Any opinions on Cyrus and B&W

randomfeaturezero

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I am looking at buying new speakers for my Cyrus 6XPD amp. I don't have the chance to audition them.(1 is only available occasionally second hand). I have narrowed it down to the B&W 685 S2 or hopelessly searching for B&W CM1s, not wanting to shell out for the S2 version of these. Basically I have done a lot of reading on old what hifi posts. People are saying both are good speakers for the amp overall. The 685 S2s are a bit brighter, some say too bright, and the CM1s are less bright, but others say there is not enough treble. Has anyone got experience with similar Cyrus amplification and which speaker of the two they prefer? The whole point is to replace my Dynaudio Excite 12 due to cosmetic damage. I have the 685S2s in mind because the CM1s are hard to find, and I have read plenty of people say it works with Cyrus. The question is how bright is too bright? The Dynaudios also sound like they could do with a bit more zing. Basically will I be suffering nasty highs if I go for the Cyrus-685S2 combo? Or should I save up for the new version of the CM1s? Or other suggestions? I don't like 'roll off' but I don't like harsh or overpowering trble either. One reason I ask is that the Cyrus, whilst in my opinion fairly neutral, can sound bright with the wrong speakers, like when I tried hooking up my cheap Dali Zensor 1s to it. Would the B&Ws have similar problems?

I would prefer to buy new and have a budget of £500ish.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS