Speaker Cable Question (Very new to Hi-FI, sorry if this is obvious)

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have what is probably a very obvious question to all you users/experts/connoisseurs on here, so I am really sorry if you get a million of these sort of posts!

I have recently joined the world of hi fi, mainly in order to play my vinyl on decent equipment, I haven't ever owned a hi fi before so it's quite a big learning curve currently. I have invested in a Marantz PM6005 amplifier and a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20 , after quite a long amount research and deliberation. After reading reviews and the budget I had, it seemed the best fit for what I wanted.

But now, as it's on it's way to me I am now a bit stuck about which speaker cable to get, I know I definitely want it to be terminated as I need the flexibility of being able to unplug all my equipment and more importantly, I am not completely comfortable soldering/splitting cable myself, especially as the speakers are expensive (for me anyway).

So my question is:

Will 2 QED Silver Aniversary XT cables with 4mm terminated banana plugs fit into both my amplifier and my set of speakers, if I buy a cable with banana clips at both ends? I don't want to order them, only to find they do not fit, especially as they are not returnable.

I can't seem to find any information on this really.. any help would be hugely appreciated. I honestly have tried to find this out myself but can't seem to find any solid evidence about if it will be what I need.

I rang richer sounds and the "expert" says "yeah that should be okay I should imagine". Wasn't convincing enough for me, so I've turned to here for some proper advice!

Thank you

matthewpiano

Hello, and welcome to the forums. Good choice of equipment there. The Marantz is a very capable and flexible amp, and the Concept 20s some of the finest speakers under £500. More importantly they will work very well together.

Yes, both will accept the banana plugs. The binding posts on the speakers and the amp will both have little plastic plugs pushed into the top of them. If you remove these (usually a finger nail can get underneath the edge of them to do this) you will then be able to plug the banana plugs straight into the top of the terminals.

Hope this helps. Do let us know how you get on!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Fujee said:
But now, as it's on it's way to me I am now a bit stuck about which speaker cable to get, I know I definitely want it to be terminated as I need the flexibility of being able to unplug all my equipment and more importantly, I am not completely comfortable soldering/splitting cable myself, especially as the speakers are expensive (for me anyway).

Matthew's answer above is absolutely correct, though I would add, if you do choose not to terminate the cable with banana plugs, you do not need to solder the cable to either the speakers or amp, it would be connected by baring 1cm of the speaker cable at the ends, then screwing in to place using the terminals.

Saying all that, pre-fitted banana plugs are the simplest option.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for such a quick reply, that is just the information I needed!

I did spend a very long time deciding what to buy, so I am glad forum experts are agreeing it was a good choice! I am especially excited about the speakers. However, the in built DAC on the amplifier is also exciting in itself!

Back on topic:

I was concerned because I read that banana plugs are banned in the EU? But I read that this was because people stupidly plugged them into the mains, as european sockets are the same size? On the manual for the Concept 20's it says banana plugs are against EU safety regulations, this is what gave me doubts before I spent money on some cables. But I assume because UK plugs are different they are allowed to be sold here?

One more really obvious question: For two speakers, I will need to buy two of those cables with 4 plugs in order to get left and right read to go?

Thank you once more, this is a great forum.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Fujee said:
One more really obvious question: For two speakers, I will need to buy two of those cables with 4 plugs in order to get left and right read to go?

Thank you once more, this is a great forum.

Yes, you want two lengths of cable. Plugs come in pairs for negative and positive connections, so to terminate both lengths of cable at both ends, you would need 4 pairs of plugs.

Are you fitting the banana plugs yourself, or will your supplier be doing this for you?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Fujee said:
But I read that this was because people stupidly plugged them into the mains, as european sockets are the same size?
. Why would anyone think to regulate againt natural selection eh?

But seriously, yes it is a great forum and welcome aboard. Glad your first experience is proving fruitful.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
They are made to order by QED on Amazon (which is why they connot be returned), so they will be fitting them for me. I would never trust myself doing it to be honest.

They are 30 pounds for one cable at 2 metres, does that seem reasonable?

Yes it's already been very helpful, can't wait to plug my pro ject in!

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
That seems a little pricey for 2m of QED Silver Anniversary XT. I think it's around £5 a metre. Maybe try hificables.co.uk and they'll also fit the plugs. I used to have the QED and I bought some gold plated banana plugs from Maplin and fitted them to the amp end only. Left the speaker ends unterminated.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Petherick said:
Fujee said:
But I read that this was because people stupidly plugged them into the mains, as european sockets are the same size?

Why would anyone think to regulate againt natural selection eh?

But seriously, yes it is a great forum and welcome aboard. Glad your first experience is proving fruitful.

Evolution in action.......!

Mrs (Dr) DDC's favoured phrase for those prefering to believe what the read on the internet rather than the opinion of medical professionals who have actualy examined them.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have the Concept 20 speakers and I'm using banana plug terminated cable. Cable is Chord Carnival Silverscreen purchased and terminated by an online company called futureshop. Plugs fit fine.

I'm replying to this thread as a colleuge had some banana plug terminated cable, which would not work with the Concept 20. They would not go into the speaker terminal far enough to stay in. The speakers use a thin metal bar to bridge the speaker termainals at the back, which I guess was getting in the way. He had to get different 'z-plugs' put onto his cable.

See 'Warning 2" on this page: http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_QAC_CONCEPT20_ST_&CAT=STSPEAK&ID=6684&UNIQUEID=26485134

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Fujee said:
They are made to order by QED on Amazon (which is why they connot be returned), so they will be fitting them for me. I would never trust myself doing it to be honest.

Is this what you've ordered/are about to order?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/QED-Silver-Anniversary-Speaker-Airloc/dp/B005T3X8NY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1389644819&sr=8-5&keywords=qed+silver+anniversary+xt

It does seem expensive, but it's those banana plugs that are pushing the price up.

Dommer

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Seems about right for a pair of QED cables with airlock terminatin on both ends.

Sorry about the double post - this site does not work properly on an iPad

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Binman said:
I have the Concept 20 speakers and I'm using banana plug terminated cable. Cable is Chord Carnival Silverscreen purchased and terminated by an online company called futureshop. Plugs fit fine.

I'm replying to this thread as a colleuge had some banana plug terminated cable, which would not work with the Concept 20. They would not go into the speaker terminal far enough to stay in. The speakers use a thin metal bar to bridge the speaker termainals at the back, which I guess was getting in the way. He had to get different 'z-plugs' put onto his cable.

See 'Warning 2" on this page: http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_QAC_CONCEPT20_ST_&CAT=STSPEAK&ID=6684&UNIQUEID=26485134

So Banana plugs work with your concept 20s fine but your friend has trouble with them?

I saw that website when I was considering purchase, and it concerned me. What do you suggest I do?

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Fujee said:

Is this what you've ordered/are about to order?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/QED-Silver-Anniversary-Speaker-Airloc/dp/B005T3X8NY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1389644819&sr=8-5&keywords=qed+silver+anniversary+xt

It does seem expensive, but it's those banana plugs that are pushing the price up.

Yes those are the exact ones I was going to get. I haven't bought anything yet, I am waiting til I get paid.

Isn't that worth it though, they are airlocked and recieve great reviews all round. Or am I just falling for the marketing haha.

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The QED banana plugs are about £15 per set so another £10 for 2m of cable and £5 for labour.

Are you sure you couldn't do it yourself? All you need is some wire cutters and a screw driver, I'd just get some cheapish banana plugs and save my cash. No soldering required!

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I reckon I could do, its just a matter of learning how. I guess I want the peace of mind, I have something that can be plugged in and ready to go. I am learning as I go along with this really, so for the first time Id quite like it just done for me, so I can enjoy my records then look into learning properly on a spare set. Probably sounds really silly to you lot!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Putting banana plugs on to speaker wire is a very simple job, honestly. And I agree with the poster who said cheap banana plugs would be good enough, as air locking will not alter the sound in any way (IMO), it's just a way of making more money out of people.

Try these instead http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Easy-Banana-Plug-Pack/dp/B00169BIF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389652642&sr=8-1&keywords=banana+plugs

Get the cable here (order 4, or do 2 seperate orders of 2) http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-cables/qed/silver-anniversaryxt/qed-sil-anniv-xt-cab

This is how easy it is to add banana plugs to your speaker cable, but you do not need to do the soldering part, it's not that important .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggySiZc3Q4c

You'll save £26 doing it yourself.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I like getting properly terminated cable as its neater. I would suggest that you get banana plugs for the amp side and spade connectors for the speaker side just to be sure. Or you could get the same cable as me from futureshop.

My friend ended up returning his cable to be re terminated with z plugs.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Putting banana plugs on to speaker wire is a very simple job, honestly. And I agree with the poster who said cheap banana plugs would be good enough, as air locking will not alter the sound in any way (IMO), it's just a way of making more money out of people.

Try these instead http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Easy-Banana-Plug-Pack/dp/B00169BIF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389652642&sr=8-1&keywords=banana+plugs

Get the cable here (order 4, or do 2 seperate orders of 2) http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-cables/qed/silver-anniversaryxt/qed-sil-anniv-xt-cab

This is how easy it is to add banana plugs to your speaker cable, but you do not need to do the soldering part, it's not that important .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggySiZc3Q4c

You'll save £26 doing it yourself.

Thanks, this is good advice. Looks very simple.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Binman said:
I like getting properly terminated cable as its neater. I would suggest that you get banana plugs for the amp side and spade connectors for the speaker side just to be sure. Or you could get the same cable as me from futureshop.

My friend ended up returning his cable to be re terminated with z plugs.

I am really leaning towards doing this, which cable was it you got exactly? is it on futureshop? a link would be hugely appreciated. Is your cable different to your friends then? Sorry for so many questions.

So it would be two lengths of cable with 2 Banana plugs at one end and 2 'Z plugs' on the other?

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Cheap banana plugs.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-banana-plug-with-gold-plated-contact-black-l87az

Cable is available from hificables.co.uk or futureshop.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
The exact cable I have is Chord Carnival Silver screen. Link from where I purchased from is below. Just select length, select termination type and then put quantity of 2.

The cable is quite thick so is quite difficult to hide.

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/chord-carnival-silverscreen-speaker-cable-p-1133.html#.UtWqwnNFCAg

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I've just tried some cheap banana plugs I had spare. They do fit buy are very loose.

From photos of the maplins ones linked to above you'll notice that the shaft of the plug has 'springy' bits along the shaft. As the plug cannot be fully inserted into the speaker connector the 'spribgy' bits do not adequately secure in place.

The plugs I have are the same diameter along the shaft and fit nice and tight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts