New Sony BDP-S1200 - looking for a bargain?

My old Sony 370 still plays perfectly but the catchup that we watch, mainly BBC iPlayer, is no longer supported. The Sony telly we bought at the same time (4 years ago, I think) still has iPlayer, but the picture quality was always far worse than the BDP.

I posted about it here:- http://www.whathifi.com/forum/blu-ray-players/sony-bdp-s370-iplayer-closing-in-september

I thought Chromecast might be the solution, but I've seen some misgivings about the wireless signal reliability. Our broadband in this house is not great (though fibre is supposed to be imminent) so we need to maximise what there is, hence I've used an ethernet cable. I'm therefore leaning towards a replacement BDP, and this basic Sony got a good write up in Which?

Has anyone here experienced it?

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the previous BDP-S1100 and I am very happy with it. Upscaled DVD's look really good and the network features work well.

bigboss said:
Not seen this player. iPlayer should work fine. Are you hard wiring it? Which TV have you got? Does it not already have iPlayer?
Hi bb. I would use it with a Sony 32" telly of similar vintage to the BDP-S370 it would replace (c. 2010), but only because of the discontinued iPlayer function. That's why I only need a cheapie, but am not keen on (wireless) Chromecast or Roku (seems like beta!) widgets. The telly also has iPlayer function, which ironically still works, but it always had an inferior picture, for reasons I cannot explain. Worse than VHS, whereas our newer Samsung in another location looks almost as good as live TV.

It is hardwired via ethernt so no need for wireless. Attracted to Sony because it shares remotes and Which? gave the 1200 a good quick review. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts