Speaker cable to tame cyrus and B&W kit?

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,
Further to my other post in the Hifi section, can anyone recommend a nice full bodied, warm speaker cable for my cyrus pre-vs2/xpower/b&w CM1 combo. At times the treble can be a bit (how shall I say) over enthusiastic and a little fatiguing. I am currently using Gale symphony 400 (copper).
Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Hi Matt76,

Don't think there's a speaker cable made that can alter the nature of the sound to the extent you want, from what you say in this and your previous post.

Your Cyrus gear is on trial isn't it? You might be better off returning it and going for something like Musical Fidelity amplifiers or the Unico.

A

Anonymous

Pleased to hear it! Maybe it's just a matter of adjusting to the sound. I was initially disappointed with the battered Sonus Faber Minimas I got off ebay just a week ago. They sounded flat and boring after the lively little Epos ELS3s I had - but, after two days, the sound was so good I realised I was probably never going to own better speakers.

A

Anonymous

I've heard talk of Kimber 8TC being used with Cyrus kit to great success where others like Chord Odyssey have been a bit bright. Thing is, you're already using a copper cable so I'm not sure whether the 8TC might just reveal more detail and seem even brighter!

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeah its funny isn't it? My old NAD and B&W combo I think must have been a bit lifeless and laid back which is the polar opposite of my new Cyrus setup and therefore initially I thought was too in-yer-face because I was expecting the NAD sound. I've just listened to Madonna Ray of light (great album) and it sounded fabulous!

A

Anonymous

glad you're warming to the Cyrus sound, no pun intended. I recently switch to Townshend Isolda speaker cable and could not beleive the difference compared with my Chord Rumour. The Isolda isn't cheap but it really lets my Cyrus kit sing, mids & highs just sound so smooth and sweet but very detailed.

A

Anonymous

"...a nice full bodied, warm speaker cable..."

ROTFL!!!!

Seriously - you give cables, and especially speaker cables far too much credit for influencing the overall sound of your system. It will always have an influence but unless the cable has rediculously high resistance/inductance/capacitance, the influence is well beyond the limits of human perception.

Don't waste money on cable voodoo - look elsewhere in the signal chance for change.

Mr K.

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure about all this letting more detail through business. Speaker cable differ on their resistance which will restrict the lower frequencies getting through, the more they are restricted the more detailed but bright the cable sounds. If you want an open able go Chords, VDH or Kimbers way.

A

Anonymous

ROTFL = Rolling On The Floor Laughing. Well at least "mr K" enjoyed your post mate!

Matt

A

Anonymous

Do the math on that one and you'll find out that it takes ridiculously long and thin cables for this to have any measurable effect, let alone humanly perceivable.

You hear what you want to hear - spend £££ on cables and you'll want to hear an improvement. But if that makes you happy - be my guest. It all helps keeping people employed and put food on the table.

Mr K.

A

Anonymous

Mr K:
Do the math on that one and you'll find out that it takes ridiculously long and thin cables for this to have any measurable effect, let alone humanly perceivable.

You hear what you want to hear - spend £££ on cables and you'll want to hear an improvement. But if that makes you happy - be my guest. It all helps keeping people employed and put food on the table.

Mr K.

In my experience even moderately thick speaker cables can be improved upon sound wise. I've tried all sorts, telephone, 79 strand, solid core mains etcThe impedances involved are typically very low so they should be as substantial as possible. One way of doing this is to connect multiple runs of thinner cables together untill you get to the point where it becomes impossible to put more in.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Mr K:
"...a nice full bodied, warm speaker cable..."

ROTFL!!!!

Seriously - you give cables, and especially speaker cables far too much credit for influencing the overall sound of your system. It will always have an influence but unless the cable has rediculously high resistance/inductance/capacitance, the influence is well beyond the limits of human perception.

Don't waste money on cable voodoo - look elsewhere in the signal chance for change.

Mr K.

Oh I see - "Text speak" - like what school-girls use?!

JK M8
L8R!

(LSHMBH)

A

Anonymous

ROTFL and other acronyms originates from USENET and is in widespread use on the web. It may well be used by little girl texting each other too - I take your word for it
emotion-2.gif

Mr K.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I know just kidding I was just being feciscious...I only wanted to use LSHMBH because it made me chuckle (Laugh So Hard My Belly Hurts)!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts