Replacement speaker stand cushioning

docpro

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
Had a bit of a nightmare in a house move

Have B&W PM1 stands - they have cushioning / thin carpet like substance on the top and bottom of them to cushion between the speakers and stand base etc

Unfortunately they got wet

result summary - they didnt react well - turned into candy floss type mess

Had to scrape the cushioning stuff off back to the bare wood of the speaker stand as attached

Assuming B&W wont be able to supply me with replacements as speakers circa 10 years old and discontinued?

Any recommendations what I should do?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5403.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 28

docpro

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
You could use isolation pads. Amazon.uk has quite a few available. The picture makes it look fairly thick, but other pictures of B&W PM1s seem as if pads would work.

Ones like these you mean?

Thanks didnt know they existed

Theyre for between the speaker and the top of speaker stand though right?

This isnt my issue here. The carpet type stuff was top and bottom of the stand columns - eg as attached

Assuming theyve done that to give extra cushioning for better sound and to stop nasty wear damage where the stand base and speaker stand platform? - dont know the proper word for it! - touch the stand column

ill contact B&W and see what they say

Attachments

• bw.jpg
    bw.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 18

Fandango Andy

Have B&W PM1 stands - they have cushioning / thin carpet like substance on the top and bottom of them to cushion between the speakers and stand base etc

Had to scrape the cushioning stuff off back to the bare wood of the speaker stand as attached

Assuming B&W wont be able to supply me with replacements as speakers circa 10 years old and discontinued?

Thanks

You keep using the term "carpet like" how much like carpet was it? Could you cut a carpet tile down to size?

I was wondering if that substance was actually fitted from new.
Have you had the stands from new?
Most stands would have spikes fitted underneath not carpet and I was of the understanding that the speakers were meant to be bolted to the top plate

docpro

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
I was wondering if that substance was actually fitted from new.
Have you had the stands from new?
Most stands would have spikes fitted underneath not carpet and I was of the understanding that the speakers were meant to be bolted to the top plate
Yes since new. Dug a bit of it out of the bin - see attached

Its more of a velvety/cloth type of shizzle not carpet. Dunno why I said carpet :)

@ fandango - ha yea no was just in the DIY shop. Cloth tape maybe? Never used it before.

Actually maybe something like this would do just as well

Attachments

• IMG_5405.jpg
    IMG_5405.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Messiah
Ah, so it’s some felt where the stands are bolted together? Like others, I thought you meant between the top plate and the speaker itself.

It must be there to stop rattling or absorb any slight gaps from manufacturing then? In that case any old cloth/felt you can cut around should do. But see what B&W can offer.

Reactions: Al ears and Messiah

docpro

Jan 30, 2024
Visit site
So these pads are sandwiched between the top and the foot. Have holes in them for fixing to pass through?
yes felt top and bottom of the speaker stand columns - with holes for the screws to go through - its only 1mm thick stuff. but obviously B&W have cut the felt perfectly and glued it on and pressed it down

any solution i bodge together now will never be as good sadly

didnt realise it was there and the wet floor they were resting on has ruined the felt so scraped it off with a wide flat head screwdriver.

havent had time to contact B&W yet - will let you know what they say

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

Thanks
If the holes on the bottom are threaded you could stand them on pan head bolt heads after screwing them in. I bought mine from eBay. Or spikes of course.
Personally....I didn't use spikes because I didn't want to put holes in the thin carpet on which my stands are situated....

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site

Thanks
Just get some black neoprene sheeting from here cut it to size with a Stanley blade and use double sided tape to affix

Fandango Andy

Thanks
Did you sort this in the end? I was in B&Q today and spotted this (see image) and remembered this post.

Attachments

• 20240306_164919.jpg
    20240306_164919.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts