Speaker cable advice needed by beginner.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to the world of Hi-fi and I'm completely over whelmed by the huge choice of different speaker cable that's available.

I obviously don't want to make a poor choice so I'm wondering if anyone could offer some recommendations on what would be a good choice of cable for my set-up, which is, as follows;

Rotel RA 935BX Amp

Yamaha KX580 Tape Deck

Technics SL-PG580A CD Player (Possibly due to be upgraded sooner rather than later)

Yamaha TX 400 Tuner

Mission 774 Floor-standing Speakers.

Unfortunately my budget is a little tight at the moment, up to £6 per meter max (£4-£5 would be better).

I just want a single run (as opposed to bi-wiring) and the cable mustn't be too bulky as it needs to be run under the carpet.

I need approximately 6-7m's for each run.

Music taste's are mostly pop, as opposed to classical, i.e. female vocals, Dire Straits, dance, etc. etc.

I havn't a clue where to start other than seeing that QED Silver Anniversary XT and Chord Silver Screen gets good reviews from What Hi-Fi . Would either of these be a good choice?

I briefly enquired in a local shop and the sales assistant commented that QED XT may be a little 'too bright' for my system and that the original QED Silver Anniversary may be a better choice. His opinion was that I would be better off looking for a copper cable, as opposed to silver.

I've just rearranged my lounge and the old cable I was using no longer reaches, so I'm music-less until I make a decision.

Please Help! Any advice and/or recommendations would be really appreciated. Thanks.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
TBH for that budget you'll not get better than the Chord Carnival Silverscreen
emotion-5.gif

I agree that the QED XT cable can be a little bright at times but it's not that bad.

Others on here will favour more standard, basic cables available from the likes of Maplins but IMO having gone down that road before; the likes of Chord and QED know what theyre doing and their budget cables really help to open up a system
emotion-1.gif

JakBurn

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
I'd second d_a_n1979 sugestion of Chord Carnival Silverscreen! Totall transformed my lil denon, Just dont make my newbie mistake,

Check which way the arows are pointing!

emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Getting the cable under the carpet was a main priority so in the end I opted for 2 X 10 metre lengths of QED Silver Anniversary XT.

I got a good price and superb service from a place called HiFiCables.

Not connected in any way just a very satisfied customer.

All connected up and discretely hidden away under the carpet and I'm very pleased with my choice.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts