Question Projector for bedroom ceiling

Malcolm73

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I'm look for a recommendation for a projector to project to my bedroom ceiling, for viewing while lying in bed.

It seems to me this use case has some different feature requirements than a main living room / cinema room set up:

• Picture quality: not a main priority (think bedroom TV, but for projection). And the curtains will be closed.
  • Small effective screen size for a project: Don't want anything too vast (viewing distance will be is <2m remember)
  • Must support device facing ceiling: devices that aim to flat and that have cables sticking out of the back won't work. So either side-mounted cables, or a short tripod.
  • Not ceiling mounted.
  • Image flip and keystone correction required: don't want the image upside down if projector is position near head of bed!
  • Prefer something cheaper: ideally under £1000
It'll probably have a fire stick plugged into it as a video source.

Essentially, I'm looking for convenience and ease of installation over perfection. Has anyone here actually done this? Can you recommend a suitable projector?

Screenshot 2022-11-20 144518.png

I saw this promotion image, and it's just what I want. Unfortunately it seems to be a mock-up for a non-existent or discontinued product.

doifeellucky

Might be easier if you simply sat up in bed and projected onto a wall, unless you are physically incapable of doing so of course....
I was going to say the same. Despite that marketing image I think after a fairly short period it might not be that ‘comfortable’. Sitting up you can make minor adjustments to your posture, body angle, etc etc. Lying down your position would be fairly fixed. Moving the image towards your feet to offset this would then mean too much image distortion. Maybe it will work but I think you might tire of it fairly quickly. I’d just get some big cushions to support you. That’s what I use on a day bed for my cinema room.

Last edited:
I was going to say the same. Despite that marketing image I think after a fairly short period it might not be that ‘comfortable’. Sitting up you can make minor adjustments to your posture, body angle, etc etc. Lying down your position would be fairly fixed. Moving the image towards your feed to offset this would then mean too much image distortion. Maybe it will work for you but I think you might tire of it fairly quickly.
It's not that it's how many projectors do you know of that can be mounted to work vertically??
I guess you could screw them to a vertical prop.....
"Not ceiling mounted" to project onto a ceiling?
Who is this guy?
Hopefully not a spammer ....

doifeellucky

It's not that it's how many projectors do you know of that can be mounted to work vertically??
I guess you could screw them to a vertical prop.....
You’d just need some sort of clamping mechanism to hold it vertically and about six inches off the floor/table to allow for cables. It’s certainly doable.

Alternatively…

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
to be honest the only advantage they have to a 70 inch smart TV is that the screen can be a bigger but the problem is it relies on the input from at least 4k . Also adds the problem that the room has to be dedicated as a cinema room and dark too . I personally would get a 70 inch an d okay you want it on the wall too. Then there is a problem you need a proper screen for the projector then you say 2 meters cannot see this would work at all and lies in bed too or no a no no here . If you insist on one they are under £600 Mate has bought one for Fifa Footie live events

Malcolm73

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion @doifeellucky .
I checked out the What Hi-Fi review for the Samsung Freestyle on your suggestion. The only thing that gives me pause is that it's a fixed zoom, which isn't ideal since moving it closer and further back from the ceiling is limited to putting it on a table top or the floor. The review says you get a 30 inch image at 80cm distance or 100 inch at 2.5m. So it sounds like it might be reasonably in the sweet spot, but it would have been to be adjustable.

If no other options come up I'll definitely consider it.

Malcolm73

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site

Exactly. That's why I came here for advice, AI ears. And no, I'm not a spammer, just someone with a challenging scenario who was looking for advice. Thank you for such a warm welcome to the forums.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
there are a number of 4 k ones around the £500 mark . with UHD as well . best to look at these first . Hisense does one at £2250 Sony does one at £6k . Hisense is okay to 120 inches no mention what the length and width is but suspect at least 120 inches at 4k 8.3 million pixels

doifeellucky

to be honest the only advantage they have to a 70 inch smart TV is that the screen can be a bigger but the problem is it relies on the input from at least 4k . Also adds the problem that the room has to be dedicated as a cinema room and dark too . I personally would get a 70 inch an d okay you want it on the wall too. Then there is a problem you need a proper screen for the projector then you say 2 meters cannot see this would work at all and lies in bed too or no a no no here . If you insist on one they are under £600 Mate has bought one for Fifa Footie live events
Not true. I have mine at 90” and 1080 is fine at the distance I sit from the screen.

Hi, I'm look for a recommendation for a projector to project to my bedroom ceiling, for viewing while lying in bed.

It seems to me this use case has some different feature requirements than a main living room / cinema room set up:

• Picture quality: not a main priority (think bedroom TV, but for projection). And the curtains will be closed.
  • Small effective screen size for a project: Don't want anything too vast (viewing distance will be is <2m remember)
  • Must support device facing ceiling: devices that aim to flat and that have cables sticking out of the back won't work. So either side-mounted cables, or a short tripod.
  • Not ceiling mounted.
  • Image flip and keystone correction required: don't want the image upside down if projector is position near head of bed!
  • Prefer something cheaper: ideally under £1000
It'll probably have a fire stick plugged into it as a video source.

Essentially, I'm looking for convenience and ease of installation over perfection. Has anyone here actually done this? Can you recommend a suitable projector?

View attachment 4083

I saw this promotion image, and it's just what I want. Unfortunately it seems to be a mock-up for a non-existent or discontinued product.
The only product I know of which might satisfy your needs, is this one as it can be directly pointed upwards:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts