Question Headphone advice for beginner

OllieC

Dec 22, 2021
Visit site
I'm looking to get my first pair of high fidelity headphones. I have a Leema Tucana II amp (not the anniversary version) and can't for the life of me find the specs for the headphone amp section. That's what will be driving the headphones. Maximum budget is £600, but very happy to spend less to get more bang for the buck.

Please throw me some suggestions!

I'm looking to get my first pair of high fidelity headphones. I have a Leema Tucana II amp (not the anniversary version) and can't for the life of me find the specs for the headphone amp section. That's what will be driving the headphones. Maximum budget is £600, but very happy to spend less to get more bang for the buck.

Can you get to listen to any? That's a good price for headphones.
Do you want closed back or happy with open backed?
Closed back if others in the room and you don't want sound leaking out. If you're on your own I would always go for open backed.
If open back the Sennheiser 660S2 are very good.
Whatever you get they need a 3.5mm jack plug by the look of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
You will get a lot of suggestions!
For £600 you can get some pretty nice phones.
Much of it depends on your taste in music and how you like your sound.

You may consider perhaps buying 2 pairs of £300 headphones? This way you can switch between different 'sound signatures' depending on what you are listening to.

In the UK you can purchase the AKG K701's ridiculously cheap and IMHO they are fabulous. They are true reference phones that have stood the test of time. When released in 2006 they were very expensive...in the USA they still are ($500)!
Along with... the Sony MDR7506's. At only £100 they are a great compliment to the 701's as they reproduce incredibly deep bass when listeing to, for example, electronic music.
Neither of these phones are 'picky' about what is driving them... but the better the source / amp. the better they sound.
You also need to find a 'fit' that you like and a cable that works for you.
It seems that manufacturers are skimping on cables these days. Despite being a fixed cable, the 701 has a thick but very soft and pliable cable that makes no noise when you move you head around. The Sony's curly cable is of good quality too.
Good hunting...

Gray

Just don't be too guided by price Ollie, by thinking you need to spend all of that £600.

I've bought (and subsequently returned) headphones costing more than double the price of my current ones, with a "they must be better" mentality. They were not.

Sound varies massively, comfort also varies and is only slightly less important.
Try to choose by listening, to make sure they suit you.

Reactions: lakelandstu70

jjbomber

Quad ERA-1. Well worth a home audition.

Mickersby

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site

I went to Sevenoaks and listened to a few options inc Austrian Audio HIX55, X15, X60 and took my current cans with me. I ended up buying the Focal Elegias but there was a massive difference between the cheapest and most expensive but more subtle ones between the more expensive ones. Def worth trying as many as you can.

Reactions: jjbomber

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I went to Sevenoaks and listened to a few options inc Austrian Audio HIX55, X15, X60 and took my current cans with me. I ended up buying the Focal Elegias but there was a massive difference between the cheapest and most expensive but more subtle ones between the more expensive ones. Def worth trying as many as you can.
Taking your own cans is an excellent control strategy. Also, if you have a good portable player, controlling for source can also help. Some shops can vary the sources, etc. "behind the scene", and the more you can control in comparisons the better. Same holds for in-home trials and comparisons.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts