Speaker cables

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Can somebody advise would i benefit from upgrading my speaker cables from my current flat approx 1.5mm cable to something like the Chord Company Carnival SilverScreen speaker cable. I also have read a thread from the What hi fi editor that bi-wire the front speakers and centre speaker (not the rear) makes a big difference, then in another thread i heard that you have to be a expert to hear the benefits of bi-wiring. Can someone please clarify.

System. Samsung 46hdtv, sony bd350, sony da2400es amp and Q Acoustics 1010i speakers and sky hd.

Thanks

Messiah

As far as Bi-wiring is concerned, I think it is better to spend the money on better single-wire cable rather then lesser cable in a bi-wire configuration.

Maybe once you have decided upon the cable you want then a future upgrade may be to bi-wire.

A

Anonymous

I you are planning to change to the chord's you will notice a big difference, even not being an expert, as i did notice, but note that Carnivals are 8mm thich in all so will look vey chunky compared to your current cable. I also would recommend to have a decen single wire, but then there is the ready bi-wire cable wihich then is about 10mm thick.

A

Anonymous

Changing the cable on the fronts and centre to the chord, would give a nice improvement in sound. I wouldnt go with the bi-wire idea unless you intend to upgrade your speakers, as the cable would be worth more than them otherwise.

Stick with the single runs of chord, and you will like it. Cut small lengths off and make your own jumpers between the hf and lf bindings. nearly the same as biwiring, but much cheaper for you.

A

Anonymous

"Cut small lengths off and make your own jumpers between the hf and lf bindings. nearly the same as biwiring"

Oh really ?

And maybe I missed something but are Q Acoustics 1010i bi-wireable anyway ? Review on this august website appears to suggest not.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. Fell like a idiot now as i checked my speakers for bi-wiring and as you rightly pointed out they are not able to be bi-wired. Have ordered some Chord cable(teminated) for front and center speakers. Rear speaker cable will have to wait till next pay day.

Thanks again.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I personally wouldn't waste money on exotic cable for rears unless you're using multi-channel music. The rears only carry effects, so I would look for a good quality, discrete cable e.g. Van Damme HiFi 2.5mm or the Blue studio stuff. PMC and a host of the studios in the recording industry can't be wrong, can they?

A

Anonymous

Interesting, never heard of that cable before. Would that be a better up grade to the standard cable i am using. Any thoughts on QED Micro cable? Sorry to sound inexperience in this matter, I am new to this Hi Fi stuff at wanting to get a good sound out of it all.

A

Anonymous

Can personally recommend the 'van damme blue series' as i got some for me dad'd system. Great value sounding stuff, quality thick copper too.

TRENDING THREADS