Sony KDL52W5500 backlight bleed??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In the review of this TV here there was a mention of another of Sonys dodgy backlighting issues. I have read a few similar customer reviews but the vast majority of people say what a great screen it is. Maybe it's just the untrained eye of the average customer not picking up the backlight bleed or could it only affect certain screens?

I am weighing up picking up a bargain 09 model or if not getting a new screen from one of the 2010 ranges. I had budgeted around the £2K mark until I came along this offer Should I wait for the 2010 models or snap up this bargain and save myself almost half of what I was expecting to spend? I could then blow the extra cash on a cracking Blu-Ray player without upsetting her indoors too much!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

that is a very good price , but id be buying from a bricks and mortar store , only after agreeing a no quibble refund , should the tv not be tiptop , id say you may have to pay a few hundred more , but at least you will have peace of mind ....

id check out that site too , havnt seen it before myself ...

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:

that is a very good price , but id be buying from a bricks and mortar store , only after agreeing a no quibble refund , should the tv not be tiptop , id say you may have to pay a few hundred more , but at least you will have peace of mind ....

id check out that site too , havnt seen it before myself ...

I agree the price does look a bit too good to be true, especially with a free stand and HDMI cable
emotion-7.gif
I'll have to look into this one. Hopefully there is an owner of this TV out there that could add something regarding the backlighting issues.

A

Anonymous

Well I can confirm the site seems legitimate. Not the best customer service by the looks of thing though, some seem perfectly happy but others advise avoiding them like the plague
emotion-42.gif

Reviews here

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that tip Sonycentre. I assume that offer is available in all Sony Centres? What would be the length of time I could return for a full no quibble refund if there were any issues with say.......backlight bleed?
emotion-5.gif
A lot of people reviewing this set absolutely love it so I might have to go and check it out for myself. Bargain price, and I do love Sony for motion handling and Blu-Ray, how would it handle PS3 games?

A

Anonymous

i tell you what , if 3d isnt your thing ,or you want value , that tv , from a sonycentre , with a 5 year warranty , is a great deal ...

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
hi daveee,Its a cracking tv.even more so at that price,we are selling off our currant stock,to make way for the new tvs,we have already had the new x303 and 403 models in 32,37,40.but not allowed to get them out yet..........aaaarrrrrrhhhh.but these tvs are at the starting point of the new range.As for ps3 on this tv.....yep its a corker,same with sky hd,and blu-ray.freeview pictures are good to.As regards to backlight bleed,we dont have a problem refunding anyone whos buys one of our sets.I have been off today(day off) but return tomorrow.motion is great,works better on freeview,i would turn off when using for skyhd,ps3,bluray playback,or just have it on standard.hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:i tell you what , if 3d isnt your thing ,or you want value , that tv , from a sonycentre , with a 5 year warranty , is a great deal ...

I'm thinking so to, then my mind says "wait for the Panasonic Kuro" if you can call them that. Can you get a regular 50 inch 2010 Panasonic without paying for all of that unecessary 3D rubbish being chucked in? If not my mind may well be made up.......once I've actually been and seen the Sony that is!

A

Anonymous

sonycentre:oh just a note.sony centres are all franchises,we own 6 in our company,as well as super-fi.so the deals will differ.

Cheers, Sutton Coldfield is my nearest store, it's only 10 minutes away. I'll have to get onto them
emotion-21.gif

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Daveee,i would not put 3d to bed yet,Im off to sony next month to see all the new tv range,and have a 3d demo.If your looking at a 50+ inch tv that would be good for 3d,imagine playing wipeout hd in3d....wow pass me that bucket lol.People we negative when hd first came out.Now look how that has unfolded.but if your not bothered about 3d.now is the perfect time to bag a bargin......the balls in your court.

A

Anonymous

Daveee:
maxflinn:i tell you what , if 3d isnt your thing ,or you want value , that tv , from a sonycentre , with a 5 year warranty , is a great deal ...

I'm thinking so to, then my mind says "wait for the Panasonic Kuro" if you can call them that. Can you get a regular 50 inch 2010 Panasonic without paying for all of that unecessary 3D rubbish being chucked in? If not my mind may well be made up.......once I've actually been and seen the Sony that is!
well the new 50v25 3d pannys are said to cost £2k , the 50v20 , is the same , without 3d , so im guessing around £1500 , both are surely likely to be as good as a kuro , from the scraps of info ive gathered on the web , they are very very good tvs , personally ?? id buy the new panny all day long , maybe the 3d one , but if someone is looking for value for money , the sony is certainly that , imo...

A

Anonymous

sonycentre:Daveee,i would not put 3d to bed yet,Im off to sony next month to see all the new tv range,and have a 3d demo.If your looking at a 50+ inch tv that would be good for 3d,imagine playing wipeout hd in3d....wow pass me that bucket lol.People we negative when hd first came out.Now look how that has unfolded.but if your not bothered about 3d.now is the perfect time to bag a bargin......the balls in your court.

Maybe I should wait a little longer then. I suppose if I could get a good quality 50 inch screen around the £2K mark with 3D it might just future proof me a bit more if it does take off. I think I'll delay another month or two and see what happens. Cheers for the advice
emotion-21.gif

matthewpiano

£1099.99 is a very good price indeed and the W5500 remains an excellent TV. (Just to be completely transparent I don't work for the same company as sonycentre).

In the end, though, the differences between the old and new sets are about more than just 3D. Freeview HD and the new Bravia Internet features are also attractions, so you have a decision to make about whether these are important to you. There is nothing to say that you have to go for the Full 3D LX903 range - a 3D-ready model would keep options open for the future without breaking the bank.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:£1099.99 is a very good price indeed and the W5500 remains an excellent TV. (Just to be completely transparent I don't work for the same company as sonycentre). In the end, though, the differences between the old and new sets are about more than just 3D. Freeview HD and the new Bravia Internet features are also attractions, so you have a decision to make about whether these are important to you. There is nothing to say that you have to go for the Full 3D LX903 range - a 3D-ready EX503 would keep options open for the future without breaking the bank.

Why is buying a TV more difficult than buying a house now?!
emotion-7.gif
I'm thinking at least a "3D ready" model now. I know what I'm like, if it all goes well in six months time I'll probably only want to replace my TV again. Probably change my mind again in 5 minutes though........

A

Anonymous

@sonycentre - Hi - is this offer still going at your store? cheers daws

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:£1099.99 is a very good price indeed and the W5500 remains an excellent TV. (Just to be completely transparent I don't work for the same company as sonycentre).

In the end, though, the differences between the old and new sets are about more than just 3D. Freeview HD and the new Bravia Internet features are also attractions, so you have a decision to make about whether these are important to you. There is nothing to say that you have to go for the Full 3D LX903 range - a 3D-ready model would keep options open for the future without breaking the bank.

Just to say that 52W5500 is a fabulous TV, paid £1499.00 nett for mine after the discounts, 5yr warranty etc from John Lewis, so if you can get £1099.00 from Sony Centre....................do it

Amazing tv, HD unbelievable, power chord upgrade has brought more into being as regards SD, truly wonderful set

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts