My HiFi Disaster.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Problem with DPD is that they take on relief drivers when they get busy, and they have less regular drivers than someone like UPS (in my area anyway). DPD are the best in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter as it's always the same driver - it the only one I know to talk to.

jjbomber

I've used BT and Sky for many years and wouldn't rate them that low. Had some issues over the years of course, but usually sorted out.
I wanted to put the BBC on there at 1.2, but that was only 9,000 reviews!
The general point is that large companies will always have a large amount of complainers, all of whom are very loud. People struggle to give praise in the UK.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
The general point is that large companies will always have a large amount of complainers, all of whom are very loud. People struggle to give praise in the UK.
I'm not sure it points to that.
Im more certain it's because in general companies are that bad here most of which are foreign owned and any help is handled offshore .

With point of keeping things hifi richer sounds and Hifi sound have always had very good reviews both of which are handled here.

Anything to do with foreign call centers, if I here a foreign voice in English when ringing the feeling of absolute dread ensues.
I've never had in 40yrs a good experience with them, especially mobile phone networks.

Only recently I had to change networks from Asda mobile who were an English served call team in which was my reason for paying a little more.
They were a pleasure to deal with and solved two issues I had immediately.

Communication was easy and a joy even though Asda mobile is piggy backing off vodaphone the worst network around an English call center solved the problems especially the shocking customer service that's won worst rated in 8 consecutive years.

A few months ago Asda was taken over from Walmart and instantly the English call centers axed.
Experiencing network problems I rang customer service expecting the usual quick remedy but was met with an Indian vodaphone call center.
I won't go into things it was a frustrating and annoying experience.
They went from blaming weather to the usual blaming of my device.
Even when told I'd tried 2 other handsets with the same problem.

I managed to get compensation via sending screen shots of the network speed and immediately changed network.

Most companies now don't have any customer service not really, just a hired foreign brick wall one comes up against when needing help.

I found out recently that some of these Indian call centers serve not just one company but multiple totally unconnected ones at the same time.
One minute they are vodaphones customer service dept the next call British airways.

Their job it seems is to get rid of you.

Most reviews are likely from individuals who have had one single issue and gone straight to a review site to vent. I could've done that a couple of times, and when it happens it's infuriating because you're used to things running so smooth you don't think about it, but considering I've had fuss free service from them for decades, it's a drop in the ocean, as they say.

Reactions: DougK1

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Not surprise by the Virgin Media complaints. They do a sweet deal with new broadband customers but existing customers pay more, probably helping to sponsor their sweet deals! I wouldn't touch ADSL but we are starting to see from other suppliers true fibre broadband, so I might look else where in the near future.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Problem with DPD is that they take on relief drivers when they get busy, and they have less regular drivers than someone like UPS (in my area anyway). DPD are the best in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter as it's always the same driver - it the only one I know to talk to.
DPD and UPS in Redditch are good as well, I get a lot of spare parts sent to my home from work they'll often come back several times or on the weekend.

Oxfordian

Bought a collectable box set of LP's on line, Hermes (now Evri) didn't deliver, never had any notice that the parcel was out for delivery, just silence.

Contacted the on-line seller who asked me to wait a few more days just in case, which I did, still no goods delivered so the nice gentlemen in customer service sent me another set which arrived 48 hours later.

Approximately 6 months later I arrived home to find a battered box outside my front door, inside was the original set of LP's.

No note, no message, no nothing, just the parcel.

The packaging was completely intact, hadn't been opened, the dirt on the parcel clearly showed that it had been kicking around the warehouse for months until someone decided to actually do anything with it.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Bought a collectable box set of LP's on line, Hermes (now Evri) didn't deliver, never had any notice that the parcel was out for delivery, just silence.

Contacted the on-line seller who asked me to wait a few more days just in case, which I did, still no goods delivered so the nice gentlemen in customer service sent me another set which arrived 48 hours later.

Approximately 6 months later I arrived home to find a battered box outside my front door, inside was the original set of LP's.

No note, no message, no nothing, just the parcel.

The packaging was completely intact, hadn't been opened, the dirt on the parcel clearly showed that it had been kicking around the warehouse for months until someone decided to actually do anything with it.
Unfortunately you can't repair broken LPs. Evri I have learnt my lesson.
Dali Zensor 1 was the bad penny that refused to die. Very glad I managed to repair.
Now they're sitting pretty with the SMSL A300. My new Diner-Fi set up.
Shame the Audioengine A1 active speakers have to go.
IMG_20240127_144413.jpgIMG_20240127_144324.jpg

Reactions: Dom

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately you can't repair broken LPs. Evri I have learnt my lesson.
Dali Zensor 1 was the bad penny that refused to die. Very glad I managed to repair.
Now they're sitting pretty with the SMSL A300. My new Diner-Fi set up.
Shame the Audioengine A1 active speakers have to go.
View attachment 6014View attachment 6015
What are the Audioengine speakers like to listen to.
As per my prior post on another thread I'm still looking whilst my father finishes his tiny room.
I've never measured it but we're talking tiny...... in anybody's mind.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
What are the Audioengine speakers like to listen to.
As per my prior post on another thread I'm still looking whilst my father finishes his tiny room.
I've never measured it but we're talking tiny...... in anybody's mind.
A1s are absolutely tiny, there are larger models A2 and A3.
Sonically they're like Dr Who's Tardis, the sound is very large, clean and highly detailed, it defies logic.
The quality of the Bluetooth is better than SMSL A300s.
The A1s are the active speaker equivalent to Fosi V3s, how could something so small, sound so amazing!
Your dad will absolutely love them. Here's some photos.

IMG_20240127_200535.jpgIMG_20240121_131339.jpgIMG_20240121_131054.jpgIMG_20240121_131003.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dom

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
A1s are absolutely tiny, there are larger models A2 and A3.
Sonically they're like Dr Who's Tardis, the sound is very large, clean and highly detailed, it defies logic.
The quality of the Bluetooth is better than SMSL A300s.
The A1s are the active speaker equivalent to Fosi V3s, how could something so small, sound so amazing!
Your dad will absolutely love them. Here's some photos.

View attachment 6017View attachment 6018View attachment 6019View attachment 6020
Thanks again 👍

It's exactly what I'm looking for, to emulate a the big sound of a full size hifi with a small set-up.

My father donated his 1993 award winning hifi to me despite already having one as it has many memories attached.

My mother simply won't have it in her new livingroom stating the floorstanders are ugly and a clean sweep of the budget award winners of the day including the multi coveted pioneer 400 too big.

All he's been given out of the huge dorma bungalow is a tiny hidden room 😂 to play around with.
I've bought him some nice headphones the very good Austrian audio hix15 which I found better than my 360 £ pair of Bose but it's only right I get him something he can hear without having to wear the speakers.

There's so many choices, I've looked into both active speakers and small mainly class D amps.
I think it's going to be best getting actives in which will give him the instant connectivity of Bluetooth and inbuilt amplification without the need of any separate anciliries.

I've whittled it down to the edifers and these so far as he gets closer to completion of his indeed own tardis sized room.

It would of been nice to reacquaint him with a record player but my mam gave his huge collection to the charity shop to his horror as there was many many both collectable and valuable records within.
Personally I'd of gone to the charity shop and took them back after leaving a donation.
It gets brought up as a joke now but I see his pain when it's mentioned 😂

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
It's really admirable you're doing this for your dad. My daughter would probably tell me, dad do you need all this stuff? Females are from Venus 🤣
Also consider Presonus, Kanto, Flaunce.
Edifiers tend to cater for low end PC desktop or laptop, not as good I think as the above mentioned.
If you have the space, consider also Fostex mini SW. These are ideal for small spaces and these have auto standby.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14557781...NTnGB1cS7-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=MORE
Amazon is a good place to shop for all of the above, not unless you find cheaper elsewhere 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuart83

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Your speaker cone is a little like finger prints. I notice from an old photo, one of the Dali Speakers had a tiny line mark on the woofer.
The returned speakers from buyer, one that was damaged did not have that marked line. So yes it does appear I was the victim of a scam.
I would suggest, always when you sell something on eBay you take photo of the serial number.

TRENDING THREADS