A thorny issue. (Speaker Cables)

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Could anyone tell me please. What is the expected lifespan of speaker cables.
The cables I'm using are Silver Anniversary purchased in 2007 with my first 'proper' Hi-Fi.
These are Bi-Wire, 12 guage pure silver, oxygen free as far a I know.
Is there a time frame, within which they should be changed. Recently, I stripped back some new inner and attached good quality banana plugs. The newly stripped silver was completely free of oxidation, looked as good as new.
I have no desire to change them. However I would like to know if they should be changed at some point.

podknocker

My TQ Ultra Blue cables are lovely and have a 7 year warranty. I'm not sure how they could fail after 7 years.

The bloke who runs the company emailed me when they were back in stock and again to confirm my warranty registration.

They were very expensive, but they can be tucked away nicely.

They get unplugged and cleaned every few months, with the rest of my kit and they work perfectly.

These cables will last a lot longer than I will and I'm sure some charity shop in 50 years will sell them on to someone else who appreciates the build quality.

I do prefer factory terminated cables. I just think it's a better quality plug.

I have bought cable and fitted banana plugs, but the screws and things are so small and fiddly and they always seem to come loose.

It must be the banana plug fairy messing around with them, but I would never fit my own plugs now.

Last edited:

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
The cables I'm using are Silver Anniversary purchased in 2007 with my first 'proper' Hi-Fi.
Is there a time frame, within which they should be changed. Recently, I stripped back some new inner and attached good quality banana plugs. The newly stripped silver was completely free of oxidation, looked as good as new.
I have no desire to change them. However I would like to know if they should be changed at some point.
Simply Enjoy.

Reactions: JDL

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
As long as the wire isn’t kinked or oxidised you’ll be fine.

Reactions: JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I'd simply ask how often do you feel the need to re-wire your house?
I haven't changed my speaker cables in 15 years and apart from cleaning the banana plugs they should be good for years to come.
Good point Sir. I don't think our house has been rewired (or decorated) for at least 50 years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts