal with it.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Those who wear spectacles will know that point at the opticians when they are closing in on your new prescription - asking you to decide whether it's better 'with or without?' 'with or without?' - sometimes you cant tell the difference but you just feel one is better than the other. For me it's without grills. Usually only late at night when I'm on my own and it feels more intimate with the bare speakers *blush*

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just spent the last 3hrs checking - I didn't notice any difference on the PM1's, though I just speant taking them on and off while listening ! Just now womdering why What-Hif recommended them off on there YouTube review ?

Check at 1min 15sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S95d0xwAju0

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
I tend to prefer grills off generally - I usually find it opens the sound slightly, the grills acting as a muffler to some extent - and i find this the case for all the B&W's I've heard. I actually had a long test with PM1's recently (I was contemplating buying a pair) and found that for me, removing the main baffle gave a minor improvement in the openness/clearness of presentation. However removing the tweeter's cover was not beneficial - i.e. no change, if anything removing the small tweeter caps made them slightly harsher, so would leave those on.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
On to keep 'er indoors happy.

Off when she goes shopping and you can crank up the stereo the way you like.

Speakers with those little rare earth magnets to keep the grilles in place get my vote over those with plastic prongs that will break off sooner or later always get my vote.

philandsue

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
If you have anything over than ceramic or metallic cones, I'd be worried about the effects of uv changing the characteristics of the speaker markedly. So I keep my grills on.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I think its already been said but aren't speakers designed with the covers on?
Removed they will likely alter the sound.
I've tried on and off with various speakers I've owned.
Mainly for aesthetics but also a slight change in clarity/upper frequencies.
Very subtle, probably not worth worrying about, and maybe even adversely altering sound.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Tried them OFF! Tried them ON!! Being doing this since my last post and have to say I didn't really notice any difference on the B&W PM1s.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i normal take mine off but kept them on my new speakers as i do not want my little one touching the cones or tweeters so for me safety first but i do not hear anything diffreant about them off i think it deppends on what speaker your useing

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts