Sony BDP-S370 network abilities?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I'll be getting the Sony 370 soon. I have an ethernet port next to my hi fi so will be able to enjoy iPlayer etc.

But can anyone tell me what else this machine can do on a LAN? Ideally I'd like to be able to stream photos (and video to a far lesser extent) from my iMac upstairs... might this be possible?

A

Anonymous

i have just bought one of these and while i cant comment on iplayer (not had time to try it) i have tried out DLNA functionality, i can watch re-encoded DVD from my windows home server (running twonky media server), i could also access these dvds using DLNA on my panasonic G20 TV but video kept dropping out, crashing and reverting back to start making the panasonic DLNA experience a waste of time.

i would have thougth that if you had a mac compatable DLNA media server then you would be able to do all that you wish to, i tried music and pictures stored on my server using panasonic TV DLNA and that worked nicely, it only started wobbling when i tried dvd films, the sony 370 handles videos nicely so its processing capabilities are up to scratch for network streaming,

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Red

I've just downloaded Twonky after Googleing it.

Is your connection wired or wireless? Mine will be cabled so I wonder if the problems you've had are due to wireless connection problems?

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm having a few troubles with the DLNA functionality of this player. Pictures and music both stream fine, but I'm finding it quite picky about what video it'll play. AVI and DIVX stream fine, but it'll only play about 10% of MPEG2 TS files I've taken off my old Topfield freeview recorder. This is using minidnla and twonky on my ubuntu server.

I'm hoping the next firmware upgrade will make the dlna functionality a bit more reliable as this is the main reason I upgraded to this player.

A

Anonymous

running gigabit over cat5e so i know its not the network causing the g20 issues as im accessing the same content over the same network when playing the same films using the sony 370

have fun with twonky ;) ... it does have its moments getting configured but once running it seems pretty good

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi all ...

Just to let you know that I questioned Sony on some of the players video streaming capabilities.
I asked if it would simply pass-through the signal over the network to the TV... or... upscale it along the way like the PS3 does.

They confirmed that it will only pass-through.
So, if you have low quality files they will stay that way.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well I'm not having much luck with this. I've tried both Twonky Server and EyeConnect and with each the 370 can connect to the server and see the folders etc but each time when trying to view / play a file I get 'file corrupt or not supported', or 'cannot find playable file'.

As a test I copied some sample music, movie and picture files to a USB stick and it can play it off there no problems...

Any ideas? It's difficult to know if the problem lies with the Mac server, the network or the player itself. My thoughts are it's the player as I get the same area using different media servers.

A

Anonymous

Same here. Have connected to router via ethernet cable and it found the network in seconds. Am using a choice of Windows Media 11, Twonkymedia and Serviio (in desperation). They see most of the files (weirdly not all of them) and play some of them but not all of them. I thought maybe it was because of the file type extension but some of the files are just basic WMV files and they do not play thru any of the media servers. I've tried changing the file extensions etc but with no luck. I think I'll try reading a file off a USB stick and see if that works. At least that will give me the confidence to know that the player is capable of playing all the file types it's supposed to. The S370 came free with my new Sony 40EX503 and it also has streaming capability. In theory the TV does not support as many file types as the S370 and yet it sees and plays some of the files that the BD player won't. It's so frustrating. I've contacted Sony and they just give me a stock answer. The case is still open so I might get somewhere but am not too hopeful.

With a bit of luck we might be able to resolve the various issues thru this forum. Fingers crossed!

Here's hoping. Ian.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

It does seem to be the player doesn't it? What was the response from Sony? and whom did you contact? I'll try the same and maybe we'll get somewhere. Enough people seemed to have reported the sound drop-out issue which, by all accounts, has a fix on the way...

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I went thru the Sony UK website and the FAQ's with various bits of kit. Seeing as they didn't answer the question properly, you have the option of posting the problem to them. They replied to my initial question of networking via the TV but am still waiting for a reply with the issues thru the Blu Ray player. I have a Lacie Lacinema streaming from my PC in another room which works with absolutely everything but would rather get the streaming working properly thru the Sony than spend £85 on another Lacie or Western Digital little black box. What I find frustrating is a number of reviews that say they got the networking features working absolutely perfectly with a number of different file types!! However, I did see a post from one poor guy who couldn't even get the machine to see his network and he'd been trying for over six weeks now!

Together we can beat this....or we get a bulk discount from Western Digital.....Lol.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

I've just submitted my gripe to Sony. However, I noticed on their support site a mention of the firmware upgrade to allow this being available July 2010 - as opposed to June 2010 in the specs I'd read pre-purchase. So I'm wondering if we simply don't have this ability yet?

Failing that I'm wondering whether it's a file permissions / sharing issue of some sort...

A

Anonymous

Ah...interesting. I hope you're right. Perhaps one day it will all magically just work fine. I used to stream via an X box and it wouldn't allow certain file types mainly MKV format. You had to convert them to MP4 format and then rename it .avi. I tried some of these files last night and the player saw them fine but unfortunately they suffered from the stuttering play back that I've read elsewhere is all too common. I'm hopeful that it is just a firmware update issue. I just wish Sony would get their finger out. What does confuse me still is that I have some very basic WMV files and it will not play them either, so this update will have to be pretty wide spectrum.

Hope you get a quick reply from Sony Tech. Keep us posted. Ian.

A

Anonymous

It took Sony a few days to get back to me. They actually have a technical help line listed on their site but I'm not sure how much it costs. It would however get a quicker result. I didn't check last night....was there a new firmware update yesterday? Are you able to play any file types at all? I can "see" most of the files (but not all), and can play about 50% of them. I'm sure you're as frustrated as me. You try any number of combinations and get absolutely nowhere!! A friend of mine has a Sony PS3, and even using it wirelessly, he gets to play anything and everything, although admittedly he does limit the file size ie. no HD files. You would think that a newer Blu Ray player would be better than the older PS3 and would have ironed out some of the flaws by now. You'd think by limiting the file size and file type it would cure all our woes except as I've said before, I have some small file types that will not play either. Why the hell Sony can't just fix this simply is beyond me. Western Digitals phone number anyone???

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
This update has made no difference to the DLNA streaming for me, I still can't play more than about 10 or so of my video files, strange when all are MPEG2 transmission streams off the same PVR.

According to the Sony site (http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/downloads/downloads.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&f=BDPS37X_v623&m=BDP-S370) the firmware update from yesterday is purely a "HDMI connectivity improvement".

A

Anonymous

My photos are about the only thing that have appeared from the start and in original resolution. All my files show when I connect to router via TV but some files disappear when connected to the BluRay. SONY....what the heck is going on??

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well the good news is I've had a reply from Sony. The bad news is that I would have got more help from my two-year-old. An extract...

1. Create a shared folder on your server.

2. Check your security
settings.

3. Restart the setup.

I have included the
following product support link for your reference:

http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/dvbr/bdp/bdp.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=BDP-S370

Should
you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Great - obviously I'd tried those really useful suggestions and why support depts refer you to pages that don't cover the subject I'll never know!

Back to square one.

A

Anonymous

im inclined to think this is as much about file formats as anything else, my dvd files are (were) in dvd structure (vob files etc) and these would play nativly but it would only play each segment on its own so was useless for watching a dvd, i re-encoded some of these into a single file and it plays just about every one i have re-encoded, id also saw that the reproduction quality is also pretty good, i get better quality playing a dvd directly but its not a massive amount of difference, clearly having to re-encode every file is a nightmare,.

i dont run a mac so i cant offer any better advice relating to that platform but adding/playing files from a hard drive does not depend on a media server so its possible there could be issues with the media server as well

fwiw i havnt tried pictures or audio as i have sonos for audio and no desire to sream photos to the tv screen. also i have not updated the firmware to the version released in teh last few days/week.

im hoping manufacturers are able support to a widfer range of codecs in the near future as DLNA has lots of potential that isnt fulfilled just yet

are you happy with the configuration of twonkey? information on this is a little vague but i seem to remember youtube giving me some useful tips in initial configuration, good luck

A

Anonymous

Hi Roger, I got a similar "stock" answer from Sony the first time I contacted them regarding streaming to my TV but pursued it and got a more personal answer the second time round. I'm still waiting for a reply regarding the BluRay player but am not too hopeful. I think ultimately it will come down to a firmware update to cover all file types. It wouldn't be so bad if it was only one file type it doesn't recognize and you could figure a "work around", but it covers so many file types it becomes pretty useless as a media streamer. It's so frustrating going around in circles all the time. I think I'll phone Sony's technical helpline if I don't get anywhere with their e-mail help. Ian.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Got another equally unhelpful reply from Sony - 'refer to your media server supplier... blah blah blah' fob off.

Am borrowing a PS3 at the weekend so will see if that works... if it does then clearly the Mac, Twonky and my LAN are fine and it's the player.

A

Anonymous

Hi Roger, I'm pretty sure you'll have no probs with the PS3. A good friend of mine has been using his wirelessly for over a year now with only a few file types not being supported. He only downloads smaller files and generally keeps away from some of the bigger HD types and it works great. The files that the Blu Ray player actually works with all play very well and look great on my new TV. It's the ones that it won't play that is the obvious bugbear. Seriously thinking of selling it on E-Bay and buying the WD HD TV streamer. Anyone want a Blu Ray player?? lol. I'm so bloody mined though that I don't really want to admit defeat!! Btw....still haven't received my answer from Sony yet. Wonder if they have a Forum on their support site? Good luck with the PS3. Ian.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Yes I've got the WD HD TV Live on my Amazon wish list as well... But like you, I want to get the DBP to work - as Sony STATES IT DOES !!! grrrrrrrrrr.

If I do have no probs with the PS3 then it at least rules out Sony's fob offs about the server, file formats etc.

Am picking it up tomorrow.

Doubt you'll get much for the 370 as they're under 100 quid new. I sold my old BDP S550 for £80 which wasn't bad.

A

Anonymous

Hi Roger, Just noticed a guy from Sony on another thread regarding a problem with a forum member not being able to connect the 370 to his network at all and I've highlighted our problems to him. Be interesting to hear his opinion. Ian.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well surprise surprise! I borrow a PS3, plug it into on the same LAN cable and it works straight away, I instantly get my photos, video and music from my iMac. There is clearly an issue with the 370. I've Googled this extensively and found loads of posts from people with the same problem but not one from anyone who's got it to work.

Surely by law if you advertise a feature on a product it must work?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts