Neutral sounding speaker cable

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I look for advice on a neutral sounding speaker cable for a Naim/PMC combo -- a speaker cable that doesn't push the treble "over the cliff". Or shall I actually look for a "warm" speaker cable for a slightly sweeter treble? We mainly listen to classical music, including opera -- and some arias can push the treble pretty hard (e.g. the Queen of the Night in Mozart's Magic Flute).

Cheers!!

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
54409593.jpg

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Sorry that you have been trapped by the internet bulls_it. I hope you will find some "believers" that will lie to you for making you spend a lot of money on something wrong. They will be judged by Jesus for their sins after their death anyway.

My advice : run away from anybody hearing...
52794947.jpg
.. cable.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
If you have a local friendly HiFi shop, ask if they'll lend you a few different ones. In my experience, cables do make a difference. Atlas Hyper 3 might do the trick for you.

Obviously there are those that will tell you that cables make no difference.

Let your own ears decide.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
You can have a look at the american journal of audiology for understanding that "what you are hearing" is influenced by multiple factors that only few forumers have ever tryed to understand (and a lots of them have left the forum since, because of the repeated insults of the other forum members). The majority of WHF reviewers and forum members don't even know what they are talking about. If "I hear something" is the basic point of your proofs, then we could agree on racial differences between black and white, superiority of mens when compared to womens, that god created humans and goats from the scratch, the world is flat, ect...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Timo said:
I look for advice on a neutral sounding speaker cable for a Naim/PMC combo -- a speaker cable that doesn't push the treble "over the cliff". Or shall I actually look for a "warm" speaker cable for a slightly sweeter treble? We mainly listen to classical music, including opera -- and some arias can push the treble pretty hard (e.g. the Queen of the Night in Mozart's Magic Flute).

Cheers!!

Yes. I can recommend to you a really nice detailed cable - Atlas Hyper 2.0 or 3.0.

gasolin

Not audioquest flx slip 14/4 it can have a slightly sibelant top that sometimes like attention

Supra ply 3.4 has a better top not as open,clear in the midrange, a bit dull sounding compared to audioquest

Wireworld luna 7 soft midrange not as open sounding as the flx slip 14/4, i have nothing negative to say about the bass and treble,it's just good

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site

gasolin

Native_bon said:
TrevC said:
Thick wire is best whatever make it is. 4mm multistranded is available cheaply, or you can go for 6mm to make sure of the best possible connection.

Something like this.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-x-6mm-Professional-Grade-Low-Resistance-HiFi-Loud-Speaker-Cable-Wire-Sound-/252473394502?hash=item3ac8964546:g:k4sAAOSwOdpX1vZ3
Tried those in my system, sounds horrible. They mask musicality & detail. Yes I know what answer comes next, but hey.

Buy those cable form well respected companies who make the cable themself like chord,wireworld,Qed........

TrevC

Native_bon said:
TrevC said:
Thick wire is best whatever make it is. 4mm multistranded is available cheaply, or you can go for 6mm to make sure of the best possible connection.

Something like this.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-x-6mm-Professional-Grade-Low-Resistance-HiFi-Loud-Speaker-Cable-Wire-Sound-/252473394502?hash=item3ac8964546:g:k4sAAOSwOdpX1vZ3
Tried those in my system, sounds horrible. They mask musicality & detail. Yes I know what answer comes next, but hey.

pinocchio-clip-art-clipart-panda-free-clipart-images-mw317f-clipart.jpg

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:

Please don't take this the wrong way. It isn't intended to sound rude or confrontational. :)

But why don't the people who clearly think they can hear a difference between cables claim the $1,000,000 prize from James Randi? *unknw*

If I thought could hear differences I'd be on that straight away.

TrevC

steve_1979 said:
Native_bon said:

Please don't take this the wrong way. It isn't intended to sound rude or confrontational. :)

But why don't the people who clearly think they can hear a difference between cables claim the $1,000,000 prize from James Randi? *unknw*

If I thought could hear differences I'd be on that straight away.

He's not alone. So far not a single audiophile has passed a blind test of anything, including amplifiers.

abacus

Another thread that just shows the gullibility of many of the posters. (Although pro users (And users that live in the real world) use a rather stronger name)

I just can’t understand why there is such a high percentage of gullible users in Hi Fi (Particularly WHF readers) compared to the rest of the stuff out there.

Ah well!!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
abacus said:
Another thread that just shows the gullibility of many of the posters. (Although pro users (And users that live in the real world) use a rather stronger name)

I just can’t understand why there is such a high percentage of gullible users in Hi Fi (Particularly WHF readers) compared to the rest of the stuff out there.

Ah well!!
I'm glad am gulible.. *music2*

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Can't say for definite if cables make a difference to sound,. I don't believe 2 well made speaker cables would sound different if the wire is say ofc like a lot of it often is.

I can say that I'm glad I don't feel the need to spend more than a few euros a meter because I wouldn't hear the difference.

S

SemiChronic

Interesting! Ive tried quite a few cables, and have settled on these for neutrality,

http://hifipig.com/audiomica-erys-excellence-interconnect-and-celes-excellence-loudspeaker-cables/

Even if you arent bothered about cables, the reviewer has a lively writing style, and his articles are a pleasure to read usually.

Personally i believe the celes may be constucted from unicorn foreskin.

If youre system is capable, and youre mental enough with deep pockets, these might just be the cables for you.

Oh theres also the WBT Connector snobbery to enjoy . . :)

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
muljao said:
Can't say for definite if cables make a difference to sound,. I don't believe 2 well made speaker cables would sound different if the wire is say ofc like a lot of it often is.

I can say that I'm glad I don't feel the need to spend more than a few euros a meter because I wouldn't hear the difference.
The way i see it, if a cable degrades the sound in any way or form then it would sound different. No cable is suppose to sound different all things being equal. I believe a cable sounds better when it causes less hindrance to the sound. I always thought cables never made any difference still I tried Q Titannium black cable. Other cables may also cause less distortion, but the QT black causes little to no distortion in my system, as a result sounds exceptionally musical to anything I have tried in the pass.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Electro said:
My advice is to buy speaker cables from a company that gives the full technical secification of the type of cable wanted.

http://www.van-damme.com/25.html

On the misguided presumption that cables are capable of sounding neutral, warm or sweet, how do technical specs help to inform our choice of cable please?

They don't but at least you know the cable will be the right spec for the job.

How do you test if a cable is neutral, warm or sweet ?

The only way I can think of is a blind cable taste test *biggrin* .

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Timo said:

Cheers!!

I would recommend VDH, especially their CS122 Hybrid. Not expensive but good.

abacus

Cables don’t carry sound in any form whatsoever, they merely allow electrical energy to pass through them from 1 item to another. (Of cause if you get a cheap cable, put a posh name on it, explain its advantages in changing the sound using gobbledegook, then charge a fortune for it, there are plenty of gullible Hi-Fi Nuts out there who are daft enough to buy it)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts